Are there disadvantages to using transpose function to get bass sounds

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Roykim34, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Roykim34

Roykim34 SS.org Regular

As opposed to using a cheap bass (without pickup change). I don't have a bass now and i transpose the guitar parts an octave down to get the bass parts. Does using 'transpose' sound less good than using a real bass?

2. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Depends on if you're doing anything besides just dropping the octave (bass amp, compression, etc).

3. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

It’s not ideal because it shifts everything so far down the EQ spectrum. You lose pick attack and string noise that are very important for definition and cutting through the mix. You will mostly be left with rumbly low end cause there is nothing left to fill in the high end that you would still get on a bass when playing in that octave.

Have you tried a midi bass? I use Ample metal for all my recordings. There’s lots of other and probably much better options like Zombass, Eurobass, EZBass etc

Carl Kolchak likes this.
  4. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I have done a couple tracks with Kemper’s transpose in the past with mediocre results. The actual tone itself wasn’t bad, as I ran it through a bass profile, but it had trouble keeping up with my playing speed, and would get occasional artifacts. If I played very slowly I could get something workable, as long as it wasn’t too high in the mix. I was instantly happier buying a couple actual basses though.

5. Wrecklyss

Wrecklyss Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder

Personally, I think a real bass will sound better. Here's a video shootout between a 9 string tuned from the low E of a bass vs an actual bass.

While the ERG does have it's use as it's own instrument, bass clearly does bass better.

That being said, Local H is a 2 piece band where the guitarist installed half of a P Bass pickup under the E and A strings of his guitar, ran it to an octave pedal, then sent that signal to a bass amp. They sound pretty much like a 3 piece band, so proof of concept also exists.

6. saved

saved SS.org Regular

Every instrument has its own character in the sound it produce.
    Swell,attack,depth,tone,sustain etc
    So,every instrument its not the same and not for all the purposes

7. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

I mod'ed a guitar almost similar to Local H's, except mine has a 2-pole pickup in the middle with its own output jack which goes to a Digitech Drop, then to a bass amp.

Masoo2 likes this.
  8. SteveFireland

SteveFireland SS.org Regular

I recorded a pile of demos recently with a guitar pitch-shifted down an octave. It wasn't terrible in the mix, but on any notes that rang out, it was a bit warbly and pitchy. I actually ended up buying EuroBass 2 and replaced all the parts, and although it's a little more work to click in MIDI for the bass parts, it's all in tune and sounds much better.

(I do have a bass, I just don't have it with me right now)

9. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall Player

If all you want is the low end I guess it will be fine.

If you want the sound and feel of the bass doubling the guitar riffs, there's nothing that can replace that pick attack and vibe of a real bass.

Even if you have a bass and guitar tuned in unison--take Meshuggah playing in F as an example--the scale length, string tension, pickup locations, and way you approach playing a bass vs. playing a guitar inherently change the way the same parts sound and feel, even if you played the bass and guitar through the exact same signal chain.

10. Carrion Rocket

Carrion Rocket Registered Lurker

11. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Use the real bass. It can't be that bad. Tone is in the fingers or something.

12. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

One thing that certainly won't translate using the transpose function is the "clank".

Adieu likes this.