Are band websites still a necessity or worth paying for/maintaining?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Rev2010, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

*MODS - If a similar thread has already been made don't hesitate to close and redirect me.

So I was wondering what all your opinions are on band websites. I just recently bought hosting again for super cheap (sale) being my band now has a drummer and singer, one member away from completion and us finally getting things moving. I had a website as well prior for my electronic industrial band that has two albums out but was on GoDaddy and the prices got just too much to keep it going considering there was sooo little web traffic and my metal project only had the band logo up. *I* seem to think people these days more follow the on-goings of a band through Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc social media patlforms. Do you guys find you still visit band websites for info, merch, and other things? Do you find a band less "valid" if they don't have an official website? What are all your thoughts on this?

Rev.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Depends on the age of your audience.

Under 40, it probably doesn't matter. Over, maybe a little. The younger you go the more likely social media is all you really need.

3. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

As someone who tries to keep up with tours, album releases, member changes and countless other things about the bands I like it’s very rare I’d ever go on their websites. There’s no need with social media and sites like Wikipedia.

As a result of fighting for reach what is becoming more popular again is mailing lists and that’s something you should look in to.

vilk likes this.
  4. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

As a person who started 2019 with both a new band and a new solo project, the only personalized website I’ve seen a need for, so far, is Bandcamp, and I’m not sure that even counts. Everything is available through third parties who will do it better and cheaper than any of us can individually - CDBaby, distrokid, Bandcamp for music distribution, IG/FB/YouTube/etc for marketing and promotion, and so on. A pro band with a hefty following could get enough use out of one as a central site for info, but beyond that... I can’t see the point anymore.

I will say, I’ve run into more than one boomer restaurant/bar owner who didn’t want to hear about a Facebook page or whatever... hell, some demanded a CD :lol: So it could be useful at that level. But that’s pretty much it.

XPT707FX and AxeHappy like this.
  5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

6. Erin Hayden

Erin Hayden Professional Amateur

In general, I'd also say no. Back when social media wasn't as big of a thing as it is now, you basically had to look up some band's website in order to find out anything. If the band didn't have one... well, tough shit. Nowadays, though? You don't even have to look far. Most of the reporting on a band's current doings is done by other fans, and consequently spread in social media. Many bands have social media accounts, and that's basically it.

I think, these days, you only need a central hub where your listeners can get the latest news from. I don't think it really matters where that hub is, to the point where you could probably make a simple Discord server and have it linked on your Twitter profile. Getting your stuff out there is a lot more straight forward than it was 10-15 years ago imo

Merrekof and MerlinTKD like this.
  7. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Make your bandcamp page awesome and go forth.

8. Splenetic

Splenetic SS.org Regular

If your band is big enough to maintain your own store, and secondarily, if you have a big enough fanbase to have a forum, it can be useful/beneficial.

There's certainly a point where it can make more sense to run your own store than to rely on third party services, especially considering the scalable nature of web servers these days (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc...cloud servers). One day you might get 100 people buying a digital album (or a package with digital download while the physical media is being sent) from you and downloading it and then on another day that number might increase to 3,000 (new release day or something)....there's ways to minimize the cost by automatically scaling up and down the service across multiple servers and regions without any downtime depending on the traffic and bandwidth used. So on slow days, it might cost just a few bucks/cents, and on ramped up days or even hours, the cost increases accordingly. In such scenarios the cost of the used resources might be lower than giving a percentage of your sales to a third party company.

That said, this realistically generally applies to bigger bands mainly.

Otherwise, not really. The only exception I can think of is if one or more of your band members are coders themselves, and want to do some cool shit to have in their portfolios and keep their skills up to date in case the band thing doesn't work out, or if they do it as a side job.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    aesthyrian and Merrekof like this.
  9. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

Have a free bandname.wordpress.com site that redirects to your Bandcamp. Anything else is overkill.

10. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

Essential for cover/wedding bands IMO.

Edit: Also not a bad idea if you're a touring band. Finding tour dates on Facebook or Ticketmaster are a fucking mess.

11. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Do you have any plans to post anything on it that people couldn't get on various other platforms you're on?

If not, then it's probably not worth it.

Even before the big social media boom I only just barely paid attention to band sites for anything but rig rundowns guitarists would sometimes give.

Except for Gorillaz but that was a fully fleshed out point-and-click adventure puzzle game set in their fictional universe... God, I miss Flash sites...

MerlinTKD likes this.
  12. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

How are you putting up an electronic press kit without a website? Is this possible through social media now?

13. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Nah, just put in all of your dates as "events". Then everyone gets a reminder 2 days after the event. Easy peasy.

aesthyrian, Nlelith, bostjan and 2 others like this.
  14. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

The most I would do is probably one of those websites that just links all your platforms in one place. Maybe you could put tour dates and a mailing list below it.

15. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 lifetime novice Contributor

I knew I was missing something. Calendaring tech is still so new and unsettled.:lol:

16. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I swear to god, I've never seen a post about an "upcoming" event until it's already happened. The only reason they are helpful is as a reminder to go look up, on their website, when events are that are actually upcoming.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  17. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Man I have bought band merch from directly within Instagram before. Websites may help with older business owners like someone else mentioned, but an active social media presence is key imo.

18. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

I have one and my listenership skyrocketed to 40 plays.

Alimination, Rev2010 and Seabeast2000 like this.
  19. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

The cover band I started here and played in for 2 years did only that, no website. They are now the 2nd or 3rd biggest cover band in VT, and never had anything more than facebook.
    Last band I tried to do a real website for had 99% of traffic coming from overseas...
    Now I just have my blog on my old site and use a chinsy google site. Having a bandcamp page is pretty important, but I really don't see a real website being even close to worth the cost to maintain it when it doesn't do anything you can't accomplish more effectively through other methods for free.