Aristides Owners. Was It Worth It?

Flappydoodle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Totally worth it.

I only own one - 060R with Fishmans

It’s a super nice guitar to play. Fretwork is the best of any of my guitars (Caparison, ESP included). The resonant and loud acoustic sound makes it really satisfying to play.

Tuning stability is good but it’s not totally immune to weather. In the transition from winter to summer, I pick it up one day and the strings are basically lying on the fretboard. But a quick truss adjustment and it’s fine. It’s more stable than my Gibson guitars or single piece maple neck guitars, but I’d say no better than a good 5 piece with reinforcement.

I definitely plan to own more in the future.

landmvrks

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bumping this, I'd love to know from owners how their finishes hold up? I don't want to spend $4000 on a guitar that gets shiny. Would love to hear from owners of the raw and satin versions about that.

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bumping this, I'd love to know from owners how their finishes hold up? I don't want to spend $4000 on a guitar that gets shiny. Would love to hear from owners of the raw and satin versions about that.

I've only had my 080SR for 4-5 months now but it's pretty durable, it feels very solid if that helps out at all. I'm oddly not as worried about it as I'd expect to be for an instrument that I dropped a bunch of cash on

landmvrks

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've only had my 080SR for 4-5 months now but it's pretty durable, it feels very solid if that helps out at all. I'm oddly not as worried about it as I'd expect to be for an instrument that I dropped a bunch of cash on
I'm not really worried about dents, scratches, etc. Mine sits on a stand and then in my lap, that's about it. But I'm really curious how their satin and raw finishes hold up with regards to shininess where your hand sits/plays a lot. Any thoughts on this?

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not really worried about dents, scratches, etc. Mine sits on a stand and then in my lap, that's about it. But I'm really curious how their satin and raw finishes hold up with regards to shininess where your hand sits/plays a lot. Any thoughts on this?

That was definitely factored into my post although I'm not sure if it's been long enough to really tell yet. I've been playing it just as frequently as my other guitars and I have wear spots develop a bit differently in each, nothing really yet in the body at least where my hand or fingers rub against it and I'm actually still curious to see how the richlite fretboard ages. Thing literally just wipes clean with warm water when it starts looking gross

xzyryabx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can't comment on aristides, but I've never seen a satin finish not get shiny spots eventually where the most contact happens....just part of the package I guess

landmvrks

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That was definitely factored into my post although I'm not sure if it's been long enough to really tell yet. I've been playing it just as frequently as my other guitars and I have wear spots develop a bit differently in each, nothing really yet in the body at least where my hand or fingers rub against it and I'm actually still curious to see how the richlite fretboard ages. Thing literally just wipes clean with warm water when it starts looking gross
Thanks for sharing, appreciate it. Yeah I'm not sure if 4-5 months is long enough to get a real idea of whether the raw or satin materials wear, maybe someone else can chime in with their experiences around that.

landmvrks

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can't comment on aristides, but I've never seen a satin finish not get shiny spots eventually where the most contact happens....just part of the package I guess
Definitely understand this, but Aristides obviously have different materials, and the raw finish is a whole different animal. I'm kind of expecting the raw ones would be far less likely to show shininess.

darkinners

my fingers are lame
Reaction score
Definitely understand this, but Aristides obviously have different materials, and the raw finish is a whole different animal. I'm kind of expecting the raw ones would be far less likely to show shininess.

Even it's made of brushed/stain steel, it will eventually be buffed shiny if you played it enough.
I have 4 Aristides but only one is Raw series and it's pretty new (3 months old) so I have no experience how long does it take for me to buff its gloss on my pinky rest area but I am pretty sure it will happen just matter of time.

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

had my 060r for just over a year now. it's been one of my main go-tos until very recently so was played just about every day for about a year. there's literally zero shininess or any other visual wear and tear on it.

the finish on it is not exactly what I would call a 'satin finish' per se. it's not glossy so it's "satin" from that perspective but it has more of an industrial construction feel to it like if you take a cinder block and smooth it out.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
If you care enough to not shine up a satin/raw finish then wipe your guitar down to remove any excess skin oils you leave behind. It gets shiny due to build up and when your hand motions over the same spot you're just wiping oils into the finish.

