AXE FX II + AX8 + 18i20 + Midi? how to

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by lewis, Dec 27, 2018.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

So I posted this question in the official axe fx thread but didnt get a reply.

Can anyone inform me of what exactly my band need and how to setup everything so that our macbook backing track, can automatically do patch switching on both our AXE FX II XL and AX8 units?

We are planning to pick up the 18i20 to connect to our laptop for our backing track needs (and to do our own live mixes easier and take our sound with us for every show)
    DAW will be Logic.

Can we daisy chain the Axes together via the Midi out on the 18i20? if not how do we have both communicate with the laptop at different times etc?

A breakdown or guidance on this would be most helpful as we have our first 3 gigs booked for the new year and want an idea on how to do this before at least the 3rd show (march 30th)

Cheers peeps

2. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

You need a MIDI track in your DAW that sends Program Changes with the PC Number of the preset you want. I would probably put each Axe-FX on a different MIDI channel so they dont get confused. You should be able to chain them, but I would probably use MIDI Thru if you can so you dont have lag.

lewis likes this.
  3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

So how would linking them via thru work?
    Like if i need a solo patch change but the other guitarist doesnt, wont the command effect his Axe II on the way to communicating with my AX8?

4. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

You should put them on different MIDI channels. Like, send program change #8 to Midi channel 1 at measure 54, and send program change #12 to MIDI channel 2 at measure 64, etc.... I would create a MIDI track for each device in your song in your DAW, set each track to a different MIDI channel, and then just put the program changes at the correct measures.

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

And is that do-able connected like this:

Macbook > 1 Usb > 18i20 > 1 midi thru cable > Axe Fx II > AX8

?

6. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User

18i20 > Midi In on Axe Fx II > (via midi through on Axe Fx II) Midi In AX8

lewis likes this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Ahh thats great. So you can daisy chain them together. (I was hoping thats the case)
    So you can program it in a way where if the Ax8 needs a patch change but the Axe II does not, the II will ignore the command but the Ax8 wont and will change?

8. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User

Exactly, that's what @Shask was getting at with setting the Fractal devices to different midi channels. If one unit is one channel 10 and you send a patch change on any other channel the device will ignore the command.

lewis likes this.
  9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Ah I see. Now it makes complete sense!!!

Thanks everyone! I know enough to roll the sleeves up and tackle this!

10. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Just to add, firstly I’d use Ableton Live for this, it’s pretty much exactly what it’s designed for! Caveat being know Live well, but you could use their ‘external intrument’ device to wrap all your midi and audio processing up nicely in a little bundle of happiness.

Secondly, don’t forget that you can just use USB MIDI on the Axe as well, you can run USB MIDI to pretty much as many USB devices as you have buses for, so you can potentially save yourself a MIDI thru there, and just put the AX8 on the Scarlett MIDI port.

Have fun!

11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

so USB to AXe II and Midi to AX8? nice.

Good to have options. Off the top of my head I do not know how many USB ports my other guitarists macbook has but could always get one of those 1 > 5 USB things or whatever.
    We do want to sort a DMXIS light thing too long term.