Axe-Fx III is now $1999 in the US and Canada

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Lorcan Ward, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

[​IMG]

It could be a long time before that price drop effects EU and other distributors but thats a tempting price. It will also push the re-sale value of the II and Ultra way down. Not to mention a used III would be worth less than $1800 now.

@zwen, Vyn, XPT707FX and 4 others like this.
  2. narad

narad Owned a Zune

I have a feeling adoption was pretty low. They've been hounding me non-stop since getting on the III list when it was first announced. I guess that's getting to be a pretty good price though.

@zwen, AxeHappy and DiezelMonster like this.
  3. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

That's a pretty decent price! Although, I'm still waiting for the damn FM3 to show up.

Vyn, Mathemagician, RobertVII and 2 others like this.
  4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

As they get better and better, cheaper and cheaper on the used market, the less uptake on the new stuff immediately.

I want a III, but I'm totally happy with my IIXL+%#<>£.

@zwen, AxeHappy, Veldar and 1 other person like this.
  5. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I am sure that is an issue. Many people just dont feel like the need the III over the II.

@zwen and AxeHappy like this.
  6. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Im probably going to get one.

The906 likes this.
  7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I think you're on to something there. There was so much hype with the II that people upgraded or jumped to buy one. I've barely heard anything about the III this year.

Veldar likes this.
  8. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Because all the hype has been on the Helix, which makes sense. It's just as good as the Axe III and it's cheaper. From what I've seen, adoption rate on the Helix has been huge. It was only a matter of time until Fractal was forced to do something like this to be able to compete.

Veldar likes this.
  9. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

is the helix as good or better with high gain metal stuff? The majority of the adoption for line 6 is Praise and Worship and we all know Jesus doesn’t get down to grindcore in a large audience.

Avedas, AxeHappy, Strobe and 6 others like this.
  10. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Something like Helix will always have higher adoption since it’s made in much greater quantity, and has much wider distribution. You can try one in a store and buy one from almost any retailer.

I imagine adoption probably has been lower than the Axe II, however. I think maybe we have passed that exponential improvements phase of amp modeling, and now the main difference between axe II and Axe III is power-user stuff. Whereas the difference between Axe Ultra and Axe II was pretty major after a short time.

Think of it like early smartphones. Difference between an iPhone 1, iphone 3, iphone 4, were pretty major. But at this point the difference between an iPhone 7, 8, 10, is really only noticeable if you’re a power-user.

That’s just my take though.

ImNotAhab, Avedas, Elric and 9 others like this.
  11. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Depends how well you can dial it in.

Is this the new permanent price btw?

12. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

As a Helix user from the release and occasional fractal user, the Helix is EXCELLENT for just about everything, given you're not giving yourself option paralysis by microtweaking just because you can, as is the Fractal stuff with the same logic. I still think Fractal's amp modeling has a very, VERY slightly better feel when playing through a real guitar cab, but it was not a $1000 value in difference (I'm counting a foot controller and expression pedal in the cost, because what good is a rack unit if you can't control it, and what good is a floor controller with no expression pedal?). It wasn't even a $100 value in difference, IMO, ESPECIALLY for high gain tones unless there is a very specific amp model you have to have that the Fractal has. Kemper feels better than both of them, but the UI, lack of FX, and limited adjust-ability per profile made it seem more like "lifestyle" purchase than actual useful piece of gear for my use.

@zwen likes this.
  13. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

The biggest improvements now will be miniaturization as that is where are the R&D is in tech right now, and in manufacturing efficiency/cost. Line 6 will always have a lower cost device because they will make/sell more and thus get a better deal on components and manufacturing. The end result is going to be a sacrifice in quality control generally speaking. I'm not rushing out to get either, because honestly, I spend too much time tweaking and not enough playing when using those things.

14. GunpointMetal

OT a little bit, but this is generally the biggest problem I've seen most people have with modelers. They tweak right past great tones because the options are there to do so, then complain that nothing sounds good. I was a doing a recording project years ago with a friend and we dialed in a sick distortion tone, but I came back the next day and she had basically spent three hours after I left fucking with it and then it sounded like ass, lol.

AxeHappy and Thaeon like this.
  15. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I was wondering this as well.

16. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch PRS Guitars

That's a price that's hard to ignore for this unit. They're competing against the Helix that has an insanely intuitive UI, a good piece of hardware, and some good sounds in it.

This is precisely why I left modelers behind; because it was a 4:1 ratio of tweaking to playing. But now my pedalboard is stupid big and the Fractal boxes are starting to look like an alternative to a spaceship pedalboard again.

AxeHappy, sirbuh and GunpointMetal like this.
  17. GunpointMetal

That's how I ended up at them in first place. I was buying extra pedals all the damn time, because I wanted so stack delays, or have wildly varied settings for different parts of a song where it wasn't feasible to bend over and precisely adjust pedals while playing. I guess I'm lucky because I never have that issue with tweaking. I get a sound I like, and I leave it alone, lol. I know a lot of people see a knob, and they have to turn it. My bassist was like that. He liked how simple my setup was, so he got a floor modeler, and proceeded to have different/shitty tones every time he plugged in because he couldn't just leave the damn thing alone once it was dialed in. Now he's got a B7K Ultra and two pedals, an we're all much, much happier about it.

18. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

I got some really good sounds out of my AssFX II. I just couldn't hear myself going direct to PA. Literally ever, even with a monitor blasting at my head. I just couldn't get it to cut or punch like a tube amp. So I gave up and went back to head and cab.

Seriously...

I have a giant board with five pedals and a MIDI switcher on it. Doesn't even take up half of my real estate. Two of the pedals aren't even part of my current signal chain.

19. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I only get the impulse to tweak tweak tweak when I’m not 100% happy with the tone or feel I’m getting.

Back in the day when I had a PodXT, I was constantly fiddling with it.

With my real amps it’s often set-and-forget (if it’s an amp I can get along with).

With the axe FX ii over the last 8 or 10 months, it’s been set-and-forget. Prior to that I would still have tweaking sessions like once a week or so when I started not liking my patch, but the update from however many months ago pretty much ‘got there’ in my book.

20. GunpointMetal

That's just a case of wrong tool for the job. I can use a wedge on stage because my bass player is reasonable and plays through an avatar 1x12 (which is still loud AF in most venues),we run IEMs, and I'm the only guitar player. If I had another guitarist on stage running a "standard" rig, or our bassist insisted on using a fridge everywhere, or we didn't use IEMs, I'd put a real cab and power amp on stage because it's gonna be the only way to keep the stage sound balanced. I know we're drifting OT, but as someone who has been using modelers for over a decade now, it's funny to me to see people complain about a PA wedge not sound like a 4x12....like no shit, it's not a 4x12, of course it doesn't sound the same on stage, lol.

AxeHappy and Thaeon like this.