Are there any [9 or] 10 strings for sale under $500?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by yellow, Jan 10, 2013.

1. yellow

yellow Banned

Hi guys

I went to Agile site and I couldn't find any 10 strings listed, and I googled it and I also could not find any 10 strings. I didn't know if this was the right section to ask this, so please move it if necessary.

Does anyone know of a 10 string electric for under $500 for sale, or something around that price point?

Also, if there are no 10s around there, are there any 9s for the same neighborhood?

Thanks

2. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

you're not going to find any 9 or 10 strings for under $500, even rondos are $800+

3. shawnperolis

shawnperolis 7 String Indie Game Dev

I paid like 850 for my Agile 930. I can't imagine a 9 string being any cheaper than that.

4. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

You are in the right section. That being said, 10 string guitars are a very, VERY niche market, unless you go custom, you won't find many of them online.

Under 500$? The fact that a brand new 9 stringers Agile is under 1k is already pretty neat, under 500$ you'd more likely end up with a useless, toneless and shitty piece of wood with 10 strings on it IMO

Beside Agile, I'd be surprised that you'd find one under a 1k. And under 2k$, I'd be surprised if you'd find anything at all with more than 8 strings.

Cheers!

5. yellow

yellow Banned

damn, thanks very much guys. I guess ill have to wait and save up more.

6. gs_waldemar

gs_waldemar SS.org Regular

you could of course buy a guitar with a huge scale and less strings and leave the highest ones out. You hardly ever need the highest and the lowest string in one song

7. shawnperolis

This is exactly what is wrong with the extended range scene right now. Everyone goes out to buy a guitar with 8 or 9 strings on it and only plays on the lowest 2. If you know you aren't going to use a bunch of strings, a huge scale downtuned guitar is definitely the way to go.

8. yellow

yellow Banned

well, I have a few 6's, a 7 and an rg2228, but I wanted a 10 string for live performances to cover some bass work because of my composition and arrangement and the limited ability/lack of band members. I don't use the low end much actually, that is on my rg2228, but having it there sometimes provides interesting on the fly options to me. and I stay in standard tuning always.

thanks again

[p.s. to put it crudely, im a guitarists guitarist, or a musicians musician, and i don't mean that in an arrogant braggart sort of way at all, but u know people would see me as a technical virtuoso type shredder with complex music as opposed to a "nu-metal" (whatever that means) chugger that just plays simple chromatic nonsense down on the first position]

9. shawnperolis

I feel ya. Save up for a 9 string, you'll love it. =)

10. Arcanerain

Arcanerain Well-Known Member

That being said though, I do agree with what you're saying and I do admit that with my 8 I don't use every single string in one song but personally I prefer the profile of the necks on 8 strings and I find it a lot more comfortable to play on than a 6 string.

11. no_dice

no_dice a very bad old bear

Seems more to me like you could leave the middle octave out. A lot of people just want to chug down low, then solo up top.

12. Bretton

Bretton SS.org Regular

keep the same old EADGBE just drop EAD an octave

13. shawnperolis

I agree with this. I've been playing on my 9 string for awhile now and I tried to play a 6 the other day... It felt kind of funny. I like the thickness of an extended range guitar, I feel like I have better form on it.

14. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

Fixed that for you! Different people can and will do different things given the same set of tools.

OP: You might be able to find one used at something not too far above $500, but there aren't a whole lot of Agile 9s or 10s in existence so I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. Saving up is probably your best option.

15. codycarter

codycarter 5318008

Cha-Cha-Chapman Stick railboard or a Skeletone

Skeletone can get you a 10 string for under $800

16. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

17. shawnperolis

18. Arcanerain

Arcanerain Well-Known Member

19. Mr GriND

Mr GriND SS.org Regular

RIVERA BONEHEAD with los lobotom Subwoofer!!! Maybe in 2 years ( basic agile 8 string now 399$).

20. facepalm66

facepalm66 The Master of Joints

I don't really understand the rage at this point..
    So basically what you are saying is..
    1) I always have to use all or most of the string, otherwise I'm a douche and have 0 musicianship
    2)people always play the same music, so they have to go via the route of the point I have mention in the first segment?

I believe there are many styles of music beyond metal that you can use 8 string.
    Also, one can chug in the music you share, but might be using the higher ones somewhere else.
    In addition to that, there things called LEAD playing and RYTHM playing, and it depends on what role you are doing (and you can always do the opposite, even if you don't see that or even know that)
    Not every person is a tapping or shredding god
    Not every person is so good at doing all the melodic stuff in the song, but it does not mean that you can't have a multi string guitar.
    And not every person must have a shitty guitar, doesn't matter if he's a starter or a pro, a little faggy djent kid or an Afro wearing white hipster.

And the last, but not least, there aren't always great deals, for example, on 30" scale 6 string guitars, but there are plenty of 8 or 9 string ones. I assume not everyone are willing to pay extra for less.

And most importantly, your opinion is overall subjective.

This makes your post bad. And you should feel bad too.
    And when you are going to make a new letter for santa, stating that you've been good this year.. He'll die.. from laughter.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Cheers :shred: