Aristides Guitars

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by jco5055, Jun 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. brandonwall

brandonwall SS.org Regular

That's a good question and dives somewhat into the realm of talking about politics, religion, and tonewood. ;)

Dineley, A-Branger and Hollowway like this.
  2. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

Its just like setting up any other guitar. You could run higher string tension and adjust the truss rod to add a bit more stability.

c7spheres likes this.
  3. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I'd be very surprised if there were any quantifiable differences. Same materials, same construction, the point where the neck joins the body is pretty much the same (ie, not a crazy Abasi style singlecut). I'm not a scientist* but it seems like any noticeable differences would more likely be due to slight differences in individual pickups (if handwound).

*but I do draw robot asses for a living

4. brandonwall

brandonwall SS.org Regular

My personal beliefs (read: not necessarily those of the company) are more in that realm. Hands (and what is or isn't in or on them), pickups, and signal chain are the biggest influencers of tone, in my opinion.

Solodini and c7spheres like this.
  5. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Viewing it as anything other than a mostly aesthetic difference is giving it too much thought IMO, If we're going with overall body size/mass/density. The general silhouette of a tele and strat aren't THAT far off in the first place. Fattening the lower horn a bit, and bending the upper horn inwards probably makes it so the overall surface area of both guitars is within a small range of each other.

[​IMG]

Basically your T/0 probably won't sound too off if you just make it an HH Hardtail companion to an 060 :lol:

brandonwall likes this.
  6. axxessdenied

It'll be interesting. I think there will be more tonal difference than people expect. The Aristides platform seems to respond quite a bit tonally to changes in specs. Even things like gloss vs satin seems to have an overall impact on the instruments. I've had the metallic finishes on 3 different aristides models now and when you play one of those finishes for a while and swap to a painted one you really notice the differences. They aren't huge but big enough to impact and influence you as a player.

Jonathan20022 likes this.
  7. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Well finish thickness is one of the oldest tone ghost stories with the guys chasing vintage 50s/60s sounds. Whether an LP has a nitro or poly finish is a huge deal (in terms of consumer base and to people who care about these things, no comment on validity here). So I would not be surprised at all if there was some noticeable difference between raw and (primer + basecoat + poly clearcoat).

I would be pretty surprised if there was an appreciable difference between the T/0 and 060, but I was just curious what the shop guys thought since they're hands on with them all day. If anything, I don't think it's really within the Aristides construction method to tailor that to a more authentic "tele" sound. But figured it's easier to ask than assume.

Vyn and axxessdenied like this.
  8. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I find there’s a consistent “Aristides” tone you can hear even with different players. Like the way JPs have a common sound regardless of wood and pickup specs.

9. axxessdenied

I had an 060 with SSS with a special wiring mod that added a Push/Pull to swap the middle position to the two outer coils instead essentially making it a "tele". It'll be interesting how the Tele's compare tonally :D

10. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I don't buy the vintage finish thing because it's impossible to have anything resembling reproducible comparisons with old-ass guitars that had big differences from instrument to instrument to begin with. Modern "vintage nitro" isn't even close to the formulations they used back then either so :lol: at the blues lawyers buying $12000 les pauls "for the tone."

That being said, I could definitely see some people hearing a difference between a raw and fully-finished Aristides. That's a fair amount of different coats of stuff on the guitar, in theory it could affect the way it resonates. Personally I didn't notice any difference in resonance between the 080r I have and the 080s I used to have, but I had a sample size of 2 guitars and they had different pickups in them anyway.

Velokki likes this.
  11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

tone finish!

Velokki likes this.
  13. axxessdenied

No two pieces of wood are going to be the same so quantifying the tonal impacts a finish isn't that easy on a traditional build. The construction on an aristides is a lot more controlled and consistent so things like different pickup configs, raw vs gloss vs satin vs metallic finishes and bridge options are going to be the biggest way the end user can influence the sound. You can hear there is a difference when you play them unplugged side by side.

14. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

Can confirm. Every single one of these sounded noticeably different. Though each had it's own unique pickups, I did a multitude of tests between my 080S (when I still had it) and a friends where the only difference was gloss vs satin finish and there was a very noticeable difference in brightness.

[​IMG]

15. axxessdenied

Yeah, the difference between those two 080S acoustically was crazy.

16. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Man I love the green 070. It's exactly what I was thinking about ordering. With the floyd too!. How you like tht one? That's a gloss right?