Axe FX 2 vs 5150 iii what's your preference and why

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Orionsbelt456, Nov 12, 2016.

1. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

Sounds to me like you don't need all the versatility and and tweaking options the AxeFX offers. It seems like it just isn't for you. More overkill than anything.

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Please, since you only quoted what I stated and not what I was responding to, feel free to explain yourself.

3. noUser01

The guy you quoted wasn't saying that the 5150 isn't versatile, isn't easy to carry, etc. But when you put the two side by side, the AxeFX II has the clear advantage on many of those points. That doesn't mean it's better, nor does it mean it's right for the OP (note my last post), but comparisons are supposed to contain some element of fact, and definitely need to include context of things relative to each other.

For example, you can't refute his point about the AxeFX II being easy to record by saying "so is the 5150." If picking the right cab, finding the best speaker, finding optimal output volume, picking the perfect mic or mic combo, getting them in phase, getting a nice room to record in etc. is the "easy" way to record, then what's the hard way? AxeFX II just requires one cable, and some IR's (which the unit has plenty of already). He's not dissing the 5150, nor am I, but your points just aren't comparable. You're attempting to refute things he wasn't suggesting, with things that aren't comparable.

4. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

Give me 10 minutes to setup, a new 5150, a new sm57, and some blankets. Location doesn't matter at all.

Give Connor (or anyone else) a new fresh Axefx and 10 minutes....

No contest. 5150 would destroy in this scenario.

I use small mic adjustments in live rooms constantly to get tones right. This is where the Axefx fails, IMHO. Your bedroom tones won't sound right, and it takes too long to get them right.

5. budda

I think everyone here is on the same page re: apples to oranges comparison.

That being said, the 5150 is regarded as a one-trick pony, despite actually having other sounds. The person I quoted did say "more versatile" however people are quick to dismiss it as not versatile at all. I challenge that thinking.

Re: recording setup, the work you're talking about isn't actually required. You don't need the right cab, or the right output, or the nice room - you just gotta mic it on a V30 loaded cab and go. Yes there are indeed better mic placements than onset/offset near the cone, but to say that the technique wouldn't yield a good result seems a bit incomplete.

There are ways in which two guitar amplifier units are comparable. I made a short list of ways in which the 5150 is equally matched to something such as the axe fx.

The OP will choose something, make his NGD post and continue playing.

6. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

FWIW

cant comment on the 5150 but I had an XL for year and a half and went back to my recto

I still think the fractal is an amazing piece of gear but I just like amp and pedals too much .

when I started using my amp again having the XL, mfc 101 and matrix power map just sitting around was just overkill. I bought when the aussie $ was good so ended up selling the lot for $300 less than I paid. not bad for 18 months of use

after the initial fun of it all the fractal just felt like another computer in my life i need to maintain. decided it wasn't for me

7. noUser01

That's fine, but the guy you quoted wasn't remotely claiming the amp isn't versatile or awesome. He's just pointing out that - in the context of this comparison - the AxeFX excels in a lot of those areas.

You don't have to do those things, no, but you'd be making a sacrifice that you wouldn't be making with the AxeFX.

Well, it's a good thing I didn't say that it wouldn't yield a good result then, isn't it?

Except they aren't equally matched in your list, not remotely, that's the point. To use the same topic to illustrate my point, you're comparing the need for one cable (XLR, 1/4'', USB or AES) to record the AxeFX, vs. having to buy a microphone, mic stand, and cab, learn about micing cabs, needing to turn up your volume to at least something loud enough to bother a neighbour (or invest in an interface with a TON of gain/buy a Cloudlifter), hope that your room sounds good, and hope you can get a fantastic sound. Even if you do get a sound you're happy with, you're limited to just one mic and one cab. CAN it sound great? Sure, definitely, and no one claimed otherwise, so I'm not sure why you're arguing that point. Are the "equally matched" in terms of versatility or how easy they are to record? No.

