Axe-Fx III is now $1999 in the US and Canada

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Lorcan Ward, Oct 11, 2019.

1. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I don't know, MetalHex did have a GT-100. Are you sure you don't need to check IP addresses?

AxeHappy likes this.
  2. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

:rofl:

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Syntax is too good.

AxeHappy, narad, Ribboz and 2 others like this.
  4. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

No, people still love Fractal, just Line 6 doesn't sound like cardboard ass anymore, so now people also love them.

AxeHappy, Metropolis, laxu and 2 others like this.
  5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Thats good to hear! It took them long enough.

AxeHappy and GunpointMetal like this.
  6. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Honestly, since the HD series stuff has sounded fine (as long as you're using a good IR) but the Helix/Native actually FEELS nice to play.

mikah912 likes this.
  7. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

We already established he hasn't played any of the stuff he's been commenting on except for one Boss unit that he owns.

XPT707FX, AxeHappy, budda and 4 others like this.
  8. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

To be honest, the only time I've even come close to telling the difference between real amps and modellers is juiced through a real 4x12 cabinet. Short cable straight into 120watts of valve just has a feel that the modellers (while they get stupid close to it) haven't quite managed to do yet.

9. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

I disagree. With a clean power amp into a nice cab the axefx sounds extremely real (or if you like, extremely non realistic and even more optimized than real life).

I want to make this clear about the helix, it is a good unit. It made me say “ok, this is good.” Meanwhile, every axefx unit from the standard to the 2+xl has made me say “That’s just unreal...” accompanied with an ear to ear grin.

I’m sorry if you haven’t had a chance to check out the difference in person. To each their own...did I also mention that my helix unit literally just failed to start sometimes?

That’s classic line 6 for you right there. From pod xt, to pod hd500, to helix rack all of them have had buggy software, updates that fail, and occasionally unreliable starts. The helix was the worst offender though by far.

Elric and mnemonic like this.
  10. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

Helix is not buggy or failure-prone. That's just FUD. And some of us have checked out the difference in person and had a completely different experience.

11. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

lol. The fb owners group is just a long list of 2.8 update failures.

12. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

Hence them quickly putting out 2.81 and 2.82?

13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I don’t think your argument says what you think it does there buddy.

AxeHappy, Ribboz and Soya like this.
  14. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

With my axe FX ii I think after the Ares 1.0 update about 8 months ago it finally sounded on-par with my tube amps when compared Like-for-like (into a high wattage solidstate power amp into the same cab).

Before then, it sounded great by itself, but when I compared directly to one of my tube amps, the tube amp always had a slightly better feel, and it took a hell of a lot less time to get a good sound.

I get that we don’t all have the same ears though. To some, it ‘got there’ years ago, to others, it’s still not there yet.

AxeHappy, Elric and c7spheres like this.
  15. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I'm still really wanting to try one when I get the cash. Do you find it has the dynamics and feel and breakup that tube amps have? To me the sound is basically there but I don't read much about the feel portion of it. To me even if I get the sounds I like if the feel and interaction isn't there it's a deal breaker for me. I'm really happy with my current setup but I always wanted to have magic box like this unit to reduce the size and weight etc. because I just can't move my stuff by myself.

AxeHappy likes this.
  16. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

For what I play I think the dynamics are right. But I do play high gain like 90% of the time.

I do have a patch using the fender 5E3 tweed deluxe model which I use often with my strat, it goes from clean to crunch based off dynamics, and it works fantastic for that. But I don’t have a real 5E3 or other tweed-style or clean amp to compare to.

The thing is with a real tweed amp you need it quite loud to get a good crunch or edge of breakup clean tone, whereas with the axe FX, I can turn the model’s gain up without changing the actual volume. When the in-room volume is set low it doesn’t feel super dynamic, but when it’s up very loud, like a real amp, where digging in hard can be painful to the ears, you play with more dynamics and I don’t want for anything, really.

AxeHappy, laxu and c7spheres like this.
  17. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Awesome! Now I'm gassing more for one on these, but I also am gassing for and Aristides too. First world problems. Decisions, Decisions.

AxeHappy and mnemonic like this.
  18. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

how would you guys say the Axe Fx iii sounds compared to Neural DSP stuff?

19. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

To be honest Fractal updates are full of .01, .02 updates that fix all kinds of bugs like parameters not working right, incorrect values for whatever etc. It's very normal in software development. I have had my Axe-Fx 2 not start up or crash a few times and my Helix has failed to start a few times. No big deal and not likely to happen in the middle of a gig either.

I don't agree that the Fractal stuff is night and day. I got the Helix very close to my Axe-Fx 2 to the point that I had a difficulty discerning between the two for feel or tone running through a pair of Genelec studio monitors.

It's a wonderful time to be a guitarist because there's so much really good gear out there that you can pick and mix as you please and choose what works for your uses. None of the modelers out there are truly bad anymore and we have mostly gotten rid of the "like a Fender Champ but crappier sounding" class of tube amps too.

XPT707FX, mikah912, c7spheres and 2 others like this.
  20. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

But now there is an FX III that has 4x the processing power. Obviously its better than the helix! ;)