Aw-7 pickup recommendations

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Sdrizis89, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Sdrizis89

Sdrizis89 SS.org Regular

I am thinking about changing the pickups on my ltd aw-7. It is a maple neck thru with mahogany body and ebony board.

It currently has a D'activator which is pretty cool. I love the crunch lab in my 6 string so I'm curious to try it here as well. Another option I'm thinking about are the bkp juggernauts (I know no one has really tried them) but I'm unsure if they will be too djent sounding and not give me the full low end chug and be clear and balanced across the eq. As for the neck I'm thinking of a liquifire if I do not get a bkp set.

The tone I want for the bridge is thrash/death metal (trivium/whitechapel) keep the DA maybe :nuts:
    For the neck I'd like something like john petrucci-ish for leads (smooth clear and full) def not a fan of the DA neck.

Does anyone have any experience with different pickups in the aw-7 or have any recommendations for me? Thanks!!!

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Honestly, the DA will do the sound you're looking for just fine :shrug: after all, that guitar and pickup are what the latest Whitechapel album were recorded with.

For the neck, I'd try out a Liquifire or Air Norton. I've got an LF-7 in one of my guitars and it's really smooth and clear for leads/single lines, but gets pretty muddy on chords with distortion. Clean chords and general clean work sounds great with it though.

3. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I've heard the AW is a pretty dark sounding guitar, which would pair well with a Liquifire in the neck. I'd say keep the d-activator bridge, that's what plenty of people upgrade their guitars TO in order to get the sound you're after.

4. TheWarAgainstTime

^yep. Definitely mess around with the pickup height as well.

What's your rig like? Amp/cab etc.

5. Mike

Mike The Traveler

put the DA neck pu into the bridge position. Get a liquifire for the neck.

6. Symbol

Symbol Well-Known Member

For mine, i shifted the DA neck into the bridge and put a liquifire 7 in the neck.
    With distortion, the chords still ring out nicely with that punch to it. (djenty hahaha).
    I really like the cleans and leads on the neck, very warm and creamy.

Very satisfied with the change.

I'm looking forward to install the juggernauts into the aw 7 soon though :D

7. Sdrizis89

Sdrizis89 SS.org Regular

I am playing thru an engl savage with a marshal cab loaded with 4 V30s.

Looks like I might just keep the DA bridge and swap the neck pup for a liquifire. Will the crunch lab give me more clarity? Is the CL7 tighter than the DA? Really want a tad more clearness on the low A

The juggernauts are soooo interesting tho.... Maybe I'll just put them in a 6 string I have here :)

8. Mike

Mike The Traveler

IMO The Crunchlab is not a great match for the bridge of the AW-7. It has less treble and more bass. The guitar itself naturally has less treble and more bass, so it wouldn't benefit from a pickup with characteristics that enhance that. The D Activator is a very balanced pickup that works wonderfully with the guitar already. People have differing opinions on what exactly contributes to pickup clarity. Lower output and a bump in the midrange tend to be where a lot of people agree. I still stand by my DA neck in the bridge position, but another good DiMarzio that I believe would suit the AW-7 well is the Evolution 7

edit: I reworded my aw-7 tone description as I realized it didn't make sense.

9. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I played an AW-7 a couple times and thought it was a very dark, muddy guitar which, with dactivators, it shouldn't have been. Maybe switch the pots to 1 meg?

10. Sdrizis89

Sdrizis89 SS.org Regular

not really a brightness thing to me which i BELIEVE, and could be wrong, that the pots might just make the sound a little brighter and open it up a little more...(is that correct?) if so, id love them to be a tad more open but the added brightness
    (if new pots will do that) i could do without.

11. TheWarAgainstTime

As far as a more open sound, you'll get a better result from removing the tone knob than you will replacing the volume/tone with higher value pots. The fewer places your signal has to travel, the clearer and stronger it will be.

12. DespoticOrder

DespoticOrder Slave Driver

I've got the ZH-7, which is basically the same guitar. I'm using the Nazgul/Jazz combo, and I love it! I've also got my tone pot removed since people are mentioning that. The middle position is way more usable than any other pickup combo I've tried. The bridge is way punchy with tons of useful freqencies, and the neck is really glassy and smooth in this guitar.

I've also had 81-7, 707, Duncan Distortion, and a D'activator all in this bridge, and I gotta say I like the Nazgul best. I even wanted to swap my Jazz for a 59 until I heard how well the Jazz pairs with the Nazgul.

Both Trivium and Whitechapel tones are way doable.

Hopefully this helped!

13. DostavkaUSA

DostavkaUSA Active Member

yes try it

14. HellGamer666

HellGamer666 SS.org Regular

The AW-7 is certainly a muddy-sounding guitar. The DA in the bridge is probably worth keeping, honestly. Takes a tonne of tweaking to get it soudning punchy and tight in my experience, though. I've always imagined that a Liquifire would sound great through it; after all, you ARE after JP leads. Ended up trading my AW-7 for an EC-1000 in the end, though.

15. themike

themike Chug Life

Alex and Mark just installed a set of Nazgul's in the guitar they're tracking with (Stef Baritone) and they seem to really dig them :2c:

I personally find the Nazgul's too harsh for my taste and went with a Pegasus but to each their own.

16. Sdrizis89

Sdrizis89 SS.org Regular

i hate harsh haha...unless i throw in the new juggernaut set in the future after hearing more demos, ill probably just keep the DA bridge and install a liquifire neck. Now i gotta find a liquifire7 neck pup :shred:
    Maybe a thicker string gauge will help slightly with tightening it up and making it a little clearer. 10-59 is not doing it. want 10-62/64 for B and Drop A

17. Symbol

Symbol Well-Known Member

for my AW-7 i replaced both pots with 1meg. opened up a little.
    The guitar being dark might be because of the thick mahogany wings used.
    But with DA neck in the bridge and liquifire, its more balanced, bright and have that clarity.. There isnt anymore 'dark sound' and chords ring out even under loads of distortion.

Dimarzio D Activator Neck 7 in the bridge - Train of Angels Joe Satriani guitar cover - YouTube

18. Sdrizis89

Sdrizis89 SS.org Regular

problem is, i really don't like "bright"...i prefer a nice big bass, good mids, and smooth not harsh highs. If the DA neck in the bridge is bright, but not harsh, then it might work out for me...ill have to play with both and see what works better.