As a returning guitar player should I make my second guitar a 7-string or a FR equipped axe?

H3R3T1K

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My genres are Death/Black/Thrash/Crust/Sludge/Doom. Just learning and studying songs for now. First guitar I got was a Solar non-baritone 6 string with fixed bridge. I figured it would make a good "first" guitar after coming back to guitar after years of bass duty. I play through my PC only for now so can use pitch shift. That brings me to the question. I order to be most flexible would you prioritise a 7-string or Floyd Rose 6-string? My skill level is beginner to intermediate. I'm not scared of a FR really but don't love the hassle. I'm just not sure I can get by without one on one of my guitars.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Why not find a Floyd rose 7 string? Half this forum literally cry themselves to sleep when things aren't equipped with Floyd 7's so they have to be pretty decent :lol:

Budda beat me

Edit: yes please buy the xiphos, such a sick guitar.

Last edited:

H3R3T1K

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Why not find a Floyd rose 7 string? Half this forum literally cry themselves to sleep when things aren't equipped with Floyd 7's so they have to be pretty decent :lol:

Budda beat me

Edit: yes please buy the xiphos, such a sick guitar.
It's meant to be. I was looking hard at the Dimarzio Activator for the bridge position of the Solar. And the Xyphos comes with them.

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's meant to be. I was looking hard at the Dimarzio Activator for the bridge position of the Solar. And the Xyphos comes with them.
I bought an XPT700 years ago and instantly fell in love with the 6-string D Activators. In recent years, I've installed them in some of my RGs.

Another option you may like to consider is a 7-string RG. "Get a used Prestige" is the SS.org motto for a reason ;)