Are the cheap Harley Benton guitars too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Zalbu, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

I actually did end up getting a HSH Fusion with the roasted maple neck a couple of weeks back and it surprised me with how nice it feels, I agree fully with what @Snarpaasi said. The build doesn't have any flaws as far as I can tell, no dead spots on the fretboard and nice fretwork.

The neck is just a tad too chunky for my tastes but that's just a matter of opinion and I'm used to playing my Ibanez RG neck, and the pickups aren't fantastic for higher gain tones but that's something to be expected on cheap guitars and something that I planned on replacing anyways.

I'm really happy about this because I've been looking for a HSH superstrat that is less geared towards metal, like my Ibanez RG, for a while and it's been basically impossible to find below the $1000 price tag.

Pretty much the only company I've seen that offers guitars like this below $2000 is Charvel, and if I wanted a guitar with the specs on the Fusion I'd have to grab a Suhr or Anderson or something similar to that. Fender have their Player Series Strats but they're 22 frets for some reason.

Has there really been this little demand for superstrats like these, even in HH, that aren't primarily geared towards metal and have Strat style non-locking trems, that barely anybody are offering them below $1000?

I recently saw that they added a Fusion HH Tele just a few months ago as well which I'm interested to pick up to use for more jazz and lower gain stuff.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_fusion_t_hh_ht_eb_bk.htm

2. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

Good to hear the build quality isn't just a coincidence. Some have said their CST weigh around 4kg which made me consider to order five Fusion Teles from Thomann and pick the best one. The Tele model seem to have better control layout since my picking hand tends to hit the vol pot.

I don't know really, some say its equivalent to other brands' $1000 price range but if playing open G eyes closed I'd go higher than that. Good stuff.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020