B-52 AT-100 Decapitation - Combo to Head

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by VBCheeseGrater, Apr 15, 2013.

1. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

I've been doing alot of running two amps at once lately or really switching between the two into one stereo cab, so i need portabilty and stackability. This is mainly my back-up amp but i still use for a gig here and there as it kinda does it all - cleans, rock, chug metal (with a boost).

Anyhow, turned the heavy as hell 2x12 combo into a head

before...
    [​IMG]

after..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not exactly a pro level conversion but it works. Basically removed the speakers and reverb tank, used the jigsaw to saw off the top 7 inches and bottom 2 inches, joined them with liquid nails, removed the baffle altogether and used the rear plate for the front. Oh yeah, black spray paint (still drying in the photos) to cover my the blemishes. The best part? Lost about 30lbs it feels like.

2. Vicious7

Vicious7 Vegetables

That's sick!

3. VBCheeseGrater

^^ Thanks man - looks alot better once the paint has dried, a bit less shabby. Plus it always helps to be stacked on a 2x12 with other heads haha!

Of course, it all of a sudden sounds better to me too! :nuts: :nuts:

4. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

Nice Job.
    I know these amps get a lot of bad preess (and the early ones deservedly so)
    but I had an AT-100 2X12 combo for about a year, and I ran it into external 4X12 cabs and It hought it sounded pretty freaking great (especially for how in expensive it was to grab) try this thru a Recto cab , you'll probably love it.

5. VBCheeseGrater

^^^ yeah even this one broke down on me, but to be fair it was my third and the first two were fine. I got it fixed and it's been good ever since, even the reverb. The stock speakers are decent but really bright, so they add to the fizziness. I run it through some Texas Heats these days which rolls off that high end nicely.

Another thing i've just noticed is that the lower gain distortion channel with a boost sounds pretty damn good for heavy rhythm stuff. more defined and less fizzy than the high gain channel. I also like the fact you can throw a patch cable in the effects loop and use it as a solo boost - it's just a very versatile amp - pretty good cleans too. But yeah, the build quality was a problem, hard to keep it working well if you're draggin it all over town.