Are Carvin guitars really all that and a bag of chips?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Sgroh87, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87 Member

I know, I'm out of the metal club for using that expression. Anyway...

I just recently (Jan 16th) got a Schecter C-8 from Guitar Center for about $550 before tax. It's in great condition and feels a lot better after I put some Circle K strings on it, but now I'm wondering if I jumped the gun. I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and Carvin's DC800 seems to be held in pretty high regard. After playing with their calculator, I put together a walnut body with a quilted maple top in purpleburst for about $1500 before tax. This is obviously a lot more than I paid for the Schecter, but how does the quality compare, both in a direct 1-to-1 comparison and in value:cost?

The extra $1000 is something I could spare, but it would be a lot tighter than I'd planned and I'd probably have to sell one of my other instruments to help cover it. I have one in mind, to be honest; I haven't really had the urge to play my alto saxophone in a long time...

To give you some insight into how I think about instruments: this is my first extended range guitar, and I'm enjoying it a lot. I know that it's something I'm going to play and keep for a long time, so I'm willing to invest what's necessary to get something nice that will last a long time. I still have a week or so to decide whether to keep the Schecter or return it, so tell me: what do you think?

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I've never played a C-8, but I have played Carvins, BRJs, KxK, etc., and I can tell you that the Carvins are awesome for the price, even if the price is well over $1000. My personal opinion would be to spec out a Carvin, don't do any Option 50s, and then try it for the week you're allowed to, and return it and rebuy the C-8 if it doesn't blow your socks off. Or just pull the trigger on an in-stock one. My guess is you'll keep it, but Carvin has a no-questions asked return policy, so you're safe.

EDIT: Just checked - there are some badass DC800s in stock right now.

3. mphsc

mphsc lover of fine woods

4. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

5. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

I got a C8 FR and it's one helluva quality guitar. Freaking gorgeous too. I used to own a Carvin 727, and they're worth the price, but you won't notice higher quality. What you WILL notice is the different scale length, different neck profile, different body contours, and different sound. And that's all preference. :2c:

6. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

I haven't played a DC800, but every Carvin I've played has been easily on par with stuff like Ibanez Prestiges, ESPs, and US Fenders. Between the quality and options (especially stuff like wood choice, 5-piece necks, and stainless steel frets) I don't think you can beat Carvins for the price. If it's something you're enjoying and taking seriously, I say do it :yesway:

7. larry

larry ". . . . . . . ."

i vote carvin. not sure what the exact specs of your c8 are, but i second the carvin's value. i would overlook schecter for carvin just on the ability to choose certain specs right off the bat. as philligan said, if guitar is going to be something that you'll be committing to then the jump to a semi-custom instrument is worth it. playing guitar is fun, even more so when it's got the specs you ordered.

8. Galius

Galius Mentally Guitarded

My DC800s easily blow away any of the Agile, Schecter, LTD, and Ibanez 8 strings I've played. For almost all of the 8s I've owned or played they have been the highest end models each company makes.You have to consider that Carvin is using higher quality woods and material so the base price being close in price to other brand top offerings the DC800 is a steal. However you have a lot of options for quality and aesthetic upgrades. You can spec one out with a fancy top at a premium, or use your imagination to use cheaper options to make a very appealing axe. In the end they all slay the same in terms of quality and playability. I payed 1400 for my first one because I paid for a fancy wood top which drove the price up but I still think it was a great value for such an instrument.

9. 7stg

7stg SS.org Regular

Carvin makes amazing guitars. They are at least as good as the top of the line from other major brands plus the ability to pick woods, colors, and components makes them the best thing next to full custom. Plus they arrive in about 2 months vs much much longer for a full custom.

10. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I think we've pretty well established that Carvins are, indeed, all that. But allow me to be the first to directly answer the OP's question and state that they are also, in fact, a bag of chips.

11. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

It's the smaller bag of chips though, not the huge bag.

12. mr_ormus777

mr_ormus777 Grey Alien

Sydney, Australia, formerly Zeta Reticuli
    But it does come with fish as well...:fawk:

13. Brohoodofsteel75

Brohoodofsteel75 SS.org Regular

Yep. I still haven't found an 8 as good as a Carvin for the price. Even if its well over $1000.

14. Clydefrog

Clydefrog SS.org Regular

Unless something REALLY nice comes along, I'm probably never going to own a guitar that isn't Carvin again.

15. yuureikun

yuureikun SS.org Regular

Yeah but lets face it, those big bags aren't all they are cracked up to be. They are always only about hall full of chips and the rest of it is air!

Anyway, I own a Carvin DC800 and have owned 3 different Schecter C-8s. The Schecters are definitely awesome guitars, but pale in comparison to a Carvin in my opinion. I couldn't get over how much more thin and comfortable the neck on my Carvin was compared to my Schecters when I had first gotten it. It is really an amazing guitar and well worth more than what Carvin charges.

16. Cheap Poison

Cheap Poison SS.org Regular

I too feel I would only be purchasing Carvins after my first one i got second hand off of here..

But alas! I live in europe so they really aren't all that great for cause of the upcharge to get them here.

But they are awesome!

17. Tom Drinkwater

Tom Drinkwater ERG/ERB Builder

Over the years i've had the opportunity to own and play many different Carvin guitars. Having also had the opportunity to play a shit ton of highend boutique guitars that cost a hell of a lot more than Carvin (PRS, Link Luthier, Alembic, Soloway, Veillette, Gibson Art and Historic Division, etc) I can actually say with all certainty and without exception that Carvin makes the best guitar for the money. You will not find a higher quality guitar in that price range.

18. Tom Drinkwater

Tom Drinkwater ERG/ERB Builder

I'm sure one of you American friends from ss.org would be happy to order the guitar for and send it to you thus bypassing the EU distributor. That would save you a pile of cash.

19. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

My first carvin was my DC800. Looking forward to my second carvin. Now that they will be offering OFR on their builds I might have to do a 7-string from them!

You CANNOT beat the price of a Carvin and match the quality. I played the RG2228 and after comparing it to my Carvin I would pay MAX $1000 for a RG2228 in good shape. The DC800 definitely takes the cake. You can get a better guitar but you will need to spend a considerably larger sum of money.

20. RGA8

RGA8 SS.org Regular

Carvin