Audio engineering books

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by TedEH, Feb 6, 2018.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've been trying to get into the habit of reading more and I'm looking for books I can learn something valuable from. I know the "standard" is the Systematic Mixing Guide, which I've already read - and to be honest I feel like most of the info in that book has already been covered 100 times over by just general discussion in forums and things like that- and it doesn't go very deep into anything. In other words, I don't feel like I really learned anything new by reading it. I browsed a couple of book stores and found... nothing. No audio-related books at all. I'm used to be able to find shelves upon shelves of technical and design and software kinds of stuff, and we've got libraries of textbooks and things at the office- but when it comes to audio, it seems like there's not much reading out there.

Give me your recommendations! Can be music theory, song writing, mixing/mastering/engineering, casually written guides or tips, or thick textbooks, etc., - whatever. If it's about audio or music in some way and I can learn something, then I'd like to hear about.

2. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

I could compile a list of a bunch of classic reads! I'll post it ASAP

EDIT
    This is a list taken from an university's music production faculty, it basically covers most of what I wanted to post. Sorry for the bad formatting, but I just can't find the original pdf online anymore.

Essential Reading (11 items)
    Modern recording techniques - Huber, David Miles, Runstein, Robert E., 2014
    Book | Essential | 8th edition. (Previous editions also available in the library)
    Modern recording techniques - David Miles Huber, Robert E. Runstein, 2014
    Book | e-book. You may have to log in to access (8th edition).
    Music production: recording ; a guide for producers, engineers, and musicians - Ferreira,
    Carlos Lellis
    Book | Recommended
    Music production: recording : a guide for producers, engineers and musicians - Carlos Lellis
    Ferreira, 2013
    Book
    The recording engineer's handbook - Bobby Owsinski, 2013
    Book | 3rd edition
    The recording engineer's handbook - Bobby Owsinski, 2013
    Book | 3rd edition. e-book.
    The studio SOS book: solutions and techniques for the project recording studio - White,
    Paul, Robjohns, Hugh, Lockwood, Dave, 2013
    Book
    The studio SOS book: solutions and techniques for the project recording studio - Paul
    White, Hugh Robjohns, Dave Lockwood, 2013
    Book | e-book
    The mixing engineer's handbook - Owsinski, Bobby, 2013
    Book | Recommended
    The mixing engineer's handbook - Bobby Owsinski, 2013
    Book
    Recording tips for engineers: for cleaner brighter tracks - Tim Crich, 2005
    Book
    Copyright Cleared Resources (7 items)
    1/5
    05/28/15 Studio Techniques (5MS507) | University of Derby
    The Aesthetics of Failure: “Post-Digital” Tendencies in Contemporary Computer Music - in -
    Audio culture: readings in modern music - K Cascone
    Chapter
    Approaching Your First Mix - in - Mix smart: pro audio tips for your multitrack mix - A. U
    Case, 2011
    Chapter
    People Skills: Recording Isn't all Technical - in - Audio engineering 101: a beginner's guide
    to music production - Tim Dittmar
    Chapter
    Cabinets and Enclosures - in - Guitar tone: pursuing the ultimate guitar sound - Mitch
    Gallagher
    Chapter
    How to Achieve Depth and Dimension in Recording, Mixing and Mastering - in - Mastering
    audio: the art and the science - Robert A. Katz
    Chapter
    Microphone Placement - in - Recording drums: the complete guide - Mike Major
    Chapter
    Birth of Recording - in - Sound recording: the life story of a technology - David Morton
    Chapter
    Recording Techniques (10 items)
    Practical recording techniques: the step-by-step approach to professional audio recording -
    Bartlett, Bruce, Bartlett, Jenny, 2013
    Book | Recommended | 6th edition (Previous editions also available in the library)
    Practical recording techniques: the step-by-step approach to professional audio recording -
    Bruce Bartlett, Jenny Bartlett, 2013
    Book
    The drum recording handbook: Bobby Owsinski & Dennis Moody - Owsinski, Bobby, Moody,
    Dennis, 2009
    Book | Recommended
    Recording drums: the complete guide - Major, Mike, 2014
    Book
    The ultimate guitar tone handbook: a definitive guide to creating and recording great
    guitar sounds - Owsinski, Bobby, Tozzoli, Rich, 2011
    Book | Recommended
    Guitar tone: pursuing the ultimate guitar sound - Gallagher, Mitch, c2012
    Book
    Tone manual: discovering your ultimate electric guitar sound - Hunter, Dave, c2011
    2/5
    Book
    The electric guitar sourcebook: how to find the sounds you like - Hunter, Dave, 2006
    Book
    The guitar amp handbook: understanding tube amplifiers and getting great sounds -
    Hunter, Dave, 2005
    Book
    Audio recording basic training: the hands-on survival manual for musicians - Owsinski,
    Bobby, 2012
    Book
    The Producer (3 items)
    The music producer's handbook - Owsinski, Bobby, 2010
    Book
    Behind the glass: top producers tell how they craft the hits, Volume 2 - Howard Massey,
    Book
    How to run a recording session - De Santis, Jayce, c1997
    Book | Recommended
    Mixing and Mastering (8 items)
    Mix smart: pro audio tips for your multitrack mix - Alexander U. Case, c2011
    Book
    Mixing secrets for the small studio - Senior, Mike, c2011
    Book
    Audio mixing boot camp: hands-on basic training for musicians - Owsinski, Bobby, 2011
    Book
    Practical mastering: a guide to mastering in the modern studio - Cousins, Mark,
    Hepworth-Sawyer, Russ, 2013
    Book
    Practical mastering: a guide to mastering in the modern studio - Mark Cousins, Russ
    Hepworth-Sawyer, 2013
    Book
    The audio mastering handbook - Owsinski, Bobby, c2008
    Book
    Mastering audio: the art and the science - Katz, Robert A., 2007
    Book
    3/5
    iTunes music: mastering high resolution audio delivery : produce great sounding music
    with Mastered for iTunes - Katz, Robert A., 2013
    Book
    Session Management
    Ear Training (2 items)
    Audio production and critical listening: technical ear training - Corey, Jason, 2010
    Book
    Audio production and critical listening: technical ear training - Jason Corey, c2010
    Book
    Other useful resources (12 items)
    You may have to log in to access these items.
    Audio engineering 101: a beginner's guide to music production - Dittmar, Tim, 2011
    Book
    Recording studio design - Newell, Philip Richard, 2012
    Book
    Sound and recording - Francis Rumsey, Tim McCormick, 2014
    Book | 7th edition.
    Sound and recording: applications and theory - Francis Rumsey, Tim McCormick, 2014
    Book | e-book. You may have to log in to access (7th edition).
    Music technology - Escrivan Rincón, Julio d, '2011
    Book | Recommended
    Music technology - Julio d' Escrivan Rincón, 2012
    Book | Recommended
    Sound engineering explained - Talbot-Smith, Michael, Talbot-Smith, Michael, 2002
    Book | Optional | 2nd edition
    Sound engineering explained - Talbot-Smith, Michael, Ebooks Corporation, 2002
    Book | 2nd edition. e-Book. You may need to log in to access this title
    Music engineering - Brice, Richard, 2001
    Book | Optional | 2nd edition
    Music engineering - Brice, Richard, 2001
    Book | 2nd edition. e-Book. You may need to log in to access this title
    Loudspeaker and headphone handbook - Borwick, John, 2001
    Book | Optional | 3rd edition
    4/5
    Loud speaker and headphone handbook - John Borwick, 2001
    Book | 3rd edition. e-Book. You may need to log in to access this title

