Are Mesa single rec 50w cheaper /easier to fix than the other recs?

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dual/triple recs are a known nightmare for amp techs with their layered circuit boards etc making even small fixes a time consuming money pit.

My question is are the SINGLE RECTIFIER 50watts any better? (ie cheaper to get fixed etc)?

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They're busy, but I don't know if I'd call them "nightmares." I've needed service on my old Triple and no one seemed to be bothered. :shrug:

The fact it's a fairly common amp and Mesa is usually really helpful as far as answering questions and providing schematics makes me think it's hard for folks not used to tearing into amps, vs. professional techs.

I don't think the Single would be any cheaper to work on, assuming the issue is like for like. A whole bunch of fried components or searching for a weird gremlin ain't cheap regardless of amp.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I would be wary of a tech that calls a rectifier a nightmare, tbh. I replaced a gain pot on my triple rectifier with no prior amp repair experience and it was like a 5 minute job after it was out of the headshell. It was also very cleanly wired inside, not a mess whatsoever.

I would say that I could see something from the mark series being a headache but I’ve not cracked one open.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
i would like to see the 50 watt single recto come back without all the added switching on the new multi watt models.

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So its 2022... Whats everyones experienced opinions on the single rec (series 2) these days?

Its easy to nitpick.. But theyre awesome aren't they? Yay, nay?

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
So its 2022... Whats everyones experienced opinions on the single rec (series 2) these days?

Its easy to nitpick.. But theyre awesome aren't they? Yay, nay?
Watch plaguescythestudios video on the single rectifier. It’s very detailed and an interesting watch anyway.

Choop

n______n
Reaction score
Mesa's relationship with shops/techs is weird -- I've had techs deny servicing my amp before if they weren't a certified Mesa repair person, even if it was just to investigate a noise issue or whatever. I'm sure some still might, but I ended up having to find a certified Mesa repair place to have a look at my gear, and it was out of the way for me (still only like a 1.5 hour drive, but I had to go to a different city).

I think the only real advantage of the single recs though is that they are 50w and have less tubes to replace lol, and maybe lack of the tube rectifiers makes them a little more simple in the power section(?).