Arch Enemy at the moment

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ArtDecade, May 22, 2017.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

This was my biggest problem with post Nevermore Loomis. Actually, I'd go as far as he going full technician after Dead Heart, ok, Godless Endeavour had it's moments but it was less about strong songs and more about full blown shredfest for guitarists to ogle at.

Which is a shame, because this "could've" given both Loomis and Michael Amott some sort of creative re-energising. Give Amott could give Loomis some boundaries, direction and focus, and Loomis can give Amott some new ideas other than doing the same tired songwriting Arch Enemy has done since Burning Bridges. Wages Of Sin was decent but then deteriorated onwards.

Oh well, I guess we'll just get 'another' Arch Enemy album...

2. MFB

MFB Banned

I feel like with Angela they had a different flavor than the Johann discs, almost a second wind, but it was over by Doomsday Machine - which is fine IMO, since there's still about five solid A.E. CDs at that point.

3. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Not sure about that... If you listen to his solo albums, I can almost hear Dane singing over it. If anything, his solo stuff sounds like Nevermore without vocals.

4. Draceius

Draceius I hate everyone on this site

His second solo album sounds fantastic and the songs he did with Christine Rhoades sound better than a lot of Nevermore did to me, maybe it's because I can't stand Warrel but I really did prefer a different vocalist with him.

Also so many comments about Loomis's solos being only diminished arpeggios, have half of you only heard river dragon? I know he likes to whore out phygian dominant and harmonic minor a lot but he does have a lot of tasty licks, like this guest solo (I didn't realise it was him at first) https://youtu.be/-t1WX9WXQZg?t=18m59s

EcoliUVA likes this.
  5. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

I doubt Loomis joined Arch Enemy to express his deepest creative endeavors, if he did he could just make more solo albums or another album with Keith Merrow or something. This feels more like a Chris Broderick kind of deal where he's basically just a hired gun, get a steady paycheck to travel the world and then go and do what his heart desires after a few albums.

I mean, he's one of the best technical guitarists out there right now, why would he join Arch Enemy who already has an established style with an established fanbase if he wants to take them in a different direction?

6. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

My hope was that Amott wanted to go in a different direction. There are plenty of guitarists out there that he could have hired that would have fallen in and played a bit role for less money than Loomis. I guess I set my bar hire than AE did when they brought him into the band.

7. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

Yeah, I think Ammott needs someone like Bill Steer to offset his predictability. I loved that duo in Carcass, but ever since I've kind of felt his writing has been mediocre.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

meh whatever, I haven't liked Arch Enemy since Rise of the Tyrant. Such a wasted opportunity to not let Jeff help with writing.

9. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

So Loomis didn't help write at all?

Wonder if it was by Mikes choice or what...Either way what a waste.

I was looking forward to his riffs breaking up the Arch Enemy sound....

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I bet it was Mike's choice, but Loomis rolled with it.

11. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Same here. That album was actually pretty solid, I don't get why so many people here are talking like Wages was the last good thing they put out, but to each their own.

I think what's really going on here is they're just trying to be more marketable to the mainstream so if that means being another death-metal-training-wheels band then I guess they're up for it. That became pretty evident when they picked up Alyssa on vocals... errr... eye-candy-frontwoman. Angela at least had the voice to backup her silly looks, this new girl is awful though.

12. IGC

IGC SS.org Regular

Seems like after doomsday machine, things just didn't quite do it for me like before. I remember going to see the doomsday machine tour in clevo. and expecting to see chris amoot, and there was some other dude. I was all confused, like did chris get botox or something? Peabody's was a small venue, not many people so I was able to get right up close. I didn't know who the hell it was. Later I found out it was Gus G. Nothing against guss.
    With alyssa, never forgive never forget and a couple others have grown on me some, but not like they were before.

13. KnightBrolaire

she has some pipes but nothing like Angela had imo. Also I can never forgive her for being part of The Agonist (which was almost as bad of a band as Otep imo).

14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I had a couple friends who were big Arch Enemy fans during the John Liiva tenure. They both made their opinion clear that they saw it as a sell-out move. I only knew the band because of these friends, but decided to give them a chance and picked up Wages of Sin, really, just to see what they were complaining about. I was actually quite blown away. The big thing was the production - the mix sounded HUGE! And then the balance of technicality and melody/catchiness in the guitars and drums.

To be frank, the vocals on that album sound just a little weird. I know some people will throw a fit over this, but just honestly listen to the vocals on that album, and you can tell that they were doing some things to mask her natural voice and make it sound deeper and more masculine. I hear it less in her later work with the band.

Since Doomsday Machine, they have been playing around with the foundation of their sound, and it just has not grabbed me the same way. They're still good, but, IDK, I just don't like the newer stuff nearly as much. Or maybe part of it is just me.

IGC likes this.
  15. fps

fps Kit

Because I reckon you nailed it at the top there. He has been in this game a long, long time and some steady income that doesn't involve him burning up his creativity must seem like the right play right now. It's going to bring him a tonne of extra exposure, and hey maybe he just likes being in the band and the people he's working with.

In comparison, having to strike out again from zero with another band? I don't like those odds at all, although I'd love a Nevermore re-union and new record for sure.

IGC likes this.
  16. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Yup exactly.

Jef is 45. To have a solid pay cheque as a touring guitarist at any age is a dream come true, in all honestly.

Starting from scratch? You'd have a few years of no income whilst you built the base up to get the punters in, let's be honest.

All good and proper in your late teens/early twenties when you have your parents basement to sleep in inbetween tours, but the allure of that effort vs return does get slimmer and slimmer the older you get.

I'm 33 and in an established band, there's no fucking way I'd contemplating starting from scratch to get to where I am right now. For fun? Yeah, sure, but if a pay cheque was required I'd find a solid job with little stress asap. Egos be damned.

fps likes this.
  17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

another example of band members being overly protective over their "Baby" (the band) to the point they cant even see they have allowed their band to become stale and boring and dont realise that change could be a good thing.

Loomis being allowed input in the song writing would have reinvigorated this band. But as it stands, with the news he hasnt been allowed, Ive lost all interest in this new album and this band.
    Loomis joining these guys really stoked my interest again because I assumed he would be writing with them.
    I genuinely havent liked them since Doomsday machine but always looooove Loomis's style on his solo works.

Tbh, Amott must be a rigid, stubborn, idiot.

18. KnightBrolaire

I actually went back and listened to some of their newer albums, and they still have some catchy riffs but nothing to the extent that they had on earlier albums. Khaos Legion is actually a decent album, though I didn't like War Eternal much.

19. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

Seems about right, War Eternal is their most viewed music video and You Will Know My Name is a million behind Nemesis, their second most viewed video that was uploaded a decade ago. That description of Alissa is also an accurate statement since she's ten years younger than Angela and has that long glowing blue hair so a lot of the younger fans can go after her image.

The new album will probably be like the new version of Stolen Life, Loomis is gonna insert his solos in some sections in the songs. It would be cool if Angela did some guest vocals in it as well.

20. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

When she joined the band she told them to "ditch to the boring riffs" and Michael was in agreement since he felt the earlier material died on stage when they tried to play it.

Fredrik Nordstorm pushed Angela to her limits on that album. He would constantly delete takes and tell her to try again until she was on the verge of quitting the band. A bit extreme but you can really hear the anger in her voice and why it sounds different to later albums. I wish more producers would push band members like that.

aesthyrian likes this.