Audio Interface help

Tech Wrath

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looking for a decent interface to record my guitar with.
All I want to achieve is to run my guitar through my Atomic Amplifire and run that through whatever interface. I don't need 1000 channels for 50 different instruments and ridiculously versatile stuff for a super studio or something but I want to prioritize quality.

I have some ideas but I would like to hear opinions & suggestions from people with experience.

I don't really have a budget but I'd rather not spend more than $800

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Focusrite makes an inexpensive (less than 200usd) interface with one guitar input and one xlr input that looks pretty nice. I have one of their bigger models (Scarlett 8i6) and I like it.

Focusrite interfaces take some flak on these forums but for the money they're pretty good.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
It is worth noting that the Focusrite interfaces are so ubiquitous that their software support is top-notch.
I. E. It will work with your system and if it doesn't, someone else has had the same problem before and solved it.

takotakumi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Used Roland Quadcapture. I used to own the 1st gen 2i2 and then "upgraded" to 2i4. The quadcapture solved the noisy preamps and random restarts that were driving me insane.

The 2nd gen scarletts seem to have fixed this from what I've read, but the roland might be cheaper to find since its been out for more time...

Descent

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Look at Audient, depending on what you can afford: iD22 if you can afford iD4 if you need just a direct type of interface.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Used Roland Quadcapture. I used to own the 1st gen 2i2 and then "upgraded" to 2i4. The quadcapture solved the noisy preamps and random restarts that were driving me insane.

The 2nd gen scarletts seem to have fixed this from what I've read, but the roland might be cheaper to find since its been out for more time...

Oh now that you mention it I have had a few problems with the disconnects on my 1st gen Scarlett. Haven't really seen it since I switched to Windows 10 though.

Never noticed the noisy mic pres, but I might just not be that discerning.

Sopko

Sopko
Reaction score
If you are looking for a few extra channels with nice preamps go for the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 or Pro 40 cuz firewire is always better :yesway:

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
If you are looking for a few extra channels with nice preamps go for the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 or Pro 40 cuz firewire is always better :yesway:

Didn't Apple just deprecate firewire? I wonder if Focusrite will kill off the sapphire line.