Are you guys legacy builders or quiet toilers?

frogman81

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Trying to keep this question short... What is everyone after in life? Are you just trying to get some comfort and security for you and maybe your family, or are you trying to leave a legacy somehow - maybe through music, financial gain, or your community?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
What about neither? I have no dependents, nor do I care about being famous. There are more options that than. The goal can just as easily be to have maximized your overall well-being or happiness or what have you.

frogman81

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What about neither? I have no dependents, nor do I care about being famous. There are more options that than. The goal can just as easily be to have maximized your overall well-being or happiness or what have you.

Fair enough, I would suggest that you are a “quiet toiler” if you are just trying to work on your own personal well-being and happiness, but maybe you see it differently? I meant to present the family aspect as optional.

Lemonbaby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I stopped having a “career plan“ or trying to save the world after my son was born. Your friends and family are still there when you find out that you're just a number to literally every company you could ever work for. Same goes for fame and rockstardom - what's the use in the end? Touring the world, getting drunk backstage with complete strangers? I see how people get addicted to it, but I'm probably too much of a rational guy to mistake “friends“ with friends. Leaving a legacy also isn't a big goal. I do help people whenever I can, help out my son's kindergarten w/ work that needs to be done and donate money every year. Quite honestly I don't even want others to know about these things, it's meant to help others and not for showing off...

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
“quiet toiler” if you are just trying to work on your own personal well-being and happiness, but maybe you see it differently?
I guess? I suppose my point is just that it's not just one thing or the other. I don't expect I'll leave much of a legacy, but that doesn't mean I don't have "big plans" or goals. I don't expect I'll ever marry or have kids or anything, so that's not a thing. I'll probably never be famous. There are certainly things I'd like to accomplish, and that I hope would be received well by others, and if I do succeed, maybe it'll leave somewhat of a legacy behind me - but what would I care about that, since I'll be gone anyway? Call me selfish, but I don't care much about a legacy since I won't be around to see it. I'd like to be respected while alive, but otherwise, whatever. And at the same time I think it's equally important for me to soak up experiences. And self-improvement is important. Why are they important? Who knows. I just know that the really vague goal of "I'd like to be happy more often than not" drives most of what I do.

On some level I try not to think about it too often/deeply, cause realistically I don't see life as having a purpose. Sometimes the question of "what are you after in life" is "right now... nothing", at which point I have to invent goals for myself lest I become depressed for no reason. <- Is that a pun?

Demiurge

Intrepid Jackass
Reaction score
Legacy is such a weird thought to me- it's hard to think about being prominent to those who come after you when it's hard to maintain a small amount of significance to a small amount of people during life.

I'm just focusing on being happy with what I have then to fret over something I'll never know. Keep that roof over my head. Keep that broadband internet a-flowing. Keep the bar stocked with middle-shelf liquor. And some room for guitars.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Great is the man that conquers a nation; greater still is he who conquers himself. I aspire to be like water. Calm, transparent, and mostly unnoticed; but unstoppable if opposed. Even the largest boulder is no match for a patient, constant drip of water.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
quiet toiler easily. I'm just trying to live the best life I can live, but I don't really care nor intend to leave anything behind, not even a family.

frogman81

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm just focusing on being happy with what I have then to fret over something I'll never know. Keep that roof over my head. Keep that broadband internet a-flowing. Keep the bar stocked with middle-shelf liquor. And some room for guitars.

I think this is one of the better attitudes toward life that I’ve read in a long time :)

Perhaps the best case scenario is toiling away at something that you love, and ending up leaving a legacy by accident. I guess that I’m trying to answer my own question for myself, and thought that some other peoples’ answers would help.

Seybsnilksz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wanna have a job that I love, enough money to live and afford the occasional fun thing (guitars, hifi, concerts), and have a family.

NateFalcon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What makes a great person is all the countless unnameable favors and acts of love and friendship throughout a persons life. If it’s one thing I’ve learned in life is that it’s impossible to steer fate sometimes...illness and accidents have taken some of the most important people in my life away from me far too soon (including my son), so Legacies are left in the people you make memories with. I’ve had a fortunate life and it seems the less I’ve worried about money, the more I’ve made but after my sons accident money became paper and every possession I owned just turned into a hunk of metal, wood or plastic. My wife and I had to find strength and happiness somehow...it’s complicated but you learn to cling onto the simplest things, for me it’s helping others, being outdoors in the rain, sun, trees, water or wind. Personal happiness and the ability to affect others with said happiness is just as important as the ability to affect others with money or a legacy- it’s all the same if you’re truly a kick-ass person, really...having money without helping others or making the world a better place IMO is an empty legacy

Andrew Lloyd Webber

Super Duper Moduraturr
Reaction score
Each day, I deny myself the instinct to wander off and die. Still, those Fruity Pebbles need to be paid for.

possumkiller

Square Dance Caller
Reaction score
I don't think I'm totally silent in the toilet but it isn't as though I'd ever try to exaggerate the loudness my activities in there
Or pray for your BM. I was in a stall next to some guy straining and groaning and literally praying to god to deliver his BM.