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    TedEH likes this.
  3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Please do!

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I'm in sort of the same boat. I have read a few books, but they never seem to have anything useful in them.

A common problem with audio engineering books is that they become outdated by the time they are on the bookshelves. Blogs and how-to-sites are more up-to-date, but still have information in them which is fundamentally wrong (maybe tips are still good, but the logic behind them is based on false background information).

Some topics are less fluid - acoustics, for example. I have a couple of decent acoustics books, but nothing so great that I'd quickly recommend. One very well-written book that is super-antiquated-yet-still-sometimes-highly-informative is Helmholtz's book On the Sensations of Tone as a Physiological Basis for the Theory of Music.

It is extremely old, and thus ought to be public domain, so I'll post a link here: https://archive.org/details/onsensationsofto00helmrich

If you have time to sift through it, there is a lot of good foundational acoustics in there, and it's essentially the book that got me started toward microtonal tunings (the book was written at a time when instruments were still generally tuned with meantone and well temperament tunings).

5. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Just edited my post :) sorry again for the WOT

TedEH likes this.
  6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

A guy I know on another forum swears by a book he read in school, I believe (in a recording program) called "mixing with your mind." I haven't read it myself, but I'll recommend it because 1) he speaks so strongly about it, and 2) his mixes Ive heard are pretty good.

EDIT - also, I assume you've read the Slipperman thread linked in the sticky up top? Fucking goldmine of info there.

Rizzo likes this.
  7. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

^ Yup, it's by Michael Paul Stavrou, saw it recommended a few times.
    Didn't read it yet personally, it's one of those "psychological approach" books,on the artsy side.

8. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

Mixing with your mind is great, but at the same time, Stavrou can be completely full of shit.

Huber's Modern Recording Techniques is totally a good book to have on hand because of it's wealth of information.

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I hadn't seen that in the stickied thread- but I'm sure I've run into that one before and read most of it.

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

TedEH likes this.
  11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I do really enjoy how much time and effort people put into nailing just the guitar sound - while I normally just throw up a mic or two, spend a couple of minutes moving stuff so that it's 'good enough' and nothing problematic is happening, and then focus on the rest of the song. I think I'm the rare guitarist who doesn't care that much about "the tone" once you get down to recording stuff. :lol:

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I think I've seen this and read it before, but it's been a while, and I probably didn't understand the whole thing at the time.