All guitars with this finish type will shine with use, if you don't want it to either.
- Spec it with a gloss finish
- Adjust your technique so your hand isn't resting on the guitar's body
- Do some basic maintenance and wipe your excess oil off of the guitar body.

landmvrks

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you care enough to not shine up a satin/raw finish then wipe your guitar down to remove any excess skin oils you leave behind. It gets shiny due to build up and when your hand motions over the same spot you're just wiping oils into the finish.

All guitars with this finish type will shine with use, if you don't want it to either.
- Spec it with a gloss finish
- Adjust your technique so your hand isn't resting on the guitar's body
- Do some basic maintenance and wipe your excess oil off of the guitar body.

So wiping the guitar off after every use will prevent this entirely, or just delay it? What would you use to do this?

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
So wiping the guitar off after every use will prevent this entirely, or just delay it? What would you use to do this?

Just wiping any satin finish down delays it massively, I honestly don't care enough to do this all the time but if I were to do it. I would have a clean rag, and a microfiber cloth at all times, then dilute dawn dish soap in water heavily.

Wipe the spots where your hands made contact with the rag after dipping it in your diluted dawn soap solution and wringing it out. Then take your microfiber cloth and dry off the spot, soap binds to oils and removes them.

If you don't want to do this, just wiping your contact points with a microfiber will remove a majority of leftover oils. I've done the diluted dish soap solution on my satin guitars, and even my frequently used keyboards.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Just wiping any satin finish down delays it massively, I honestly don't care enough to do this all the time but if I were to do it. I would have a clean rag, and a microfiber cloth at all times, then dilute dawn dish soap in water heavily.

Wipe the spots where your hands made contact with the rag after dipping it in your diluted dawn soap solution and wringing it out. Then take your microfiber cloth and dry off the spot, soap binds to oils and removes them.

If you don't want to do this, just wiping your contact points with a microfiber will remove a majority of leftover oils. I've done the diluted dish soap solution on my satin guitars, and even my frequently used keyboards.

- Although you've had success with Dawn soap for I would strongly advise for anyone to do a small spot check before using it. Since Dawn has surficates it can be bad news for some stuff.
- I prefer just warm water and a microfiber on most stuff, but I keep reading on Google to use only a dry cloth on matte finishes or WD40? Wtf! WD40 on a guitar finish? No thanks. Even if it works it'd smell like WD40 (an aquired taste)
- If you're really concerned about it then use a wax that's also safe for matte finishes. This will ensure the finish isn't even touched.
- I'd just take care of it the best you can and accept that eventually it could start to shine.

landmvrks

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah I'm definitely going with a gloss front for my new Mayones, if I'm dropping $4500 I really don't want that guitar to shine up. Still considering going with a raw Aristides, the $3000 price tag is a bit easier to swallow if it shines up after a couple years. Appreciate all the info guys.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I went with gloss tops on my upcoming mayo as well, I prefer having the low maintenance of a monthly polish on all my guitars rather than constant wiping down to maintain a satin finish.

And that's a fair point Spheres, I haven't noticed any negative points since I chose to heavily dilute it and after wringing you're using at most a lightly damp rag with your mixture. A microfiber is definitely enough to keep up with daily playing and delay the effects, but yeah any care is going to keep your guitar looking swell. Dings/scratches/damage will come though, just don't get too hung up on it, it's inevitable.

kingpinMS3

dumb, but harmless
Reaction score
I've bought(and sold) an 060R. it was a great guitar. they're worth every penny. Traveled halfway around the world in tune.

the only reason i sold it was for financial reasons.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’m considering an 060. If I get it setup for drop C, then sometimes want to switch to Drop D and sometimes to drop B, is there any reason to expect it to hold its setup/action better than a “normal” guitar?