Attack Attack, attacks again...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by leandroab, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBaldIan

BigBaldIan Bald and gribbly.

I gave the video a fair shot and to be honest it was better than the first offering. I think Loomer and The Rev had hit the nail very much on the proverbial head, it's contrived and cliched to the extreme. Shoe-horning in dance beats into a song in that fashion strikes me as clutching at straws. It smacks of desperation and a band frantically trying to think of something, anything to make them stand out from the "scene".

Crometeef likes this.
  2. Loomer

Loomer Comfortably Dumb

And trying exactly that to "Stand Out" is pretty stupid since Enter Shikari did that years (millenia in Scene Time, mind you) ago, and everyone and their dog has been doing it since :lol:

3. NaYoN

NaYoN Heavy Blog Is Heavy

Is the whole mafia shtick a jab at Upon a Burning Body? I remember a while back they dissed Attack Attack, and they always wear "mafia attire" so that's what I thought initially.

I'd like this song if it didn't have the bad "metal" parts in it. Just the opening breakdown, some disco, some dubstep, some breakdown. But the verse and such is just shit.

4. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

Dude. Knock it off! :yesway:.
    That's the same band I bring up when it comes to other bands like Attack, Attack!.

People will start talking about us if we keep doing this :wub:.

5. Loomer

Loomer Comfortably Dumb

I'm using Psychic Mind Control on you Rev.

with mah penis

6. BigBaldIan

On a different note I've watched the Waltari video and yes it has a lot of genres blended together, however I'm trying to put my finger on how and why they work and Attack Attack doesn't. Is it the concept of artistic honesty, that indescribable something that seperates a real band from dare I say it poseurs? Showmanship is all very well and good, but when it becomes a focal point is that necessarily a good thing?

Just thinking out loud.

7. Loomer

Loomer Comfortably Dumb

In the Waltari video, the electronic form an integral part of the song, rather than just additions that are tacked on for shits and giggles. Just something as simple as letting a distorted guitar carry over from a "dance" part to a "metal" part does WONDERS for coherence. Plus, the Waltari song (and video) seems to be intended as a peek into the mind of someone who's gone absolutely off the deep end, while the Attack Attack stuff is a peek into the mind of someone who believes tacking on a dubstep part for no apparent is the way to profit and underage, funny-haircut-and-ear-gauges poontang.

8. BigBaldIan

So we're looking at lots of little things that add up. Lack of cohesive song structure isn't damning in itself, but when combined with synchronised dance moves, strategically placed vocalist ego keg and moody "scene" video, tip the balance.

9. Jan

Jan SS.org Regular

You may have put your finger on what I have been subconciously aware of. :)
    I mean, I don't HATE the ATTACK ATTACK song, I just feel it could be much better. It might be trying to look so tough, "metal" and badass and then switching to a dance part that makes them (at least to some extent) fail as opposed to Waltari... You know, kinda taking themselves too seriously.

10. Loomer

Loomer Comfortably Dumb

Hahaha, Ego Keg! :rofl:

11. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

i hated this band until i saw them live,
    They were actually really really really tight and sounded huge, even though I'm not a fan of most of their music some bits just sounded gargantuan

$0.02

12. NaYoN

NaYoN Heavy Blog Is Heavy

I saw them live and they sucked hardcore... They did all the "scene" moves, the vocals sucked, their playing was awful, and the average age of their fanbase was 12... If you don't count the moms of the kids who accompanied them.
    It was really awful.

13. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

I thought they were really tight when I saw 'em too.

14. BigBaldIan

Another example I feel of someone doing it well:

Starts out almost trancey, then procedes to skullfuck when the other instruments kick in.

15. DANiMALxMD

DANiMALxMD SS.org Regular

new MPE album 2017. I hope these guys put something out soon. This thread is now about MPE.

16. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

I like music I can run in place to.

17. GATA4

GATA4 Banned

I liked the song, especially the chorus. The dude that chimes in during the chorus has an amazing singing voice. I still can't help but feel awkward by the seeming "juxtaposition" of pop (essentially) and metal...it's a bit weird, but the song was good.

18. Axel

Axel SS.org Regular

That rusty can was the only cool thing about the video. Hilarious how he switches up which leg to step on it too.

19. Antimatter

Antimatter SS.org Regular

I thought the opening guitar riff and the one on the verse, they were definitely rockin'
    But then they tacked on that poppy part that was just so out of place it's just wrong. I have the same opinion of these guys that's been talked about a lot here, they're putting things together, which is good, but they're doing it very very badly.

20. Excalibur

Excalibur :O

After you guys kept pointing out the barrel, I had to look at it, it's like those fucking drums from donkey konga haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.