Article on the PRS SE line and it's move to Indonesia

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jul 8, 2019.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

https://www.musicradar.com/news/the...6mt0plqElaf0KBCeqdBB5czql1VpDvGlUvW97Fe4qN2MQ

TL;DR: They own their own facility at Cor-Tek that builds nothing but PRS SEs. The move was because of WMI getting too crowded with other brands. Some guitars will still be made in Korea in the meantime, but it looks like a lot of the newer models have already switched to Indo, like Paul's Guitar.

Also, this little tease:

2. gunch

gunch chungus

No matter how good SEs are and will get you're still a dingledorf in the eyes of people that have Cores if you try to schmooze with them

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

I actually ran into a dude that thinks that, to this day, it was a mistake for PRS to release the SE line. :lol:

USMarine75, XPT707FX and MerlinTKD like this.
  4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Only if those people were already assholes :lol:

USMarine75, XPT707FX, AdenM and 3 others like this.
  5. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

People who shit on lower-end PRS are the same people that would shit on a high-quality Epiphone, just because it's not a Gibson.

6. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Interested in how this will play out. Korean SE's are easily some of the best guitars out there for the money. We all know some of the bumps Ibanez has had with some of the Indo QC (and still have depending on who you talk to) so it will be an interesting case study between the two.

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  7. HeHasTheJazzHands

The SE Standard line has been Indo made from the start. And there's some former-Korean SE's being made in Indo now. I'm curious if anyone here's given them a shot.

8. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

I have been blessed to own some high end guitars, but my $500 Indo Iron Label is every bit as good as the $2k prestiges I own.
    If PRS re-releases an indo torero with fixed bridge, I would be all in.

9. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

I persoally dont see how anyone could shit on any guitar. Just play and let play

10. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

It’s incredibly easy to shit on guitars.

I’ve fixed up a couple of Indonesian se for some friends. They are decent guitars. Enough differences so no one is going to mistake it for a core. But good solid guitars.

11. ChugThisBoy

ChugThisBoy SS.org Regular

I owned Holcomb SE sig and it was fantastic. The only thing you should change after getting the axe is the nut. Everything besides that - pure joy.

JD27 and High Plains Drifter like this.
  12. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

My only complaint with the SE line is the lack of locking tuners. I've been lucky with the nut on my SvN, it's given me no issues so far.

I hope the day that I can afford a Core is roughly the same day they produce a Core 7 string.

13. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Some guy on another forum decided to school me on PRS guitars...

"Don't want to offend, but I gotta ask...
    PRS or Paul Reed Smith?
    One is not like the other in anything but shape and form."

To which I replied:

"No difference. Paul Reed Smith is the owner of PRS guitars."

To which he replied:

"Yes, but one is made in Korea and one is made in a shop, here, by a guitar maker.
    The difference is at least $2000. If yours didn't cost $2K+, it's a PRS. I'm not bashin' PRS; I shoulda bought one instead of what I ended up with but, when I put a used Paul Reed Smith in my hand (way out of my budget), I found out the PRS was a licensed knock-off or whatever. Still a very good guitar as I'm sure Mr. Smith ensures it is so."

To which I replied:

"As someone who's been playing for over 30 years I've never subscribed to the notion that a Core model is necessary for anyone besides an aficionado or a professional that makes a living from performing. Even then... a $5k instrument isn't necessary in the least jmo.

Add to that the QC of any company is what's paramount and at least in my experience, the PRS SE line sets their standards quite high. Doesn't matter if the product is being made in Japan, USA, or Korea/ Indonesia ( where the majority of production guitars are made). For me it's all about tone, comfort, play-ability, and affordability... not about wood libraries or Paul's signature.

Oh... and somebody better call Paul and tell him to get his name off of this MIK knock-off lol..."

[​IMG]

I didn't hear back from him after that.

MAJ Meadows SF, fps, setsuna7 and 2 others like this.
  14. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Yeah, but for every one of those dickwads there are a couple of guys who lucked out with one "amazing" SE and can't help but go on about how stupid folks are for "wasting money" on an "overpriced" Core. :lol:

15. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Man there will always be someone trying to justify an expensive purchase. It’s 50/50 whether the type of person who would shit on a PRS SE for being “fake” is

1) Even an actual guitar nerd at all whose owned 20+ instruments (like many of us money wasters lol) and at least thinks they can explain why they bought it.

2) Just another old dude who bought like ONE $5k PRS/Gibson, and needs everyone to know it.

Does anyone actually need to explain what they spend their own money on? No not at all. But people who shit on other’s things are usually not fun to be around imo.

So it works out as a great people-filter.

technomancer likes this.
  16. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

It's just like when all the 'budget' ranges moved from Japan to Korea. I've got a few Indonesian made instruments- Faith Neptune and two Sire Marcus Miller basses. They're all fantastic. With Paul Reed Smith's attention to quality, I've got no worries about this move at all.

I'd love a Core one day- just like I'd love a Les Paul (especially now Gibson seem to be aiming in the right direction with the range again- recent errors I'm giving them as a learning experience!!). But my SE is bloody wonderful and will keep me happy for some time yet.

MAJ Meadows SF and fps like this.
  17. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Initially IN instruments were awful, especially the Ibanez range, bad frets, sloppy paint jobs, etc.

Now the quality has improved but I still feel somewhat cheated paying upwards of $500 on IN guitar. The Korean SEs were indeed great and their move will definitely make me rethink if I want to own anything from that range.

18. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

A friend of mine bought an Indonesian Custom SE earlier this year. Initially I was a little blindsided because he'd been asking me advice on which to get, and I told him to go for a Custom SE over a Standard SE specifically because QC on Korean guitars is, as a general rule, a bit better than Indonesian guitars. It arrives and, lo and behold, it is itself Indonesian. Took me a while to figure out what was going on, that PRS had left WMI in the dust switched everything over to Cor-Tek, apparently over recent QC issues with WMI. So much for my general rule. :lol:

It's a fine guitar though, perfectly up to snuff with my Korean Custom 24 SE 7.

19. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

This is the only reason I'm not concerned at all.
    Paul knows the reputation his brand carries is his most valuable asset. He wouldn't be ok with jeopardizing that to save on production costs, I'm pretty sure of it. So while I still don't trust the Indonesian Ibanez lines, I'm confident that the QC on the SEs are going to be held to the same standard they were in Korea and thus not too concerned.

MAJ Meadows SF, thedonal and MetalHex like this.
  20. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    Dude what a total knob! That's hilarious. The "licensed knock-off" and "I'm sure Mr. Smith ensures it is so" have got to be in the 2019 top 10 "douche-bag of the year" comment awards. I'll bet he cringes whenever someone uses "PRS PS" to shorthand "Private Stock". Like I do on eBay and Reverb searches.

After watching makers start out with WMI and get a consistent line going anyone can tell they are busy as hell. Probably a very sound move by PRS, and I'm sure "Mr. Smith ensures it is so". I have never picked up a bad SE, and still will pick up the Holcomb SE 7 whenever it comes out. They're good enough that I've held back on paying too much for the Core Holcombs floating around (and addressed in another thread). I wouldn't expect the brand to allow a popular line to take a dive through a factory change. Obviously this has been game planned for a while and proper COA selected to go with.