B-52 at-100 tone

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by rick_fears, May 12, 2013.

1. rick_fears

rick_fears SS.org Regular

Picked up a used modded at100 for cheap not too long ago and I've managed to dial in some pretty good tones. The mod Produces more gain via switching out a few capicators. This amp is really good for the price. My only complaint is the tone is too brittle for my liking. Sounds perfect when playing anything except leads, then it's just too much for me to handle lol. I'm looking for a way to smooth out the tone a little bit. I've already tried EXTENSIVE eq tweaking but to no avail. It's just the natural tone of the amp. I've thought about a re-tube and not familiar enough with tubes to figure which ones would work for what I need. Any suggestions, comments, and/or snide remarks are appreciated lol

Rc7x (707's)>boss ge7 (set to subtle mid scoop with high mids emphasis)>biyang co10x comp (level: 3 o'clock sensitivity: 3 o'clock)> BBE green screamer (level: 1 o'clock tone: 2 o'clock gain: very little to none)>ISP deci>b-52 at-100>carvin v412 cab w/ Brits

Amp settings (o'clock)
    Gain 2
    Low res: 3
    contour: 2
    Volume: 1
    High: 1
    Mids: 3
    Bass: noon.. ish

2. Luke Acacia

Luke Acacia STRAYA

When I get home ill check on the settings I run mine at.

3. rebornself27

rebornself27 SS.org Regular

Mine was a modded version for more gain as well' you can try eminece swamp thangs or guitar warehouse lead 80 speakers they are smoother which will help with the at100s brittle highs those carvin cabs tend to have alot of brittle top end with the stock speakers

4. rick_fears

I don't have the amp with me so all of those settings are from memory lol. I have actually never used my carvin cab with another head, or my head with another cab, so it could be the cab.

5. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

Try the first gain channel boosted, its a bit less bright than gain 2. Also are you using the b52 speakers? They are real big on the highs. I bought a pa speaker eminence beta for my pod pod trying to do the frfr thing. The b52 at1216 speakers seem more like full range than the eminence beta! They are great for the pod but can make some amps seem to bright.

I love the at100. Its so versatile. Ive bought and sold tons of amps but i always keep the at100. Good backup that can pretty much do it all

Edit sorry i didnt see the cab u were using. Not sure about those speakers.

6. Wrecklyss

Wrecklyss Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder

i've never owned a B-52, but i've also never owned an amp that didn't improve tonally from re-tubing with JJs

7. VBCheeseGrater

^^^ jjs helped my at-100 a ton, especially with some of the cheapish sounding noise issues. Most high gain amps have some noise, but this was excessive. the stock preamp tubes were lousy, once I slapped in some jjs alot of the noise cleared up

8. rick_fears

Ok so retube sounds like a good idea. What set do you guys reccomend?

9. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

my votes on ruby's they sounded great in my mesa triple rec

10. VBCheeseGrater

Id say jj's, only because they worked for me and i haven't tried too many others in it frankly. I'd lean toward lower gain tubes if there are separate options since the amp has more than enough gain as it is. Use an OD pedal boost to get into modern metal without all the hiss of cranking the gain.

11. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

I'd hit up Laura at valvequeen and let her know what you want more/less of out of the amp. She should be able to hook you up with the right tubes to get what you want. But I do know that JJs darken the tone of amps a bit, and tame some of that harshness. After that, speakers would be your best bet to try. Something not super midrangey the way V30s are. Maybe something like a k100 or swamp thangs...or even t75s would probably work well.

12. rebornself27

rebornself27 SS.org Regular

What this good sir sed :yesway: Looking back at my old threads on harmony central i had jj's in my at100 which helped but the biggest difference was the swapp from v30s to eminence swamp thangs and texas heats in my randall xlt412

13. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

This. x1000000000

I used to own the AT-212. I put some JJs in it and the amp cleaned way up. It became more tight and focused in the gain and not as harsh sounding.

If you go with eurotubes.com then I would recommend the 6L6 set with the gold pin ECC803s in V1 of the preamp. The gold pin will help smooth out the sound, and make it a bit more fluid sounding. Here's the link for it:
    https://www.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=110&sub_category_id=111

14. rick_fears

Regarding jjs, what's the difference between the regular and high gain set? I mean one will obviously offer more gain correct? But anything other than that? Any added saturation, natural compression, or anything like that? The way I see it, if I'm going to spend almost $200 for a set of tubes with a gold pin what is fifteen dollars for a little extra juice? Lol

15. rick_fears

And due to the reccomendation to not use the high gain set in the cobos, which run hotter, I'm assuming the high gain set runs hotter than the standard gold pin set?

16. Wrecklyss

Wrecklyss Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder

i have never used the gold pin sets as the regular JJs have always proven reliable and consistent. I could imagine them having their purpose in hifi or recording environments, but most of my playing is jamming with some buddies so it's not for me.