Attn: Wiring Ninjas - Please lend me your expertise

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by macgarnacle, Feb 12, 2009.

1. macgarnacle

macgarnacle Member

I am currently playing a Schecter Omen Extreme 7 with stock pickups. There is a neck and a bridge bridge pickup with 3 way pickup selector, one volume and one tone knob that has a push/pull coil tap.

I never use my tone knob but love my coil tap and I wondering if it would be possible to take out the tone knob and replace it with a 2 way switch that acts as a coil tap and do away with the tone know altogether.

Has anyone done this before? If so, how would I go about doing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. The Atomic Ass

The Atomic Ass Redefining Sound

Certainly. Remove your tone knob, find an "SPDT" switch that fits your tone knob hole, and simply transfer the wires from the switch on the back of the pot. There should be 3 wires in a row, just keep them in order when moving them over.

3. macgarnacle

macgarnacle Member

That sounds pretty easy. I'm doing some recording this weekend so I won't attempt this until I'm done tracking my guitars. Thanks for the info. :yesway:

4. Rayne Mann

Rayne Mann SS.org Regular

why not just disconnect the tone control and leave the pot in place so you can still switch?

5. macgarnacle

macgarnacle Member

I had thought of that but I like to switch between the coil tap and no tap a fair amount. Often at the same time I am switching pickups and changing channels on my amp. Also the tap switch is very easy to disengage as I only have to push the knob down, pulling up on it is hit or miss sometimes as the know is very smooth. If I have a switch it will make things much easier.