Are there ANY progressive metal teachers out there?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by gabsonuro, Aug 6, 2015.

1. gabsonuro

gabsonuro SS.org Regular

i have been looking online for a teacher aswell as locally and i cannot find a single person that is a progressive metal teacher. everyone is either jazz/classical player or a rock player. can anyone point me in the right direction? looking for someone who can teach me some music theory and song writing in dream theater/periphery/intervals/tesseract style.

thanks

2. Lokasenna

Lokasenna SS.org Regular

Well, basic music theory is the same no matter what - different genres simply end up using some parts more than others. I'd recommend finding a rock teacher who knows some theory, hand him/her a burnt CD with some tracks you like, and say "Can you teach me stuff like this?"

3. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Do you have guitar pro? Just download all the songs you like and learn them at your own pace. You can easily learn the theory behind it when you see the notes being played, and any competent guitar teacher can get you up to snuff on theory. Honestly prog metal is a blend of jazz classical and rock so it wouldn't be hindering to study under any of them for a while. Triads with accidentals over a 2-5-1 can sound jazzy when played on the clean channel with flat wounds, and metal as fvck with high gain. Just listen to gorod for a good example of this.

4. trunragop

trunragop New Member

Triads with accidentals over a 2-5-1 can sound jazzy when played on the clean channel with flat wounds, and metal as fvck with high gain. Just listen to gorod for a good example of this.[​IMG]

5. breadtruck

breadtruck SS.org Regular

Well music theory is applicable across the board. There is no specific theory for progressive metal (other than noticing trends that can occur) so a general music theory teacher would help you with the fundamentals, which in turn may help your songwriting.

If you are dead set on learning that specific style then I think it's best to just learn to play some of your favourite songs. Use your ear to work them out rather than relying on tabs. It might take you a while to get a feel for it but training your ear like that and recognizing reocurring chords/scales in a few songs will give you an insight into what kinds of stuff you favourite musicians are writing.

If you're dead set on getting a teacher and are willing to shell out the cash, a lot of the players in the genre are great guitarists and know their stuff, and I know a few of them offer online lessons during downtime between tours.

6. gabsonuro

gabsonuro SS.org Regular

any particular players that do lessons?

7. breadtruck

breadtruck SS.org Regular

It changes all the time. Like I say, it depends when they are touring and stuff. I've seen members of Periphery, Protest the Hero, After the Burial, etc all offer online Skype lessons in the past. Bandhappy used to be good for setting up lessons with people from bands but the site has been shut down for a while now so I'm not sure if there is another similar website.

If there are a few players that you specifically would love to be taught by then you could try to contact them via Facebook/Twitter/AskFM or any forums they are a part of.

8. Stoker

Stoker Member