AxeFx3 vs FM3

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by HungryGuitarStudent, Jan 11, 2021.

1. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

I was planning on getting an AxeFX3 last December but my girlfriend losing her job due to Covid put a wrench in those plans.

Since then, I've been looking at Fractal's AxeFX3 vs FM3 features page (https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Comparing_the_FM3_to_the_Axe-Fx_III) and I'm wondering if an FM3 can meet my needs, which are recording guitar tracks with "reasonable" amounts of effects (i.e. one drive, compressor, delay, reverb, nothing super fancy).

If I understand correctly, the FM3 can't capture IRs (which I don't mind) but can load custom IRs. However, it doesn't have an "IR block" as the AxeFX3. I don't see this as a big deal, but maybe AxeFX3/FM3 owners can correct me on this.

Are there any differences in the availability of amp, cab and effects provided by the FM3 (besides delay blocks missing the "diffusion" parameter in the FM3) that you judge to be problematic?

Basically, I'm trying to decide if I should get an FM3 or wait a while to get an AxeFX3, or if an AxeFX3 was overkill to begin with...

P.S.: I don't want a QuadCortex or a Kemper.

2. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Get the iii if you're worried the FM3 wont cut it. Whichever you get, you'll be able to sell for the other.

HungryGuitarStudent likes this.
  3. HungryGuitarStudent

@budda Good point! Basic question to which I can't find a quick answer: do they both have the same default presets?

4. budda

Assuming no based on the dsp differences. Im sure the fas forum has a proper answer lol.

5. HungryGuitarStudent

I could find factory preset lists on the fractal forums, but not detailed signal chains for each preset. Some presets have the same name, but I haven't found a way to compare FM3 vs AxeFx3 signal chains. Anyhow, not that important, but I liked some stock axefx presets so I was wondering if they were on fm3. Thanks again for the help :)

6. HungryGuitarStudent

Sold an old guitar I wasn’t using, bought an AxeFX3, due to arrive in two days, problem solved :)

FancyFish, cwhitey2 and budda like this.
  7. budda

:yesway: