Are Kiesel guitars worth if you live in EU?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by lurè, Oct 25, 2018.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire chasing the tone dragon

I've used the majority of elysian's lineup and they're all excellent pickups imo. The obsidian is a tweaked trident iirc, and the trident I/II and their offshoots are my favorite 8 string pickups. They can do basically anything you throw at them and have the best clarity I've heard from an 8 string pickup besides the x-bar.
    If you're looking for a kind of similar feel from a guitarmory pickup, alnico 8 scud or the orion would be your best bet (though they approach the midrange very differently).

lurè likes this.
  2. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

You have to pay the vat of your country (mine is 22%) which is applied the moment the shipment reaches your state.
    Vat is appllied on the declared custom value which is the price of the object plus shipping plus another small percentage depending on the country you are importing .

A lot of taxes but it's still cheaper then any headless multiscale in EU, unless you find one used.

3. C_Henderson

C_Henderson SS.org Regular

Are you sure? I remember I tried to spec a multiscale Zeus 6 to see how close I could get to the Strandberg Boden Metal (similar woods, finish and Fishmans, though obviously no Endurneck or roasted maple) and it ended up at roughly 2000 € before taxes and shipping (and still no Endurneck or roasted maple). The Boden is roughly 2100 € with taxes and shipping.

4. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

8 string Boden are about 2500€ in Thomann.

I've tried to spec a Vader 8 multiscale with a walnut-purpleheart neck, mahogany body , thin profile neck and , simple solid finish and luminlay dots charging around 1700€ shipping included. If you add all the taxes is around 2000€.

5. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

You can apply for a tax refund if you want to send it back, just send it back as a re-export or something like that (with the proper documents) and you'll eventually get your paid taxes and import fees back. Of course they won't refund the shipping costs.

Personally I wouldn't touch Kiesel with a 10 foot pole, given the business owner's reputation :)

Thomann stocks Ormsby, I'm sure they ship to Italy? At least you can send that back if you don't like the guitar. A lot of EU dealers stock Ormsby nowadays. Like this shop:
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/170409309706006--ormsby-hype-gtr-8-multiscale-natural

6. C_Henderson

C_Henderson SS.org Regular

The finish and pickups are what drive the price up mostly as I'm seeing, those alone are adding almost 500€. I just tried to spec a Vader multi 8 with the specs of the Boden Original 8 and I'm getting 2500€ before shipping and taxes.

Last year I was briefly (as in for a day) tempted to get one with a trem, but when I tried to spec it as I wanted (nothing too fancy aside from a koa top) we'd be talking about a little less than 3000€ everything included. Definitely far too much and I wasn't keen on supporting the brand anyway, so I ended up getting a Strandberg with those specs for less than that and I ended up liking it a lot better.

7. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

I think the trick is to keep it as simple as possible, which is totally fine for me.
    I'm more concerned about a comfortable multiscale ( fan below 2") and a nice body shape, overall the quality must be good and at a reasonable price.

If I had to spec a Kiesel similar to a Strandberg and spend 2500€ before shipping and taxes, I might as well go for a custom shop.

8. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I would try to score a used Skervesen if that's what you want. For an 8-string I feel the 26-28" scale on my Shoggie is more comfortable than the 26.5-28" that was on the Strandberg Boden OS 8 I had. Small difference but it was noticeable. 25.5-27" is spot on for a 7-string IMO.

9. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

Wouldn't a custom like a RAN or Mayones be around the same price in the EU?

10. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Don't know Mayones but with RAN you can easily go beyond 2k for an headless 8 string multiscale.

11. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I had to pay 1/3rd of the price last time I imported a guitar and it was a major headache with all the emails, paperwork and phone calls trying to get it through customs. I'd search for a guitar for sale in the EU first before looking outside.

12. juka

juka SS.org Regular

Had similar concerns before ordering my first Kiesel recently, but everything went perfectly well (and I'm one of those guys where usually everything that can go wrong goes wrong!)
    http://sevenstring.org/threads/ngd-kiesel-zeus-7.332198/

Knowing exactly what you want in a guitar and having asked all questions before placing your order helps a lot avoiding any bad feelings towards Kiesel.

Taxes will not be as high as you fear, because you pay the 20% deposit plus the shipping costs at the very beginning right after placing your order and so the bill accompanying your guitar through customs only states the rest.

If you are not sure about the Kiesel pickups, why not order an Osiris or Zeus with the Fishman option?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    lurè likes this.
  13. Gadjet

Gadjet SS.org Regular

I custom ordered a kiesel dcm8 a couple of years ago. The guitar was about 1900$ and I ended up paying 400€ in taxes and import fees. Great guitar, no doubt about it. The only thing I'm not completely happy about is the lithium pickups. They're not bad but I think they lack some definition on the 7th and 8th string.

lurè likes this.
  14. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Glad to hear taxes are applied after the 20% deposit.

Lithiums are relative concern: 99% I'm swapping them for an Elysian or Guitarmory set.

15. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Interesting you would say that because to me if anything the Lithiums lack a bit of low mids which helps their clarity. Don't know if the 8 string version is different from the 7-string in this regard.

16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire chasing the tone dragon

they're definitely not super clear on the 8th string ime, but that was moreso an issue with my koa vader 8 and not with my maple necked vader 8. The maple one had pretty good clarity down to D1. The very bright high end was more of the persistent issue for me.