Archetype Gojira

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Thaeon, Jan 15, 2021.

1. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I've been playing this every day since Friday and it sounds great, but oh my goodness I just plugged into my Marshall and it's just so much better in every possible way.

2. Kaura

Kaura metalist

Pretty cool plugin. Easy to get some mean tones out of it and the octave effects are fun to mess with but I found the plugin generally sounding too bright. There's this annoying high end fizz that I just can't tackle. Makes single coils completely unusable. Kinda funny because I had the opposite problem with Nolly where I found it a bit dark sounding but it's not as present with Nolly and I have much more experience with it now since I got it at release. Maybe I should try some 3rd party IRs.

3. slan

slan Fallen Shrines

Threw together this demo today!

4. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

imo the built cab sim has a nice interface and stuff but I always turn that shit off and use something else

Poking around a lot of the presets used 57s on both channels of the cab sim which is too bright. Default pair is 57 & 414 which tends too bright too I think. Most of the other Neural plugin presets tended to use 57 and 121 so you get the brightness of the 57 balanced by the dark 121

5. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Funny, I'm the opposite. With their approach I don't have to worry about browsing through IRs anymore. They use IRs under the hood when you move positions (instead of a EQ as most plugins). It's pretty apparent when playing at very low sample buffers. You can get all kind of audio artifacts if you move the mics while playing.

Honestly, I really like interfaces for non-tweakers like me. It makes me play more, and tweak less.

The Monster With ., BMFan30 and X1X like this.
  6. Thorshammer1980

Thorshammer1980 SS.org Regular

I'll 2nd this. I'm using the RVXX V2 as my main plugin at the moment.

7. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

This. I'm in a situation at the moment where I have to use plugins and holy hell I miss my real amp. Even though I've got my round trip down to 9ms, it's enough to fuck with my timing.

BMFan30, Deadpool_25 and StevenC like this.
  8. Humanoid

Humanoid SS.org Regular

I really like this one. The only downsides are that the Gain knob is very sensitive and there's usually just one position where it sounds "right". Also, the distortion always have some grit in it, and it's hard to get a clean sounding distortion with this one. Still, it's very versatile and I like the high gain side much more than in Plini which I've used the most.

BMFan30 and slan like this.
  9. slan

slan Fallen Shrines

The effects are the star of this one for me. I like the amp sims too, but I think I prefer the gain structure of the Nolly plugin's amps.

10. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Downloaded and had a go for the last couple days

For rhythm tones and riffs, it won't replace Nolly for me. I've also been using STL with the Josh Middleton pack, which is great. For that reason, I probably won't buy this Gojira pack.

The effects really are very good, very powerful and you can get some pretty huge sounds with it

Clean tones are super nice, including the dirty-clean tones

For rhythm, using amp 3, it has a lot of mid presence, and just a shitload of gain. As the guy above said, most of the gain knob isn't ideal, and there's a very small sweet spot where it's usable. I can't really get it as "clear" and chunky as the Nolly 5150. Assume that's because this is a 5150 III and the Nolly is after an older modded block letter.

Also, the cabs in this model just don't seem quite as good as in the Nolly, just IMO.

11. zodiactone

zodiactone SS.org Regular

I’ve been looking at this but just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I use the Fortin NTS plugin a lot more than the others I have.

BMFan30 likes this.
  12. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Nolly is definetely the best bang for the buck and my #1 recomendation if I could only choose one.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  13. t1337Dude

t1337Dude SS.org Regular

Might have to get this one just for the effects. Ever since mixing and matching the pre-fx, amps, and post-fx in the mixer - I've been enjoying the extra versatility added to my "suite" from each iteration. Some of the plugins are simply too bare or lacking in versatility so it feels necessary after a certain amount of experimentation. I love the aggressive sound of the Cali for example, but it's seriously lacking in the FX department. On the other hand, combine it with the FX from Nolly and now I feel like I'm getting much more value than I was using them stand-alone.

14. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

9ms? That's the latency you'd experience standing 3 meters (10 feet) away from your amp. You can really notice that?

Thaeon and trem licking like this.
  15. Kaura

Kaura metalist

I don't think he's bullshitting. I normally play on 64 samples and Neural plugins calculate(/estimate?) that the latency is 1.5 milliseconds. 9ms is what I get with 400 samples and I can already hear the "lag" when I'm using 256 samples. Of course it's somewhat minute and therefore more of a feel thing than actual delay in the playback although that's what it is.

16. X1X

X1X SS.org Regular

Actual latency is probably significantly higher than what the app is reporting

Thaeon likes this.
  17. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

I've been demo-ing & comparing some of these Neural DSP plugins myself.

I'm having a hard time choosing one because the amp heads & fx on them all sound great. Hard decision since they all let you use your own IR's.

I've narrowed it down to Archetype Granophyre, Gojira, Fortin, Plini. Still yet to try Nolly & Abasi. Still have more comparisons to do for myself.

18. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

Toggle off the Stereo switch to mono & toggle the quality switch to normal. That should free up some cpu resources for you.

19. olejason

olejason SS.org Regular

1.5ms round trip is incredibly impressive. What interface/drivers and CPU are you running? Would love to get sub 3ms on my rig

20. Kaura

Kaura metalist

I use Focusrite 2i4 and my pc is half a year shy of being 10 years old. It's running on Intel i5-2500K.

Funny thing is that I built another PC (which was even more high end than the build I'm using) back in 2015 but I got terrible audio artefacts even with high samples so I still use my old pc for guitars/recording.