8. Orionsbelt456

Orionsbelt456 SS.org Regular

Sounds like i should pick up a 5150 iii and decide or keep both. Probably keep both lol

9. budda

Let's look at it from a DIY point of view:

1. You don't have to buy any recording equipment. Rent or borrow. Lots of places will do this.
    2. You don't have to learn how to properly mic a cab. You just have to get a sound you consider useable. Kind of like tweaking patches in the axe fx.
    3. You don't need a great room. See: untreated home studios.

You're talking about doing things the pro studio way, whereas I'm talking about the average dude who bought either option and wants to record.

Conversely, the axe fx has a lot of menus you can go through to tailor that IR and signal path in the box to your exact liking. Some people can and will spend the same amount of time tweaking a signal path in the box as someone else would spend mic'ing up a 5150, and both would get at least average results (assuming competence here).

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter.

10. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

I always find these threads kind of funny, considering 99% of metalheads using Axe Fx always use a 5150 model for distorted tones :lol:

11. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I chose the axe FX and don't regret my choice for a millisecond:

-It's smaller.
    -It's a sound card
    -Haven't bought any effects in ages save a 50$ wah.
    -You can record without caring about microphones, cabs, and the quality of the room. It is overall a more simple installation with a much smaller footprint.
    -I play mostly the friedman and DL50 amps and not the 5150.

An axe FXII, a guitar, a bass, a daw and SD2 and you're set for recording.

If you want to play live, now the story is different.

12. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Here's some thoughts worth mentioning that I think could apply to many people. I think these high end modelers are probably amazing (in the right hands). Ive never played through one, so I can't verify for myself. But I know my tendencies. When given 10,000 options on tone, I get "tone ADD." :)

With a solid platform like the 5150 iii, you get enough tonal variety to cover a lot of bases and at least one tone that many would consider excellent for metal and hard rock -- allowing you to simply focus on playing/songwriting.

13. JumpingInFire

JumpingInFire SS.org Regular

When I saw Polyphia, they ran the AxeFX into the effects return on a couple 5150 combos.

So, just sayin...

[​IMG]

14. Orionsbelt456

Very good compliments on both axe and the 5150 it looks like both are very good. Thank you all for these comments, makes my brain work lol

15. Syphon

Syphon SS.org Regular

All of that thought went into the IRs as well, so just because someone doesn't realize it, all of those considerations still have to be made. In that sense the flexibility of a live amp is instantaneous, as you're forced to make these decisions.

It's a double edged sword. You can definitely make all impulse solutions as complicated if not more so than their live sound counter-parts.

I'd get an axe FX if I had never ending gas and couldn't figure out what setup/tone I really wanted, or had to record multiple bands all the time. Tube amps are just too cheap to pass on anymore.

But hey who am I kidding, as long as he gets one or the other it's not really going to matter.

16. Mr_Marty

Mr_Marty SS.org Regular

AxeFx 2 all the way. The new Quantum 6 firmware is so good its stupid.

17. Orionsbelt456

decided to keep my axe fx 2. also have decided to sell my mesa 2:90. Not because i dont like it but because i need a lighter rig and make room for a power conditioner in my rack. ugh, here we go lol

18. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

With real tube amps you can often end up with a situation where you would be completely happy with the amp's tone if only it had more X and less Y in channel Z. I could not fix that with an EQ pedal with the amps I had so eventually I had several tube amps which got kind of cumbersome. The Axe-Fx 2 solves that situation quite handily.

Most people use a fraction of their modeler, they either pick amp models they are familiar with or figure out a handful of favorites. I have ended up liking some amp models whose real life counterpart doesn't have the features I would need or needs to be turned up way loud to sound good.

To be honest I want to see amp modeling tech used to produce devices that operate like a simple tube amp. Yamaha has been doing it right in this department since the late 90s with the DG-series and now with the THR stuff but they don't sound quite as good as the magic Fractal is working.

19. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Had a 5150-3 50w and Axe FX 2, kept em both for a while but eventually sold the 5150. The real amp still sounded better but the Axe 5150 models are among the best sounding ones in the box so I didn't think I'd miss much... but I miss the 5150 already and am probably going to pick one of the new EL34 5150s, pending a demo