ASIO4ALL and window's audio

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Vinchester, May 29, 2012.

1. Vinchester

Vinchester SS.org Regular

I recently assembled my first recording system; Amp head -> Palmer cab sim -> Alesis iO2 Express (interface)-> Reaper. Everything works fine and I can get the guitar recorded no problem, but I found out that once I plugged them all in, the audio from Winamp or Youtube or Guitar Pro are gone. I made sure to have the latest ASIO driver installed, followed the Alesis' instruction to go to Control Panel -> Sounds -> Recording -> tick off "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device(iO2)" which is supposed to solve the problem, but it didn't! AFAIK this happens because Reaper took control of ASIO which is the sole audio driver running, and other programs can't run audio on it.. probably.

It's not a life threatening issue but it's quite inconvenient! I just want to watch YouTube tutorials or play along to songs outside my DAW once in a while. Some people said that this is ASIO4ALL's limitation, but some seem to be able to fix this :spock: I mean, otherwise the entire world would be using Mac for recording right?

All the while my Mac friend have been giving me that "Why don't you just use Mac and enjoy life?" look. Can someone help me before I have to punch him?

2. Zorkuus

Zorkuus SS.org Regular

You don't need ASIO4ALL with an interface. Recording interfaces have built in ASIO drivers. ASIO4ALL is usually just used as a cheap low latency solution to record from computer line in for those without an interface. Just make sure to install any drivers your interface might have and plug your speakers to it instead of your computer.

3. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

sorry but you probably have to punch your friend :p
    i think this cannot be fixed. i also tried everything i could do with my system but it can´t be helped. when my DAW is running with ASIO nothing else will play sound. things can´t always go so smoothly.
    besides, MAC sux. a bunch of stuff that i need to produce is either not available for it or is way more expensive.

4. Vinchester

Thanks for your reply! Yes my Alesis doesn't require any driver (none supplied). And yes I plug my monitor speakers to my interface! (even I know that haha) I am on my first day of doing this lol. So do I just choose any Windows audio driver in Reaper? WaveOut? WASAPI?

5. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

try googling for some drivers for your interface. if there really aren´t any i think you´d better stick to ASIO4ALL to record.

6. Vinchester

Yeah I tried those default Windows driver out and they're awful.. Either jittery like hell or >100 latency... However I notice that using ASIO4ALL the record volume is very low compared to my drum track or imported MP3, and I seem to push the interface's output level to its limit already :/

7. iohann

iohann Member

That happens to me sometimes. I use ASIO4ALL with an M-Audio USB interface. Right click on the speaker icon on the toolbar, the select "Playback devices". Make sure to disable every device that isn't your interface. Might be different with you equipment/PC setup, but worth a shot.

8. Vinchester

I read the quickstart guide of my Alesis iO2 interface and it seems like it's intended for use with a laptop. No drivers are required but it does recommend ASIO4ALL. No latency, but there's some weird reverb out of nowhere from my monitors. :nuts:

So after a few more hours of trying it out I now have three problems 1.) the recording level is way too low. I don't have this problem when I use my PodX3 2.) Mysterious reverb 3.) Can't play audio from other Windows application.

Maybe the iO2 Express is not an ideal interface for desktop workstation? :scratch: Funny thing is my friend plug the iO2 (http://www.alesis.com/io2?tt=5 older one, not the iO2 Express but nearly identical) into his Macbook and everything works just fine!

I visited Alesis website for some support and found out I can't register because I'm outside of the USA. :spock: Their explanation stopped just short of telling me to sod off :lol: Quite a fine way to manage customer expectation! I might be able to refund this item and get another interface.

Anyway I'd like to hear more from you guys before making decisions; I'm still a total beginner. Thx in advance.

9. Zorkuus

Zorkuus SS.org Regular

You choose ASIO. It should be available when your interface is connected via usb.

As for the issue of other programs not having sound when ASIO is selected at the DAW: you will also have to select your recording interface as your default audio playback device from the sound options of Windows (or whatever you use), otherwise these other programs will try to playback audio from your computers soundcard and obviously that isn't goi9ng to work when your speakers are connected to the interface ;)

Vinchester likes this.
  10. Vinchester

Thanks man, but by now I have already done everything you said. With such a simple interface and lack of tweaking options, I'm confident that I config everything properly and did all that I could.

A couple more hours of reading brought me to the conclusion that this particular model doesn't work well with Win7 x64 because it doesn't have native driver for it, and ASIO4ALL as you said is not a prime choice. There are lots of other people having problems i.e. Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Alesis IO2 Express 24-Bit USB Recording Interface while Mac users got away with it just fine. I think I'll try to refund it.