Are 8 strings dead?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by r3tr0sp3ct1v3, Dec 16, 2018.

1. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I do think each player is going to have an optimal/preference for a certain neck width. 6 string necks feel very strange to me and much too narrow. I like playing 8 strings and most of the time, that's what I'm picking up. But when I do pick up a 7-string, it's like coming home. It just feels so much more comfortable, even if the scale length is the same. It's not a huge deal and I quickly adjust back to the 8-string, but it's definitely a thing for me.

Acaciastrain360 likes this.
  2. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I think the whole 8 string thing’s chilled out a bit but they definitely aren’t dead.

I find I don’t get odd looks from people when I pull out 7’s or 8’s any more, it’s just a thing people do.

That said, I just bought a Jazzmaster soooo...

lewis and ThePhilosopher like this.
  3. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

So you're saying Rook II will have Jazzmaster tones?

ThePhilosopher likes this.
  4. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Love me some single coils mate.

StevenC likes this.
  5. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Unfinity playthrough but all the guitars are Jazz masters please.

Masoo2 and Rook like this.
  6. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

The fine fellow I bought my RGA8 from, actually laughed when I plugged it in and played riffs other than 0-1-0-0-0-1-0-0-2 ... he was surprised to see someone buy one for something other than binary metal, and said as much.
    My other guitar player has a 6 string tuned to B, so if the riff has him on the E string, I like to do an octave lower on the F# string. Our bass backing tracks were recorded on a 5 string (BEADG) so the bass/6 string play the same thing.
    I'll second the notion that I like to use my 8 string as 3 guitars; 6,7 and 8. Just very convenient having a standard tuned 6, standard tuned 7 and 8 all in 1 guitar.
    Lastly, I love the idea of a 6 string baritone guitar, and have owned a couple. IME, I just couldn't get along with the 28 inch scale length of the MMM1 (absolutely amazing guitar otherwise imo), and (going back to the point above) I felt that I was losing a lot of utility having a 6 string tuned F#BEADG.
    All that being said; I think a 6 string with a drop pedal or the line6 guitar/helix 'any-tuning-any-sound' setup is pretty neat (frog leap band/12 foot ninja).

Kyle Jordan and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  7. PariahMusic

PariahMusic SS.org Regular

Me too...until I remember it would never be left handed.

8. oniduder

oniduder HONKEY DONKEY

no they make strings for them, the day i have to buy a six string set and two singles like when i first started playing an 8 is the day they are dead,

but idk who cares,

9. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I've done this since they first came out, I've never liked the gauge options that come with 8 string packs.

10. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I've done so as well but recently I've found some sets with gauges like 9-80 which I think should work for me.

11. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Kalium, LaBella, StringJoy... lots of places to build your own sets. IME, bass strings sound dead at guitar scale lengths compared to jumbo-size guitar strings.

12. GatherTheArsenal

GatherTheArsenal SF2 > Everything

I don't think they're dead at all, I mean you can easily buy a range of them from a number of retailers whether independent or large (i.e. Tom Lee, Long & McQuade, etc.). And they're still prevalent in modern metal genres which still has a following so I dunno if they're as much a fad as people thought they'd end up being.

I still pick mine up and write on it a few times a week so personally I think they're very much alive. However, I am truly tired of coming across certain bands playing 8-strings where 2 guitarists and 1 bass player combined can't manage to (or don't want to) play any melodies. Just the standard approach of picking or palm-muting the low strings and playing a quick minor-scale lead ontop to sound all doom-ish before a palm-muted breakdown… repeat for 8-10 tracks and let's go tour!

ThePhilosopher likes this.
  13. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

I'd argue that they are alive more than ever. Can find an 8 or even two on the shelf at most guitar stores now. Go back even 5 years ago and unless it was a massive, massive store you were shit out of luck.

AxeHappy likes this.
  14. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I like 8s for the reason of thumb placement, like others have said. It forces me to keep my thumb in the middle of the back of the neck, which actually makes me play better, and is more comfortable. I wouldn't say it tesselates the thumb, but it steel feels good. :lol:

AxeHappy and StevenC like this.
  15. GunpointMetal

Not everything needs to have a big brain behind it. Playing music that sounds like a mountain falling down is hella fun live.

I play music, iamaom and mlp187 like this.
  16. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Yes. That's all you get because you're not paying 6K.

17. GatherTheArsenal

Agreed whole-heartedly, though it doesn't take complex thought to add a melody in a song in order to condition the listener a bit. My point is more so to say that I appreciate a balance in dynamic, doesn't need to be the whole album either or an over the top feely feels melody for that matter. Build me up a bit then bring down those mountains around me, it stands out more when it's done that way and becomes memorable. Makes me want to listen to it more or at the least abuse the rewind button to hear that part again.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  18. GunpointMetal

Some music is a sledgehammer and that's its only goal. I agree its not dynamic, or interesting to listen to for everyone, but some people wanna get trapped under that avalanche and not catch a breath for 45 minutes. No need to condition the listener for a bludgeoning, lol. But I get it, and I appreciate music with ebb and flow as well. Beating the fuck out of your low strings sure is a fun way to spend 30 minutes on stage, though.

GatherTheArsenal likes this.
  19. GatherTheArsenal

This is true, it's in own way it is a trip in and of it's own. Definitely have to look harder for dynamics since they may be more subtle in that case. I can't speak for playing that kinda music live but hey as long as both ends of the stage are into it, then that's really all you want in the end.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  20. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Ibanez showing an RG5328 for 2019, at least in Europe. SS frets and ash body!

8-strings get to live another year!