Babymetal - Metal Galaxy New Album and World Tour

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Andromalia, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Who's hyped about it ? BABY-METAL_4191214514159896432.jpg

To be honest I don't expect much from the music other than generic genre stuff but I do expect a good live show out of it and yes I have my VIP ticket stashed and I can start saving up for merch.
    Previous album did have a few good metal songs though so I hope we'll get some decent ones again.

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  2. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I wouldn't say I'm super hyped, but I'm looking forward to it. Like, I'm not counting down the days until new stuff, but I'm definitely excited to give a listen. (I really dig their newer material, as well as the older stuff.) Suzuka is a great vocalist, imo.

3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Saw them in New York. Great show.

4. Ikke

Ikke A Dream Cartographer

All of the singles, with the exception of Starlight, have underwhelmed me. I want to hear the studio version of Tattoo. Still looking forward to hearing the rest of the album and seeing them again.

5. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Yep, I'm a fan. Kinda. But I don't like papaya, I am more of a mango lover.

6. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Babymetal are like how I felt about Hatebreed in high school; don't necessarily listen to their records, but I'm fucking there when they come to town live.

I mean, I haven't seen Babymetal yet, but I guess I'm going a roundabout way of saying I want to?

Razerjack likes this.
  7. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I love most of Metal Resistance, apart from the crappy last couple songs that sound like Dream Theater album closer ripoffs, but this Papaya song does not do it for me AT ALL. Bad, bad stuff.

8. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Apparently they played at a festival in Melbourne last year. The festival was predominantly punk/pop bands so I had to pass. Spewing I missed out.

Will definitely have to see them live. And excited that Leda's back in the Kami band too.

9. Andromalia

Well, they're legal now. (non japanese speakers, go fetch a dictionary to get this one)

Zhysick likes this.
  10. Kaura

Kaura Squier 4 lyfe

I have nothing against the vocals, in fact I quite like them but it makes me cringe how the instrumentals seem to go on deaf ears, at least for casual fans (who don't play instruments or listen to metal otherwise).

11. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

I want to go! They are playing near me in October at the Marquee in Tempe.
    For anyone who has attended a show, are there young children there? I have an 8 year old who would love to go but I'm not sure it would be safe.

12. Andromalia

If you have seats, I'd say there is no issue. Standing in the pit *is* rough though, because for all the "popness" of the band they sound like a legit death metal outfit live and there's some serious moshing going on. The only different thing is, sometimes there's a guy disguised as Pikachu in the pit, because it seems the band also draws anime/japan/idol fans of which there are quite a bit in France. The pit in La cigale in Paris was the wildest I've seen in years. Not violent hardcore moshing mind you, but people just jumping all over the place, kids wouldn't be comfortable there. Then, it also was a small-ish venue so it has a tendency to amplify crowd reaction. (I saw them twice, once in La Cigale in Paris in 2014, you can check videos on YT, and once at Download but the show was cut short because of technical issues)

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  13. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I should really go see them one of these days. The bassist in my band loves them and goes to every show they do in Tokyo.

14. Andromalia

There's a good chance the band won't exist for very long now, they are relics in idol terms. At least at some point they'll rotate the cast I guess.

15. mikernaut

mikernaut pixel pusher

Got my ticket to see them here at The Warfield Theatre in SF. :eddie:

Haven't been to the venue before, but it looks pretty cool with good visibility of the stage.

Hollowway likes this.
  16. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

On the other hand they're probably too successful to change it up too seriously. 99% of idol music is absolute garbage even by j-pop standards and the groups only last as long as their twitter tag trends. The older more successful groups with consistently popular material like Perfume tend to last a long time.

17. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Since that's already happened with Yui, and Babymetal is run by a talent agency like Morning Musume, it'll be the case if the other 2 original singers decide to step down.

18. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

And, right next door to the Crazy Horse strip club.

19. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Jeez, tickets are almost 80 bucks even without fees at the closest venue (St Paul). I don’t think I’ll be able to convince anyone else to check them out with me! Somehow I’m not surprised they’d be twice as much as your average medium name metal band.

20. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I've been to a lot of gigs and even tame ones you can still get some lad shoving through everyone trying to get back to his spot or a guy throwing elbows into anyone who comes close to brushing off his gf. At that age you should really go with sitting, he will also be able to see! Arrive after the main queue has died down and leave once things have filtered out with more room to move.

crankyrayhanky and narad like this.