Are the cheap Harley Benton guitars too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Zalbu, Jun 4, 2019.

1. ajsfreily

ajsfreily SS.org Regular

Just did a sound test where I played the Harley Benton HB-35 (heavily inspired by the Gibson es335 ) side by side with a Gibson es335 (more) than 10 x times more expensive.

You might be surprised by the results.

Which one do you think sound better?

2. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

I was right about the distorted sounds, i figured the HB was first. I actually think, for the price, skip over the shitty gibson and get an HB. They both sounded equally as good.

ajsfreily likes this.
  3. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I actually liked the tones of the HB more but I expected that as I don't like the Gibson's pickups... They sound too grainy to me. With different pickups...

Anyway, I have always thought that you get a better guitar to have better playability not just better sound (more stable neck thru climate changes, better finish, smoother necks, better leveled frets and we'll polished...)

The "cheap" guitars are getting a lot better in that and the expensive ones maybe a bit lazy in that aspect so the gap is not as big as before maybe...

Definitely the sound is not an issue nowadays. Cheap pickups sound fucking great.

Wolfhorsky and ajsfreily like this.
  4. ajsfreily

ajsfreily SS.org Regular

You got good ears man! Yeah, the HB is good value for the money, no doubt about it.

5. ajsfreily

ajsfreily SS.org Regular

Yeah, I totally agree, cheap guitars getting a lot better, and it also put pressure on the big brands, that they can't just rely on old reputation, as the competition is getting tougher, so they can't be lazy without people noticing it.

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  6. MatiasTolkki

Now if only ibanez would tell those damn indonesians to stop making lemons, we'd be in good shape.

7. ajsfreily

ajsfreily SS.org Regular

My experience with Indonesian made Ibanez's has been good, most of them.

But of course they aren't Prestige models, but they are also more affordable.

8. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

I think asking if these guitars are good was a bad idea because now I'm planning to buy like four different HBs because they're so cheap, a Fusion, PRS clone, White Falcon clone and Tele :lol:

I'm going to give the PRS clone a shot first. I need to learn how to make proper guitar setups outside of just adjusting the truss rod and bridge, change pickups and do basic mods like installing locking tuners so a guitar that goes for only €200 is a good starting point.

Surveyor 777, ajsfreily and Zhysick like this.
  9. astrocreep

astrocreep SS.org Regular

I've got a friends HB tele at the moment to give the frets some attention, heights are a little uneven at the moment so the lowest of actions isn't possible. The fret ends and everything else was ok.

I bought a HB lefty fanned fret 7 and sadly had to send it back (which they made really easy) due to the edge of the fretboard being in a crap state which never should have got through any quality control.

Zhysick likes this.
  10. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I bought a HB semihollow ten years or so ago, it was pure crap, but the pickups sounded good. I guess it doesn't take much money to do a good sounding pickup. The luthiery has gone up over the years but their pickups being ok is nothing new.

About the sound check, B has my preference but it is noticeably louder than A so I don't think it's a valid comparison.

11. MatiasTolkki

Well thats a good point, because the gibson has a p90 or something and the HB has a humbucker or something like that, and I already dont like single coils all that much to begin with, which is also probably why i like the HB sound more.

12. ajsfreily

ajsfreily SS.org Regular

Did you check out my review of it? It is great guitar for the money! Just adjusted the string height, and it was good to go. But of course, if you want to mod it, it is perfect to do so because of the price.

13. ajsfreily

ajsfreily SS.org Regular

Personally I have no experience with the old HB, but I heard that the HB guitars were quite bad back in the old days, and that it is a completely different guitar brand now days.

The HB I got is far from pure crap, I would say it is quite the opposite for the amount of money it cost. It is not a toy, it is a real guitar, but yes, a well sounding budget guitar.

14. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Not a guitar, but anyway... First impressions are great, I havent found a flaw yet and this thing is LOUD acoustically!

https://ibb.co/QKWhxGz

Nbd in bass section of the forum.

Zhysick likes this.
  15. GuitarMegaFan

GuitarMegaFan SS.org Regular

HARLEY BENTON DC CUSTOM 612 DOUBLE NECK GUITAR DEMO!

Harley Benton DC Custom 612 double neck electric guitar demo!
    Relaxing music.
    100% “shred free”!
    Don't hesitate to LIKE, SUB and SHARE! ;)

16. GuitarMegaFan

GuitarMegaFan SS.org Regular

Hello!
    Come have a trip with me and my double neck guitar!

17. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

It'd be awesome if HB had a 7 string Fusion guitar with a trem... I'd be all over it

18. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

Just bought a second hand Fusion trem HSH bengal burst that has Tonerider Generators. Have to say this thing is a fantastic guitar as such! Neck pocket is tight AF, neck profile is nicely beefier than my other HB, fret work is excellent and it weighs a bit less what I consider average. Most importantly, it rings pretty loud and resonates in hand. Where it falls a bit are few blemishes in the satin neck, most notably a full fingerprint :D I don't care that much of finish flaws as long as it rings and plays nicely. NGD coming when have time to take pictures.

19. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

At least you can identify the fucker who flubbed it and hunt em down to get your revenge.

20. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

True! Except at the cost I'd rather enjoy six more HBs and a pack of Corona on a saturday evening than track him down somewhere in China.