Aortic Valve Replacement II: This Time Its TAVR(A tale of heart failure)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Aaron, Sep 16, 2020 at 12:24 AM.

1. Aaron

Aaron SS.org Regular

So, i started getting sick back in July and had every symptom of COVID-19 so of course i and everyone else assumed i had it especially since i had just travelled back from Tampa, Florida. I had pneumonia like symptoms and a ton of weird neurological stuff. I quarantined myself at home and decided to ride it out. I got tested and it came up negative. I didn't think it could be my heart valve i got back in 2014 since its life was rated at 20 years. Eventually the symptoms vanished and i went back to work and about a week later things went south really quick. I had what felt like hypoxia and my lungs were full of fluid. My body swelled up really quick, i literally looked pregnant. I was having severe acute heart failure and just started to die pretty much. I turned ghost white and couldn't really move. What ever was happening briefly lifted, i drank some Kratom( i know) which gave me just enough relief to get myself to the ER. I found out that my heart valve i got 5 years ago had rapidly degenerated and closed up causing severe acute heart failure which would have been death if i didn't make it to the ER when i did. I spent 10 days in the hospital having tests and getting massive amounts of fluid drained from my body. At the end of those 10 days i looked like a skeleton, my body was wasting away. The hospital immediately started having me prep for another heart surgery.
    Since then, I've had to be admitted to the hospital a few days a week because i keep falling back into heart failure but i regain more strength after each visit. I got admitted again last Friday and I'm still here awaiting transfer to the San Francisco VA hospital. My heart procedure is scheduled for next week and i cant wait to feel human again. This time its being done with a catheter, the procedure is called TAVR(Trans-catheter Aortic Valve Replacement) which will be quick and painless for me. Ive spent the past month being stuck with needles and have been COVID swabbed 8 times and its excruciatingly painful, I'm terrified of it now. This has been a living nightmare of epic proportions i never thought i would have to experience. I later found out that my valve failed in everyone that received one, it's design was flawed. I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel though, once i get the valve replaced ill have instant relief. The nightmare is almost over.

StevenC, narad, Edika and 2 others like this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Sorry you're going through this. :(

Sending good vibes your way.

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I hope it’s very boring and straightforward, and that you recover quickly.

4. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    ... do a song about it...? God speed dude

5. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Damn, that sucks; sorry to hear that.

But glad to hear you're close to the surgery, so hang in there.

6. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Wow- that's insane. With the amount of testing that has to be done on this stuff before it's approved for use, this kinda blows my mind.
    Fingers crossed man- it sounds like it's gunna be a walk in the park from here compared to what you've been through so far but heart stuff is scary. Wishing you the best.

7. Aaron

Aaron SS.org Regular

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

9. MFB

MFB SS.org Regular

Who's still using valves these days, I thought all the folks were on modelers?

tedtan and StevenC like this.
  10. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars SS.org Regular

Wow terrible to hear about that. Hope the VA takes care of you, I've had overall good experiences with the VA since I signed up for VA healthcare in 2015.

11. Aaron

Aaron SS.org Regular

I made it to the VA hospital. This is my lost stop on the journey. Im here to prep for my procedure which is happening on the 23rd. Im gonna walk outta here a new person. I cant wait to feel the childlike energy ill regain from having the new valve.