Are these fake Gotoh tuners?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Alejandro Moreno, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Alejandro Moreno

Alejandro Moreno I

So i was on my way to replace tuners on a MIJ Ibanez RG7 and searching on Ebay I found a 7 set, i purchased them but noticed that they are not that "equal" to the original set, the finish is not that fancy and they lack the inner "Japan" Legend, they are kinda different as i can tell. Then i started to look if other models do the same thing like the one that some Jacksons used but they say "gotoh" instead.

We emailed the seller (a friend of mine helped me out to buy them) and his response was that they are OEM so that's why they don't have the inner legend.

Is he right or are they couterfit?

Some pics:

Original:
    [​IMG]

New: You can notice the lack of the inner legends and a less detailed finish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance. :shred:

2. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

Don't know for sure about the origin of these - I'm wondering if there is an OEM that makes the tuners and Gotoh buys branded ... or if Gotoh is the manufacturer and supplies OEM product where requested. :scratch:

Either way you may have the same tuner. Other than cosmetic differences how are they? Do they "feel" similar, as in no slop?

3. oversteve

oversteve SS.org Regular

These might be jin ho tuners but won't say for sure, if I'm not mistaken they were making the likes of gotoh for cheaper jacksons and charvels

4. Alejandro Moreno

Alejandro Moreno I

I know, it doesn't make sense. They look good, but not that good this is for a 7421XL i also have a 7620 and both feel better, more solid. I'd say that they feel kinda like the set that rhe RGs 7321s have, just good enough.

You think? They have the exterior Gotoh legend and they look kinda different that the Jin Ho, but i'm not sure too. :scratch:

What bothers me is that the seller said that they were New Old Stock, but they don't look like them.

5. Ibanez Rules

Ibanez Rules rich@ibanezrules.com Vendor

This is the seller that has about 100 sets on ebay right? With the Gotoh on the back shaft side like a JPM/JS1 tuner would have? If so, they didn't look quite right to me, and now that I've seen your close ups, I'd be more inclined to think they're counterfeits, like so many other things that are counterfeited today.

But in no way am I positive, just a gut feeling.

6. Alejandro Moreno

Alejandro Moreno I

That's right, Rich! It's him. They don't feel that good like a normal Gotoh, and i have Four MIJ RGs to compare, jajajaja. :(

7. Ibanez Rules

Ibanez Rules rich@ibanezrules.com Vendor

I thought about buying a couple sets for JPM's because they've been long discontinued, there was just something about them that was off, so I took my finger off the trigger.

8. Alejandro Moreno

Alejandro Moreno I

And it's kinda strange that he have many sets, how did he get too many? Also his english is AWFUL, poor customer service and he did'nt replied me with a real answer. They were too good to be true. :(