Aristides Guitars

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by jco5055, Jun 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

I definitely echo this a 100%! I've analyzed over 200 businesses in depth and seen thousands. I know quality engineer work takes a lot of patience and time, and things that would seem "easy" from the outside looking in, are often horrendously difficult.

But on the same note, many of such engineer-driven businesses would greatly benefit of implementation of LEAN principles and accelerated ways of trying out prototypes. They could hire new people. They could even outsource mechanical innovation & R&D... or much better yet, hire new businesspeople to 100% take care of the business side, while the original engineers could focus 100% on R&D! Nothing is more wasteful than having a stellar inventor stop inventing, and do business chores and trying to grow their revenue, when they'd rather be just doing the R&D work.

There are a thousand different ways to look at making operations more efficient, which is often missed by engineers. I know this will surely turn into a debate of businessmen vs. engineers, but I will resolve the debate immediately by stating that both are right, and both have a handicap of understanding each other. The truth is not binary, and we're both right.

JimF and Jonathan20022 like this.
  2. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Fair enough, my point was more that we just don't have the insight into Evertune to make a fair call on what they could be doing better if anything.

:cheers:

JimF and Velokki like this.
  3. Unimperfect

Unimperfect SS.org Regular

Does anybody know if the trem on the headless model is a floating style bridge or if it locks in to place once flat? I'd be interested in the trem model, but I like the flexibility of a non-trem guitar for alternate/dropped tuning changes.

Thanks!

4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Sh
    should be floating.

5. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

Looks pretty floaty to me, nowhere for a locking mechanism on the pivot points.

6. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

unless they have some super weird spring/claw setup, it should be trivial to install a tremol-no if you want to lock down the bridge. Of course, we won't know until we see them in the wild.

7. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Just curious. Can Aristides put Khaler trems on them?

8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I’ll just say that if a business outsourced R&D, they better be magnificent at sales.

9. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Sorry for the thread de-rail, but...I see people asking all the time about various trems, if there's a "lock" to fix the trem. Besides a few Kahlers, are there many trem systems that actually have that ability, or is it just mostly people *thinking* it's more common than it is because of the terms often associated with trems: "locking" or "double locking"?

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I think he's asking if the trem is full floating or dive only/"decked" to the top of the guitar.

That said there are/have been trems with built-in ability to be locked in place other than Kahlers, off the top of my head I can think of the Ibanez SynchroniZR, certain Steinberger Trans Trem variants, and the CSL Sophia.

As others mentioned, there is also the question of compatibility with an array of after market trem stopping devices.

Mathemagician likes this.
  11. brandonwall

brandonwall SS.org Regular

Just chiming in to say I'm not ignoring the trem questions, but I've asked our engineer to compile all of the nitty-gritty details about the new bridge so I can share it here. I haven't used the new trem yet, so I don't have any experience or super detailed knowledge about it. I'll post that info here as soon as I have it!

binz, Flappydoodle and Crundles like this.
  12. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    I'm seldom following this thread, what new bridge is this? are there any pics?

13. sym30l1c

sym30l1c SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zhysick, Flappydoodle and odibrom like this.
  14. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    @sym30l1c thank you very much for updating my memory. That's an awesome guitar right there...

sym30l1c likes this.
  15. TheUnvanquished

TheUnvanquished SS.org Regular

Not to derail all the discussion of the new headless models, but I have a quick question of any of you all that have experience with the straight fretted (27" scale) 080 model. I own an Aristides 060sr and am sold on the brand/products. Great stuff. Anyway, I'm thinking about getting my first 8 string and am considering the 080. I want to tune the guitar to drop E. Is the 27" scale enough? I don't really want to go for a 080s unless it is absolutely necessary, for several reasons. For one, I'm trying to keep cost down. Speaking of that this guitar will probably be a raw. Yeah so does that scale length cut it for the drop E tuning? I plan on using d'addario 10 thru 74 gauge strings. Thanks.

16. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I hava an 080r and I think 27" is plenty for drop E, I typically string mine with anywhere from a 74 to an 80 on the low string. 74 is on the light end, a lot of guys here will swear that it's too loose but it works fine for me. I used to have an 080s but didn't find that the extra half inch made a noticeable difference.

17. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

In my opinion no, but it comes down to personal taste.
    For low E I personally would get an Ibanez M80M.

18. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

I'd wait for the Evertune option and get that. You'd be able to use a 74 for E and it wouldn't bend out of tune if you pick harder

19. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Definitely avoid the 10-74 sets for a start - they accentuate the loose bottom significantly even in standard - let alone drop. It would feel kind of like using 10.5-39 gauge strings on a standard tuned 6 - to give you an idea of tension.

I do think 27" is long enough to make a 74 gauge string sound tonally *ok* in terms of brightness. Whether it's tight enough is a question only you can answer - I wouldn't take it below F# personally. An Evertune will help with the pitch drift of course but not the loose noise or feel.

If you do use a 74 the best thing you can do in my opinion is pair it with a set of 8.5-38s and a 50 B string or similar to at least give the guitar a uniform very light feel all across - rather than the tight trebles insanely tight middles and very loose bottom of a 10-74 set. Those sets are straight nonsense - hard avoid.

Brands 9-80 sets are a much better stock balance and would do ok for E - but again if doing drop E you're better off buying a single 80 and pairing it with a 54 B and a 9-42 set.

Whilst it's not for me I'd be lying to say 27" can't do drop E ok - but I'd definitely go for the 80 personally and be aware it will sound a bit dark.

JimF, Zhysick, Flappydoodle and 2 others like this.
  20. TheUnvanquished

TheUnvanquished SS.org Regular

Maybe I will save my money for the fanned fret version. Damn. I didn't really want to cough up the extra dough if I didn't have to. Also, as I do have experience with fanned fret guitars, I find the right hand muting can be kind of cumbersome with a slanted bridge.