Are there any modern stereo high gain amps?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Bearitone, Apr 14, 2021.

1. oniduder

oniduder HONKEY DONKEY

koch supernova, is the only one i can think of, it's 3k so less than a used vh4s,

Bearitone likes this.
  2. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    Some times too many options is counter productive...? All the other arguments are strong, no question about it...

3. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Sure, if your self control needs work (and for some it does).

I have fun tweaking presets or making new ones, but when I just want to play I don't even change presets.

cwhitey2 and odibrom like this.
  4. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

One amp, stereo fx, into fx return of a second amp.

Brett Taylor, 4Eyes and Wuuthrad like this.
  5. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Ah i see. Basically just add a poweramp to my current rig (pedals into a head). And send one of the stereo signals to that poweramp.

honestly probably the cheapest solution and it fucks with my current rig the least.

Brett Taylor, 4Eyes and Deadpool_25 like this.
  6. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

Pardon my ignorance because it's not immediately obvious to me, but what's your use case for a stereo amp head?

Would you run a crunch channel on one side and lead on the other? Maybe a wet/dry setup, or something with built in stereo effects?

Preamp/modellers into a stereo poweramp is awesome, but that's a different beast than a stereo head to me.

7. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Exactly. And you’re using the preamp section of the first amp. This is what I’m sometimes doing with my Stealth/EL34 when I’m using real pedals. I put a stereo reverb pedal in the loop of the stealth, so mono in, but then use the stereo out to the FX return of the EL34. Works beautifully.

Bearitone likes this.
  8. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Just listened to some demos and that the thing sounds insane. Definitely want that to be my next head

9. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

If it doesn't have to be tube, then the Yamaha THR100HD sounds great and is very easy to operate. You can even blend the two channels together.

It has a pile of little quirks and annoyances that made me ultimately sell the unit but it does sound very good. If you have some pedals for fx you can get around some of the quirks.

Of course your options get much bigger if you just get a stereo poweramp. You can then run for example a modeler into one of those.

0rimus and Choop like this.
  10. odibrom

odibrom .

I've been in the stereo game since I got my Ibanez PT5 pedalboard way back in 1993 (?)... then a Roland GP100, a Boss VF1... powered by a pair of powered Laney Stage Monitors... Then a Triaxis came into play and the GP100 became FX only and the VF1 flew out of the window, then Mesa 2:Fifty came into play and a pair of 112 home made cabs, then a G-Force came in and the GP went for a walk... stereo all the way, even when I'm not using any stereo FX... Having 2 different (as in different places) sound sources is awesome.

Brett Taylor and Kyle Jordan like this.
  11. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Why don't you just buy a preamp + poweramp rack setup? Most poweramps are stereo and you can pair it with any preamp you like. If you need more amps and don't like modellers just get a bigger rack :shrug:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Brett Taylor, 0rimus and Choop like this.
  12. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

My plan(s) is to run high gain preamps into clean stereo power amplifier kinda deal. I've been doing exhaustive searching into this subject, with yet to reach a really satisfying solution.

Here are my findings:

Duncan Powerstage 700: True stereo, lots of power. It's more along the lines of a conventional power amp BUT! It does have a 3 band eq so it could have more clean tone capabilities.

Unfortunately nobody really has done a demonstration of the 700's validity as a stand alone clean amp (that I've found yet, at the time of writing this) so it could be a gamble.

Yamaha THR100H: Ticks alot of the boxes for my needs. However it is a bit pricey and I know had alot of people saying the tones weren't that great.

The biggest gripe of mine is the lack of stereo fx loops. They made almost every part of the amp stereo except the fx loop?

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you could split the fx loop into stereo with trs to dual mono cables but I can't find any absolute confirmation of anybody successfully doing it. It might just re-sum the stereo information back into mono *shrug*

Roland GA212: Roland, the God of all time best clean tones, graced us with this weird hyper modernized Jazz Chorus... Thing.

Was overpriced at launch and is unfortunately discontinued now. It also was only available as a 212 and 112 combo amp.

This would be the closest to perfect for me if it was a head.

Also there are so few reviews and information that I'm not 100% sure the fx loops could be used simultaneously, which would pretty much kill the plausibility right then and there (for my uses).

The front inputs are also high/low, however on the back there are stereo separated channel A and B inputs that could be used instead to get the same levels and routing.

I've been thinking alot about buying a GA112 and trying to re-headshell the thing. But they're still kinda hard to find.

13. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

Whoops! 1 casual 5 second search later. Straight from the horses mouth: Screenshot_20210415-091857.png

Damn, might be buying one of these now.

14. Emperoff

What a way of overcomplicating things when stereo poweramps have been around for decades :shrug:

Ok, I'll be that guy:
    Just buy a Mesa Triaxis + 2:90. More tones than you'll ever need. MIDI switchable (including poweramp modes) 180W stereo.

Brett Taylor, budda and odibrom like this.
  15. odibrom

odibrom .

Tested over the years as being a true solid solution...

Emperoff and budda like this.
  16. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Eh. Not a Mesa fan so I’d probably grab a different preamp if I went that route but, I get the picture.

odibrom likes this.
  17. budda

Fm3 and 2:90.

cwhitey2, Emperoff and Bearitone like this.
  18. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I’d probably go Fryette for the poweramp too.

My brain says FM3 or Kemper
    My wallet says just add a power amp to my current rig.
    My cock says get that Supernova.

19. Emperoff

Check out the Wangs thread. Seems cock-friendly.

odibrom and budda like this.
  20. budda

Then buy an fm3.

Emperoff likes this.