Arachnid cabs?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Jacksonluvr636, May 23, 2021.

1. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Lucky you haha.

After I made this thread I started thinking and I did start to remember my experience with Earcandy. It was horrible and while that is not Arachnid or anyone elses fault, there's just too many risks and negatives for me to hand over my money.

@sleewell there is a 4 month wait time. I am unsure about any type of warranty and I can imagine the resale would be a significant loss.

I do however like the LEDs and that is what appealed to me upfront.

As far as Earcandy, my buddy ended up finding a buzzbomb at GC and I've played on it several times. Meh, those cabs werent even that good. Edit: they were good but did not live up to the hype in my opinion. Just another cab.

I'm in the market for a cab and will probably just buy a Friedman.

2. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

That's Mesa cab money so no thanks lol! And did they actually built a cab, shown in the demo video, where they have carved inverse wooden crosses DIRECTLY infront of the speakers? Yeah, I bet that sounds great...

3. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

$1200 for a 2x12 :lol: :wallbash: :coffee:

sleewell likes this.
  4. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Have you looked at the cost of plywood lately?

5. Thaeon

At current prices with a 15% discount for buying in bulk (I'm not even sure this is a standard discount because I don't know what margins look like on this stuff) you're looking at around $700 in just materials costs at current prices. That has nothing to do with man hours to build a cab. Supply chains are all screwy which means there's less supply, which drives up costs on materials. Looking at those numbers $1200 for a 212 no longer looks unreasonable.

Jacksonluvr636 and sleewell like this.
  6. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Reminds me of a tricked out car subwoofer enclosure from the early 2000s.

7. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Yeah I also dig the carbon fiber. The rest is … tacky for my personal taste.

Emperoff, Jacksonluvr636 and sleewell like this.
  8. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

My local cab builder will do one for $600, stained (i don't like tolex) and i have used them for recoding and live several times. They sound fantastic. Old Soul is the company.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  9. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

This just seems like another Vader style cab for the grincore 0 mid bree bree set

10. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

If he shru
    Yikes! No thanks. I can slap on LED strips myself lol

11. MatrixClaw

MatrixClaw Whoaaa No Way!!!

$700 in materials? A sheet of 60"x60" marine grade Baltic Birch costs ~$85 near me. Quite a bit more than it did last year, but not sure where you're coming close to $700 on this... :frantic:

12. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

Arachnid cabs are one of the more expensive custom cabs maker i've seen. Them, Port City, Atlas are pretty expensive and to me not worth the extra charges. Best bangs for the bucks imo is Avatar and Moon Custom Cabinetry. If you are just playing by yourself then you really dont need a lot. Even a used Orange PPC212 or Mesa Recto 2x12 is more than enough in most case

Backsnack and Jacksonluvr636 like this.
  13. Jacksonluvr636

I believe you on the materials.

I will say the guy from Arachnid seems pretty cool. I talked to him a bit and saw some others asking questions, etc. A DIY think was brought up and if I was following the conversation correctly the builder did say about $600 ish to make one yourself. I have absolutely no clue the true cost but you've got the wood, the speakers, the tolex, casters, the glue? The grill cloth or grate. $600 doesnt seem unreasonable these days for all that.

Not to mention your time and trying to make a buck to get your business running and to pay for your equipment and also your skills assuming hes exceptional. I get it, it's hard to compete with assembly line or B.A.D. prices BUT as a consumer, on the flip side helll nawww. Too expensive, pay your dues, Friedman should still be the most expensive cab haha.

Ive been looking around. Not sure about shipping costs but even small (known) custom builders like Zilla and Emperor have a lower base cost.

14. Eyelessfiend

Eyelessfiend SS.org Regular

Was pretty much my thoughts. And I used to use Vader cabs in a grindcore band but I love muh mids. Kinda just wish Vader would come back full time.

Necky379 likes this.
  15. Thaeon

Yeah, they make LED inserts for 12" speakers. Don't know if they'd work on a front loaded cab, but certainly should on a rear loaded one. I guess the distance from speaker to grill cloth would come into play here.

Handle/s, corners, castors, tolex/stain, speakers, grill cloth, and at least two sheets of 60x60 depending on dimensions. You have to over estimate on wood materials too because there's going to be waste. The edges are never suitable for joins so they'll have to be cut down regardless. On several supply sights, I've only seen 24x48 for $80. 60x60 isn't even an option.

My question is, for how long are those builders going to be able to maintain those costs before passing that on to the customer. Emperor uses a lot of solid wood in their construction rather than ply and I have no idea how those numbers have been affected by current supply issues. We're just starting to see some of the pricing increases as fallout from supply chain issues. The relative buying power of money is going to tank in response to this fallout. The far reaching consequences of COVID and our terrible response to it here in the US isn't yet very clear. But costs ARE going to go way up. Prepare yourself.

16. Jacksonluvr636

Ive been on a buying spree recently and also stocking up on crypto haha

Thaeon likes this.
  17. Jacksonluvr636

Oh no, the LEDs are extra haha. TBH if everything was included I may have bought one.

IIRC the $1,200 was base cost PLUS shipping. The LEDs are $150, if you want that cool carbon tolex that is $75, even the grill cloth looks to possibly cost extra. (wondering what you end up with without upgrading, no cloth at all? Can't be right.)

It is very understandable to pay for upgrades but the base price is too much for me.

18. sonoftheoldnorth

sonoftheoldnorth SS.org Regular

What DO Vader cabs actually sound like? In fact, what do any popular cabs sound like?

Considering we all know how much cabs and speakers have an effect on tone, compared to amps; the descriptions of cabs from the manufacturers themselves aren't particularly great, at least in my experience (with the exception of a few manufacturers, ie Friedman paints a detailed idea of their cabs sound)

I suppose this all comes down to what amp is going into the cab, what speakers and how they interact with what frequencies are being exaggerated or cut etc.

It's a strange one though, isn't it?

19. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

I'll give it a try:

"Our cabs have powerful tight bass, big fat open mids and clear-but-not-harsh highs"

Give me 10.

20. sonoftheoldnorth

sonoftheoldnorth SS.org Regular

Ha exactly. The same kind of thing with pickups. Just kind of buzzwords and what most players want to hear. It seems like one of those things you just can't really know until you try it. Sorta like food?

Thaeon and Jacksonluvr636 like this.