Are 8 strings dead?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by r3tr0sp3ct1v3, Dec 16, 2018.

1. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

This is what I'm saying! People have no problem watching someone play their bottom string on a 6-string all night, but if you do it on an 8 string, all of the sudden you're wasting the rest of the guitar, lol. MOST metal bands spend a majority of their time on open strings/low notes, why does it matter how many unused strings there are above it?

Sklubby, mlp187 and Acaciastrain360 like this.
  2. icipher

icipher SS.org Regular

Unless you're Tosin Abasi, I've never really seen the need for an 8 string. 7 strings are still far over many people's ability to utilize. So many bands using 8 strings just chug the low string for 90% of the time. Get a damn baritone 6 or 7.

Albake21 likes this.
  3. GunpointMetal

Somebody needs to show me these 8 string bands that only chug the low string.

mlp187 and Acaciastrain360 like this.
  4. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

My point is still valid for 7 string guys too.

5. Albake21

Like I said before, the difference with a 6 string guy doing it is the fact is they are using a normal guitar. They didn't buy anything special (like a 7 or 8) to do those things. If they want the lower notes, get a baritone. No need for a 7 or 8.

6. GunpointMetal

But, I mean, why do you care is what I want to know. It's like seeing someone with a Ferrari, but all they do is drive to work and back with it. Yeah, maybe its a waste of the capabilities of the car, but WHO CARES? Dude can afford to drive a Ferrari to work and back every day, none of my business, still a sick ride. There seems to be this (and I'm not saying this is you, just in general) "Well, I only need a 6 string (or 7 string) to do le br00tulz, so that dude only needs that, too." when in actuality, it doesn't matter at all, you're both just chucking around on the bottom three strings, so you both just need a three string guitar.

7. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

i only chug on the high e/a. Unless you're Max Cavalera, I don't understand why you would need the F#/B/E/A/D/G.

StevenC likes this.
  8. Albake21

I don't. like I said before, people can play what ever they want to play. This is a forum where we discuss about gear, so I'm just giving my opinion, which that opinion has to do with OP's original post.

9. Acaciastrain360

Acaciastrain360 Don’t need no money, cus suicide is free

Yeah I agree with you... it’s all about what sound comes from an 8 and how it looks and feels.... who gives a shit how anyone plays it, if they make music, it’s being used properly! I’m no amazing player, I have an 8... I only use the lowest 6 strings MAX! don’t use the b or e at all...
    But I love playing TAS and Volumes etc, quite simple guitar riffing. But hey, who cares what I think! FUCK 8 STRINGS... too many strings man! Make a meme about it or something, keyboard warriors
    :D haha

GunpointMetal likes this.
  10. Acaciastrain360

You’re full of crap... chug core is baritone 6 strings... back in the 00’s

11. guitaardvark

guitaardvark SS.org Regular

It would help your argument that you're not complaining if the original post wasn't composed of complaints, snarky remarks, and sarcasm. Also, I've never heard an educated discussion framed as a "rant". I'm not against the post, but if you're trying to start a civil discussion, then start it civilly.

I see where you're coming from, but have to respectfully disagree. When I had an 8 string, I had it because of the options it presented me with. While I did my djenty stuff and only used the bottom four strings for my own recordings, I also played in a more traditional rock band that used mostly the top seven strings, and I'm sure I'm far from the only person to do this kind of thing. I personally don't believe that you don't have to be using all 8 strings all the time to make owning one worth it.

12. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

Why don't we have eightstring.org? This makes me berry unhappy.

Acaciastrain360 likes this.
  13. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

I think we are getting off topic. I also realize I named the thread the wrong thing. "Are 8 strings dying off?" would be a better title. I think it could even emcompass 9 string players. I feel bad for them most of all because the lower priced selection is prety garbo.

Less lower priced instruments -> No reasonable way to test the waters-> No testing the waters -> Stupid impulsive buy for a custom 9 string that devalues the instant it is built. -> sadness and financial loss -> Wife going to live with sister for a few months -> Losing your kids -> Insufficient source of keeping personal health -> Eating taco bell every meal -> Diarrhea every day.

Thanks Ibanez

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    GunpointMetal likes this.
  14. GunpointMetal

As long as Agile is still making random ERGs they're relatively affordable, and you know they depreciate, so its not a surprise (plus Agile 9s are better than the offerings from Schecter and Ibanez anyways).

I think the ERG market is just evening out. They must still be moving some, or they'd stop making them completely.

15. icipher

icipher SS.org Regular

You mean like the Acacia Strain? Saw them live a month ago and while awesome, when they brought out their 8 strings it was all low string chug.

16. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Near as I can tell, about one member in three on this board.

I personally have little interest in eight strings,* but I bought my first seven back in the early 2000s, in the wake of the nu-metal bubble bursting, so I certainly no what it feels like to get all the "why seven, isn't six enough" crap. So, whatever, you guys do you. :yesway:

*I should probably explain that for me, a lot of the issue is amplifying the low F# string and getting it to sound clear, articulate, and not fighting the bass for space. I could see them working well for fingerstyle or touchstyle and one day I could see myself picking one up for that sort of clean solo unaccompanied stuff, but as the total range expands the problems of amplification, especially with distortion, on one hand, and the problems of scale on the other (my only multi-scale experience has been with a Dingwall, but I didn't really love it) and balancing the tonal considerations of the low and high notes, become greater. Of course, for the most part, I would likely use an 8 much like a seven, less for low string riffage than to expand the range in any single scale position, so who knows. I actually considered putting together a bare-bones Carvin 8 for a while there, but now that they're Keisel and with all the customer service/QC shit that's come with that, I'm out. It just hasn't been a high priority for me, and if anything I've been playing my six string Strats a lot more these days.

17. Acaciastrain360

Maybe you should read the tabs, your ear isn’t great

Maximal and GunpointMetal like this.
  18. GunpointMetal

I've found much below C you're going to be filtering out anything that's getting in the bass range and relying on harmonics and overtones to carry the guitar tone anyways, especially recording, but also live. In fact I've found with my low-tuned instruments its the attack and upper end that is more likely to clash with/cancel out bass than the low end, because nobody wants to hear and A0 fundamental from a distorted guitar anyways. That single scale position thing is a big plus, too. With an eight in drop E, you have a a the whole range of a 6-string up to the 15th fret in one (12th) position, or as with my 9s, the whole range of a drop-tuned seven string in the top 12 frets. They really are niche instruments, but I don't see them going anywhere necessarily, they just might be harder to find with differing finish options without going custom.

19. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, I've been saying that since not long after I first switched to sevens, that the secret to a punchy low end on even a low B is a brighter, cleaner tone, to maximize the attack. And back then I even played a fair amount of heavier stuff. :lol:

I think that's maybe the root of it, for me, though - it'd be kind of a niche thing for me, too, and would come with some compromises that, for me, a seven doesn't really struggle with (the high e string sounds fine all the way up on a 25.5" seven, while the low B still chugs well enough if you want it to). A low F# gets trickier, and I haven't looked at options in a while I'll confess but most of the ones I've seen are long scale with EMGs to maximize the chug factor, while I'd rather have something optimized for the middle register.

20. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

I also want to add I have been tuning up to Drop F and utilizing a second higher string