Aristides Guitars

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh man, this is getting infuriating. So now FedEx is telling this:

"Shipment requires importer’s registration/identification number for clearance. (Examples include EIN, SSN, VAT, GST, RFC, etc.)"

But I already emailed the filled out form 5106 as instructed by Aristides on June 28th. And Aristides also did it on their end too, so they had TWO emails giving them the information they needed. And when I called them a moment ago, they told me they don't have my information in their system (in this case, my SSN), and I need to email it to them AGAIN. WTF?

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
^That sucks man. I really hope FedEx can pull their head out of their ass and get you your guitar as soon as possible.

My whole experience was smooth, but situations like yours really make me think of going through Chondro when I order my next one.

FromTheMausoleum

That one guy
Reaction score

"Shipment requires importer’s registration/identification number for clearance. (Examples include EIN, SSN, VAT, GST, RFC, etc.)"

But I already emailed the filled out form 5106 as instructed by Aristides on June 28th. And Aristides also did it on their end too, so they had TWO emails giving them the information they needed. And when I called them a moment ago, they told me they don't have my information in their system (in this case, my SSN), and I need to email it to them AGAIN. WTF?
This happened to me with my 070R, basically, FedEx refuses to use their own systems that they have in place, and would rather have you enter your info in a Google doc. If you call them and get with an agent and be very clear with the email that it needs to be sent to you can politely ask that they watch for your filled out DocuSign or whatever they use. My month long shipping wait resolved in a day after that phone call and email.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I’ve had all of these same problems with FedEx. Drivers lying about me not being home, claiming the roads around my house are shut down for a holiday, etc. I had one agent tell me they lost the package because the website kept saying it was delayed. Literally while I was on the phone with them opening a lost package claim, the driver brought the guitar to me, lol. And I had the customs issues, too. Long story short, I love that CAT idea, but otherwise it’s just an exercise in frustration. They’re the worst shipping company out there currently.

AltecGreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Don't panic or blame FedEx. Most carriers will ask for this the first time you import a guitar.

If you already have filled out, just send it to FedEx. The form 5106 has to be registered in the Homeland Security Department's ACE system. FedEx as the broker will help you fill out the form. This should be needed once. I filled mine out when shipping with DHL the first time. Once I was in the system, it was good for other carriers like FedEx.
The irony is that you can avoid most of this if the guitar is shipped via the various national postal systems. I don't think I have ever heard of USPS asking for this information.

Don't be annoyed if FedEx later come back with you needing to fill out more forms. If you have to fill them out, it is because customs asks for them. There is a possibility you will need to fill out the TSCA form or Lacey Act form. The Lacey Act form is unlikely since the guitar should contain no wood. The reason you have to do this is when the goods exceed a certain value, there is greater scrutiny. When I ship cheaper guitars (say under $1K), it flies through customs.

EDIT: Just one more note. FedEx will deliver the guitar without asking for duty payment even if it is due. The duty rate is 8.75% unless the guitar was originally made in the US. This is a good or bad thing depending on your persepective or relative hate for FedEx. FedEx will send you an invoice later for the duty if it is owed. Other carriers like UPS or DHL will ask you to pay the duty before they will deliver. Also, if the shipment exceeds $5K USD, do not be surprised if FedEx sends a note to your state. In that case, the state will see if you paid sales tax on the guitar. If not, your state has the option of sending you a bill for the sales tax plus interest and penalty.

Last edited:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Don't panic or blame FedEx. Most carriers will ask for this the first time you import a guitar.

If you already have filled out, just send it to FedEx. The form 5106 has to be registered in the Homeland Security Department's ACE system. FedEx as the broker will help you fill out the form. This should be needed once. I filled mine out when shipping with DHL the first time. Once I was in the system, it was good for other carriers like FedEx.
The irony is that you can avoid most of this if the guitar is shipped via the various national postal systems. I don't think I have ever heard of USPS asking for this information.

Don't be annoyed if FedEx later come back with you needing to fill out more forms. If you have to fill them out, it is because customs asks for them. There is a possibility you will need to fill out the TSCA form or Lacey Act form. The Lacey Act form is unlikely since the guitar should contain no wood. The reason you have to do this is when the goods exceed a certain value, there is greater scrutiny. When I ship cheaper guitars (say under $1K), it flies through customs.

