Axe FX2 + Ibanez M8M 8 strg how do i...

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Mantra46, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Mantra46

Mantra46 SS.org Regular

Get a sound that is super heavy but while still being crisp and not noisy while i play?

E.g. i like the djentleman preset (i think it's like preset 74) but it's very noisy... can't seem to get a sound that is heavy enough while still being super tight/crisp... pllzllllll help ;(

2. Fromeasttowes

Fromeasttowes Well-Known Member

Double track djentlemanly with one of the recto presets. Its godly.

3. TimTomTum

TimTomTum SS.org Regular

Dude, sorry having a M8M and AxeFX2 you should kinda know how to dial in a tone.

Yo_Wattup likes this.
  4. Rook

Rook Electrifying

^Rubbish, the dude can do what he wants hahaha.

You have a bright guitar with a powerful pickup that has the attack in just the right place, so you're in good stead. Using the lighter strings (lighter than what I'd use anyway ;) ) means you'll also get a bit of extra brightness and presence, all contributing to a solid tone.

Look around for the FAS Modern preset, somewhere in the 40's I think. Ditch all the shit Fractal put in there and reset the amp block, keep the cab though. What you're gunna want to do, and what works best in my experience, is get the gain right down, to say 2 or 3. Lower gain settings increase the amount of presence that goes into the front of the amp, the more gain you add the more the very high end gets suppressed and then compressed out, losing that extra gritty tightness. If gain on 2-3 definitely isn't enough, go to the 'comp' control and click enter, turning on the 'sat', saturation, this makes the gain seem fuller (like there's more of it) without sacrificing that nice, bright n tight gain you're getting from the lower settings.

With the FAS Modern, you can use basically anything layout you want with regards to the tone controls. If it's fizzy, back off the presence, if you're gunna record and it's close to clipping cut the depth control right down.

I like the Mills 12K cab with FAS modern.

Datura likes this.
  5. Universe74

Universe74 SS.org Regular

That is like saying if you buy a Porsche you should know how to drive it. Most cannot.

6. The Grief Hole

The Grief Hole SS.org Regular

Nonsense. He should be doing what he is doing, learning and playing.

7. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

yeah and you know what those kind of people are called :lol: ah I joke...

8. JPMike

JPMike Totally Random

Don't hate guys!! :p

9. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Have you messed around with the noise gate or compressor settings much? It could also help to make your own patches from scratch or based off of the presets rather than rely on stock presets for your sounds.

10. clintsal

clintsal Humbub

I really liked the cornford amp sim with a boost in front. Very full sound without overwhelming lows or highs. Can't remember the cab I used, most likely a V30 combined with a German or Metal.

11. Rook

Rook Electrifying

^Good combo, I mostly use moderately low gain amps like the Plexi 50 High with a weenie bit of clean boost and low cut, very rich, fat and tight.

12. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

If you want overly tight give a try to the Fryette D60 model. Works very well with a low tuned guitar.
    As a general tip, I now *always* dial my patches with a drum+bass recording looping in the daw. Works way better than dialing a patch with the sole guitar when you don't exactly know how to dial a patch from experience.

13. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

Try the DAS metal/VH4 too, it's got a very controlled low end and a real tight & dry sound

14. thrashcomics

thrashcomics SS.org Regular

get a life

Type_R3387 likes this.
  15. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

How long have you had the unit? Because honestly there's not much I can tell you unless you've had it for at least a couple months and have really tweaked it and learned what things do. If there's one thing I've learned about the AxeFX II is that you NEED to learn how to make things from scratch. What works for one person doesn't work for another, and some crazy awesome patch someone made on their guitar may sound like utter rubbish on your guitar.

My best advice to you is to find an amp you like the sound of, and just spend lots of time messing around with the settings on it, trying different cabs, try with a drive pedal in front, it's the best way to learn in my opinion. :)

16. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Problem is tricks that worked with previous firmwares don't work at all with FM10. I've had to re-learn how to dial in a hi-gain sound so many times.

17. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

First off you need to ignore the jealous shithead scum that has shat on this thread so far.

Then you need to start learning more about the AFXII in detail, and start with an empty patch.

You want to first find a good amp model. The recto and FAS modern are common ones used. Dial it in until it starts sounding good, be careful with too much gain, and spend time with the cabs and mics and stuff to find something that sounds good to you. Now, when it sounds nice, add a boost, like a tubescreamer model. Gain all the way down, volume up till the amount of gain feels good. Adjust the settings on that and see what they do. Find a setting that sounds nice.

Now put a gate in front of that. Adjust it carefully, and get to know how it works.

It's all about spending time with it, starting with the very basics, and working your way up. You will only be efficient with it once you are familiar with the different bits and pieces in it.

18. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

I've never had that issue past minor tweaks when I update firmware, but either way... That still reinforces my point, you need to learn yourself by doing. If someone told you what settings to use for a patch and somehow it worked perfectly, you're still stuck as soon as the firmware is updated because you never actually learned how to get the sound you want, so you don't know what parameters will give you that nice treble you like, or help the amp react a bit tighter, etc.

Better to learn and modify than to copy and and go back to square one every firmware update.

19. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

Just keep working at it. You have everything you need; you just need to learn to use it effectively. Mess with it, and over time, through trial and error, you'll find what works and what doesn't.

People my age and older had to teethe with shitty 10-watt solid state amps, cheap guitars, and maybe a crummy distortion pedal. Learning to make shitty gear sound passable is great practice for squeezing every bit of tone out of a given piece of gear. You dang kids with your Lundgrens and your Fractals are learning to fly on fighter jets instead of biplanes, and the wealth of available features probably detracts from the fundamentals of dialing in an amp right.

You should probably keep it simple for now. Just work with an amp block (don't mess with the in-depth parameters too much), a cab block, and maybe a Tubescreamer.

20. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

I started with a Zoom multi-fx pedal, a stock ibanez RG150DX, and a Fender Frontman bass amp (didn't have a guitar amp for a long time!)

Edit: so yeah, basically you have everything you would ever need to get perfect amazing quality tone. Nothing but top shelf. You just need time, experience, and practice.