Axe fx help, tuning issue.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Nialzzz, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Nialzzz

Nialzzz The Perseus Veil

Hi there folks, I was hoping someone could help me out. My rack tuner recently gave up the ghost and I've reverted back to using my ultra to tune, only thing is; it is pretty bad for tuning my eight... I can tune to the top 6 to standard and have to do my 7th and 8th by ear.

Not a problem at home, but live... This sucks ass.

I'm quite anal about the way my rig is cabled and I've recently dropped all my pedal board stuff minus the columbus for my diezel and my midi controller for the axe fx.

I can't be bothered moving to the Boss TU-2 to get it going. I've not got the space in my rack.

Can someone help we with the calibration of my ultra, I've searched about and cannot find any direction on this?

It's not even on the fractal wiki site.

2. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Axe fx tuner is so-so with lower tunings, I also use it to record bass and tune at the 12th fret, the tuner is hopeless otherwise.
    I do not know of any trick to correct that with some magic settings.

3. Larrikin666

Larrikin666 Deadite

If it's really bugging you, then you could hit your 12th fret harmonic and tune that way on your lower strings. I've never had that issue though.

4. Sepultorture

Sepultorture Murder Machine

me thinks Fractal needs to jump on this issue and get that sorted, been using peterson strobo software tuner, works like tits

5. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

The only issue I had when I had my Ultra was the low F# or E on the 8 string I had. The 7th string never gave me any problems tuned to B or A :scratch:

As for Peterson I'd be using their software is it worked on a version of OS X that was less than 2 years old... seriously they have versions for iPhone and iPad but not a version I can run on my damn computer :wallbash:

6. Nialzzz

Nialzzz The Perseus Veil

I have to be honest and say I'm shocked at that. The amount of people that use Axe-Fx's with ERG's. ha. Is there not a way with the calibration as it allows you to change that, I'm not clued up enough and so, I've left that alone.

Couldn't agree more my man.

Is this Peterson equipment not really expensive? I've heard very good things about it, but as a platform to tuning guitar I can't say I'm overly keen to spend much money.

I think it may also be down to the tuning I have the 8 at; I tune it as a dropped 7 and pop the 8th on too; EAEADGBE. i'll try the harmonic tuning, let's just hope that my guitars intonation is perfect. haha.

7. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Well, honestly, with what the axe-fx, whether G1 or G2, brings to the table, I don't care if the tuner isn't very good. ^^

8. Nialzzz

Nialzzz The Perseus Veil

I kind of know what you mean, at the same time it seems a strange thing to miss spending time getting right. When you consider how incredible the system is and what it can do, it's just seems strange to me.

It's everything I could want in a rig and yet it seems when there is one small thing I need, it's the one thing that doesn't turn up with the goods.

9. petereanima

petereanima Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

This is relevant to my interests.

If I know need an additional racktuner also, not only is my touring rack now useless (4U: 2U Axe, 1U poweramp, 1U Furman) because i would need a 5U rack now...but also I'm not willing to pay EUR 350 for a racktuner.

10. Nialzzz

Nialzzz The Perseus Veil

Don't worry about that buddy. Are you going to run a pedalboard with your rig?

Just drop the old faithful boss TU-2 in there and you've not made your current rig redundant.

I bought more space in my rack than I needed deliberately, just so I could future-proof myself.

DUDE, you've got a Diezel Herbert too!!! I hardly know anyone on here with a herbert other than me. RESPECT!

11. Nialzzz

Nialzzz The Perseus Veil

12. JPMike

JPMike Totally Random

Korg DTR-1000, I think can do it.

I got 1U space left for it.

13. Nialzzz

Nialzzz The Perseus Veil

I would advise it man, it's a good bit of kit and should last a good while (disregard my broken unit) unless you are silly with your power distribution. ha. Seeing as you have your furman it'll probably stand the test of time.

14. petereanima

petereanima Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

Yeah, USUALLY I have my pedalboard, and there is the good old TU2 on it of course. The thing is: If everything works as I want to work (my Axe still ahsnt arrived, tough I Ordered in January..) - I would have wanted the Axe+Poweramp as touring rig, just to save the very limited space we have in the van. I have already a 4U rack, so it would have been awesome If I could have used it...

:metal: Yeah man, the Herbert is THE amp for me, I have it for over 3 years now, and I am still in love as on the first day. Soooo amazing...

15. Luppin

Luppin SS.org Regular

Are you sure that you don't just have barely usable tension on your lower strings? The Axe-FX supports the use of a bass so I would assume that the tuner would AT LEAST support standard bass tuning, which would include Drop E on an 8 string guitar

16. maccayoung

maccayoung SS.org Regular

I use the neck pickup with the 12th fret harmonic if I'm using the 8 string and tuning on the Ultra.