EDIT: Just one more note. FedEx will deliver the guitar without asking for duty payment even if it is due. The duty rate is 8.75% unless the guitar was originally made in the US. This is a good or bad thing depending on your persepective or relative hate for FedEx. FedEx will send you an invoice later for the duty if it is owed. Other carriers like UPS or DHL will ask you to pay the duty before they will deliver. Also, if the shipment exceeds $5K USD, do not be surprised if FedEx sends a note to your state. In that case, the state will see if you paid sales tax on the guitar. If not, your state has the option of sending you a bill for the sales tax plus interest and penalty.

Pro advice

CW7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

So . On my last Aristides , I had this and it was BAD. Filled out forms twice, and FedEx still sat on my h/06 for OVER a MONTH. Yup- 5 weeks sitting in the hub “pending”. Aristides was in constant communication with them so I know it wasn’t due to lack of proper paperwork (this was by far my first custom, so I’m very familiar with how to fill that stuff out in its entirety). Made for an agonizing wait knowing my new tiddy was in town but not moving for over a month. Hope yours is sorted soon.

jyym

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
On some level, I feel like this is a problem with the individual customs brokers/agents you get. Luck of the draw I guess.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
psa: there are a ton of cool Aristides for sale at a music go round in Aurora CO.
Wow, someone liquidated a high end collection. There are a few Viks and Barlows in there, too. I feel bad for whoever had to do it, though, because I’m sure they didn’t get much. That said, MGR has them priced close to new, so I’m not sure how fast they’ll fly out of there.

(Actually, is MGR a consignment shop? I’m assuming that they just buy them, and then resell them like GC.)

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
Wow, someone liquidated a high end collection. There are a few Viks and Barlows in there, too. I feel bad for whoever had to do it, though, because I’m sure they didn’t get much. That said, MGR has them priced close to new, so I’m not sure how fast they’ll fly out of there.

(Actually, is MGR a consignment shop? I’m assuming that they just buy them, and then resell them like GC.)
They buy and sell. Dude probably got maybe 50% of what they're worth (based off my experience selling shit to mgr). That particular CO mgr always has tons of high end modern brands coming through it.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
They buy and sell. Dude probably got maybe 50% of what they're worth (based off my experience selling shit to mgr). That particular CO mgr always has tons of high end modern brands coming through it.
I kind of want to figure out who is bringing in all this high end gear, and just get to them myself. Those are nice axes!

getowned7474

Neck_Pro
Reaction score
Pascal sent me a progress update this morning. Too excited not to share.
12th fret inlay was just glued in.

View attachment 110204
Looks so sick! Super cool to see since your specs are so similar to mine!

On a side note I just bought my first (second since I have one on order lol?) Aristides! A guy local to me was selling an awesome seafoam green 060 and I had to get it. I'm really liking it a lot so I think I might be moving on with my JP15 since they fill a similar niche.

I'm not loving the fishman fluence classics in there tbh so I'll probably be trying to find some second hand BKP or something, not sure what yet.

full

full

Flynn Edwards

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not loving the fishman fluence classics in there tbh so I'll probably be trying to find some second hand BKP or something, not sure what yet.
Lovely guitar, man! I'm in awe of that colour. If I ever get a H/06, I'd either want it in Seafoam or shell pink.

I've noticed that the light Richlite boards look a bit different on camera than Maple fretboards. Is it noticeable in person?

Just a follow-up to your statement about the Fishmans, does anyone have any experience with the Fishman Abasis compared to passive pickups. I watched the demo by Tosin, and they sound good to me, but I want to absolutely confirm that there's nothing better out there before I put my order down.
I was looking at the BKP juggernauts at one point and Jay suggested the Black Heaven M7 combo, any opinions?

robotwithhumanhair22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looks so sick! Super cool to see since your specs are so similar to mine!

On a side note I just bought my first (second since I have one on order lol?) Aristides! A guy local to me was selling an awesome seafoam green 060 and I had to get it. I'm really liking it a lot so I think I might be moving on with my JP15 since they fill a similar niche.

Dude I'm not even kidding when I say I specced out an H/08R to save up for next was literally the same aesthetic specs as your Tiddie (seafoam w/ lite richlite).

Latest posts