Are 8 strings dead?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by r3tr0sp3ct1v3, Dec 16, 2018.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

By that metric, most custom builders wouldn't be "custom guitar makers". :lol:

2. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

I'm going to be that guy and play devil's advocate here. I never truly understood the point of an 8 string. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of talented players that actually utilize it, but I'd say about 90% of 8 string players don't. Just buy a baritone 7 string and set it up like an 8 without the high E. Just my :2c:

Also the fact that 8 string is far too niche for companies to make them.

3. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

If you only do a few body styles, a few scale lengths, and a few string counts....are you really a custom guitar maker?

4. GunpointMetal

I see this being said a lot, but IRL 9/10 eight-string players I've seen live are utilizing the entire range of the instrument and are more than capable players. Some guitarists seem to think there's a huge difference in chugging your bottom three strings and only going above the 12th fret on the high strings sometimes on a six string (totally acceptable, look at most classic/thrash metal rhythm guitarists), and doing the same thing on an eight-string.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Well, yes. If you make guitars to order with customer supplied specs, you are a "custom" guitar maker.

jephjacques likes this.
  6. GunpointMetal

I guess, just not custom enough for me to be able to spend any money. Which is a shame, because I dig some of the Keisel body styles, but I have no use for a 27" scale eight.

7. Albake21

Well there is a reason why they are playing to a live audience. But really think about how many 8 string players there are in the world. I'd bet my life savings most don't utilize it. Hell just think about how many "dj0nt br00tz" bands use 8 strings and never touch higher strings, especially the high E. I sure as hell can think of a lot. Hence why a baritone 7 would work perfectly fine for most 8 string players.

8. GunpointMetal

I guess I don't listen to that kind of music, because even the few deathcore bands I've seen with eight and up strings are usually a little more musically inclined. I guess if you mean the bedroom bands that never play shows, then maybe. But like I said, guitarist have this weird thing where its perfectly fine to only play the three bottom strings and chug away all day on a six string, but if you do it on an 8 string, you're just a dumb djent kid.

9. Albake21

You literally just explained my problem with 8 strings. The thing with an 8 string is to give extra strings, otherwise you can just get a baritone. Baritones have been around for a very long time. If you want to chug away on a 6 string, by all means go for it. You aren't buying anything specific to do that, you are just playing a normal 6 string. Now if you specifically buy an 8 string and only chug the lowest 3 strings, then yeah it's a waste because you bought that 8 string for no reason at all and I would call you a dumb djent kid. Reason being is because you can do the same thing with less strings, but for some reason you still bought the 8 for whatever reason.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  10. GunpointMetal

So, NOT using less strings is fine, lol. That makes absolutely zero sense to me, but everyone thinks differently, I guess. I play in a deathcore band right now with my 9 strings and I use the high E maybe three times in our whole set, but I'm not gonna go buy a 30" scale 8 string just so I'm not NOT using less strings, lol.

Masoo2 likes this.
  11. Albake21

My point is to the question of this thread. OP asked why there aren't a whole lot 8 strings being made and I am telling you an alternative, especially to people that don't even use all 8 strings. By you using the high E even 3 times, that in my mind sounds like someone that utilizes it. But I will argue till the day I die, 9 string is fucking stupid and has no place in guitar players. But hey, anyone can play what they want. Someone can attach a pickup and 10 strings to a microwave and make music with it.

12. GunpointMetal

Go tell a painter his brush isn't the right size, lol.
    I like having the entire range of a step-down seven string guitar between the 12th and 24th frets, even if I only use that function occasionally. But yeah, on topic, I think most manufacturers have figured out what sells and what doesn't, so they probably won't expand their ERG lines much unless another big artist makes waves with something unique.

mlp187, Masoo2 and Albake21 like this.
  13. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I often don't use my highest strings but I find it to be really an advantage that from time to time I can play a normal 6 string song or a certain solo I like without having to buy an extra guitar for that. Basically for me an 8 string guitar is 2 instruments in one which if you have limited money/space or you travel with your instrument(s) is a very good thing. I don't feel bad at all that I could play most of my songs on less strings because that's not the point.
    And btw buying an 8 string with a scale length > 27" is way easier than finding a 7 string with a long scale length...I actually wanted to do that and didn't even find anything ..

14. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

So I like having the top six strings in standard or E flat because I want that “krang” from the classic open chords that I think gets lost with tuning down (I play lots of just plain rock, etc.).

The low B is great for a heavy break down, chugga chugga stuff, or a change of key, etc. I honestly don’t use it much but often enough to where I never play 6 strings and haven’t in years.

I’m still learning what to do with the 8th string, but it’s fun for dub step type things, slappa-da-bass type licks, and adding some atmosphere/droning. I don’t find it useful for machine gun metal riffs, but maybe that’s what people want the super long scales for.

But anyway: I see a purpose to having all 8 strings and use all of them, though I spend the vast majority of my time on the top six, which is why the 28+ inch scales of some 8 strings are just too awkward for me.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  15. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I hope more people who originally bought 7s and 8s for the sole purpose “going lower” will switch to baritones, and in turn create more demand for them. No hate on 7’s or 8’s, I just feel there’s probably a lot of people out there like me that bought a 7 and 8 string not knowing it was really the extra scale length they wanted, not more strings.

16. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

I can't be the only one who spends most of their time just using the high strings on their 8?

When I'm not focusing on technique or trying to learn any songs I just try and play fast stuff up high. :rofl:

Maximal likes this.
  17. lurè

lurè Can't buy skill so I buy gear

The extra 8th string is there and should be used whenever you want.
    There's no point in "dude need to dj00nt" and feel forced to use all the strings just because you have them.

Is an instrument like 6 or 7 string guitars.

You can play a 10 min song and just do a couple of runs on the 8th string without feeling you wasted your money.

mlp187, ThePhilosopher and Anquished like this.
  18. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Death Will Reign

This happened once I got my 9. It seems like if I'm not paying attention, all my noodling is on the first 3 strings. My 9th string is the least used string. I like it a lot, but its not like I need to hit every string all the time to "justify" it. Pretty much if you like it, play it. You don't gotta hit every string every song. Buy a 90 string guitar and use 3, I don't care. Everybody else is just crying about peoples opinion on the internet.

DredFul, mlp187 and Anquished like this.
  19. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I got an 8 to make more expansive bigger chord voicings for clean parts, and to add some low end for music I make by myself since I don't have a bass, overall I just like to try and use it to expand my approach to the instrument.

Some more finish options on stuff would be cool, but it is what it is, like just one cockstock 8 string horizon... even in black (with maple board) would work for me.

20. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

Lol the point of 8 string players not utilizing high strings and only using the 8th for brootz is invalid. Most 7 and 6 string players don't even utilize high strings. I got a lot of that attitude when I started on 8's. "Oh you just want the 8th string to do brutal stuff and breakdowns. " Yeah I played in a deathcore band at one point but I have also played in technical death and prog metal bands. My solo style is more prog and often times I just use the 8th string as a bass extension or something to add in my taps to not make it sound so trebly.

GunpointMetal likes this.