Audition songs?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Dusty201087, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Dusty201087

Dusty201087 Kenyon class of 2014

Hey all, I'm going to be applying for college soon and luckily my number one college pick only requires you to do the common application arts supplement video, so I get basically total control over what I do as my "audition".

So, what would be some really good/impressive songs to do in the 10 minutes I have?

The only one I know I want to do is Bach Cello Suite (Turned up to 11!) that was done by a fellow forum member :) the other almost 7 minutes I have open though, but I'd like to do three songs total. So here's my list:

1) Song on my classical guitar (classical song)
    2) Bach Cello Suite
    3) Metal song (not just chuging!)

I'd really like to show how versatile I am with guitar playing and that I can be well rounded, which is why I'm not just playing all metal. So if anyone has any ideas, please throw them up!

BTW, for the metal song a seven string song is okay as I'll have a seven string pretty soon :D six string songs are okay as well though!

Thanks for reading, and help will be rep'd :)

BrainArt likes this.
  2. Cheesebuiscut

Cheesebuiscut Loves his Q-tuners

I would say to do some prog but that will take waaaaay more than 10 minutes :rolleyes:

Cover selkies, that's about 7 minutes of sex.

Or sevens! or fives, or waves, or...

3. matty2fatty

matty2fatty SS.org Regular

If you don't have a seven yet I would suggest that you keep your audition to your six string. Not that its impossible or anything, but I know it took me a while to get my head wrapped around it as a complete instrument as opposed to 'a six string with another string.' You should audition with whats comfortable, but thats my my two cents.

Good luck, in any case!

Dusty201087 likes this.
  4. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

For the metal one cover something by Sleep Terror.

5. Rogueleader

Rogueleader Bringer Of Storms

I played death's symbolic. I thought it was a good choice because it a. displays a good knowledge of the fretboard b.has a lot of rhythmic variety.

Also, in my opinion playing metal and classical isn't well rounded. You know that almost every "metal guitarist" auditions with a flashy classical piece. Why don't you do some blues or funk? I'm going to do some Rory Gallagher when I audition for classes next (sophmore) year.

Dusty201087 likes this.
  6. AK DRAGON

AK DRAGON Guitar Popcicle

Classical Song
    Satriani's Tears in the Rain
    Satriani's baroque

Metal
    Satriani Hands in the Air (7 string),
    Keith Merrow's Pillars of Creation

Blues
    SRV's Rude Mood
    SRV's Little Wing

Dusty201087 likes this.
  7. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Play something that involves a fair bit of: technique, phrasing, understanding the fretboard, different tempos and rhythms.

I don't have any great suggestions, sorry.

8. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

I'd recommend doing something jazzy and modal (fusion/prog would work too I guess). But showing that you can both appreciate and understand a bit of jazz is always good in these situations. Given that they're interested in your improvisation skills, of course.

9. Auyard

Auyard SS.org Regular

Aaron Copland's Piano Variations.

I heard it one in a music appreciation class and seriously some of the later stuff in it sounds like it could be set up for some pretty crazy two-handed tapping.

Dusty201087 likes this.
  10. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

Mabel's Fatal Fable!

or maybe Vinnie Moore's cover of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" for something that is more "feel" oriented.

11. Rogueleader

Rogueleader Bringer Of Storms

Look up Steve Howes acoustic stuff.

12. xmetalhead69

xmetalhead69 Unexpected Ally

Waves would be a really good audition piece IMHO.

Dusty201087 likes this.
  13. Metalhead666

Metalhead666 ???

I know its irrelevant in terms of what you want to play for the audition, but i think Die to live by steve vai would be an excellent choice, im learning it at the moment, and the more i play it the more of an amazing song it seems to be.

14. Dusty201087

Dusty201087 Kenyon class of 2014

I wish I could actually play anything by Govan :(

I think what's probably going to happen is I'll record the songs on my seven but probably not really play seven string songs. My six is just pretty terrible and I'm sure I'll be able to play much better on the seven!

That's true... Well I'll certainly look into other stuff as well, thanks :)

I really like Baroque and Hands in the Air sounds great. My concern is that doing two songs by one artist may make me appear fanboy-ish :ugh:

P.S. I actually changed my major to undecided recently. So I will not have to do the common application video, but I am going to try to audition for a music scholarship at Kenyon college, which involves me playing two songs. I appreciate your guy's responses, please keep them coming!

15. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Auditions are usually demanding of versatility.

Either East Wes or Manhattan by Eric Johnson. These are perfect balance between proficient technique and the understanding of jazz phrasing and theory. Plus they're both fun. East Wes isn't that hard either.

For Classical, I'm in a heavy Andrew York phase at the moment, so I'd recommend either Andecy or Waiting for Dawn.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/jazz-acoustic-classical-and-fingerstyle/99843-andrew-york.html

Spratcho also did a great transcription of Candlelight

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/mu...-andrew-york-by-candlelight-tab-finished.html

And if you really want to impress, try Marley's Ghost.

For the Rock/Metal stuff, well, there's plenty, some of the stuff already recommended are good too.

And don't be scared to venture off to other styles like funk and fusion etc. Or kill multiple birds with one stone: say Answers by Steve Vai.

:ninja: Edit: added links.