Anything else I should do on my studio website?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by jsaudio, Nov 14, 2016.

1. jsaudio

jsaudio SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

Wanted to get some thoughts on my studio website I built myself in just one day using Wix.

Any thoughts on what should be added or removed?

Would love your input!

Thanks

SKYLINE STUDIOS WEBSITE: http://skylinestudiosindy.wixsite.com/skylinestudios

2. zenshin

zenshin SS.org Regular

Put it this way, if I had the money, I would hire you on the spot based off your site. Don't get the wrong idea though, your prices are very fair. You had everything that was needed to at least sell me. Especially when I checked the page with your previous work.

The only correction I could really make would be adding a comma in this sentence: "This is what makes the music, a good mix will either make or break your sound." The comma of course being after music. It took me a couple of read throughs to get what was being said there. Other than that... beautiful website top to bottom.

Btw, your mixes sound absolutely sick. Almost makes me a little depressed when I go back and listen to my stuff right after :lol:. Excellent work man. Are you primarily using those Peavey's in the metal recordings? Been considering offloading my Blackstar for a 6505+ and you may have just sold me on making this move.

3. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say you're a Brian Hood fan. ;)

Fade the picture behind the "rates" section or add a gradient, the text is hard to read. You could also use a bigger font for a fair amount of this stuff as well. The main photo is a bit out of focus, and also kinda low res. I'd get something better, if you can.

My site sucks, and is currently going through renovations, so just ignore that, haha.

4. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I liked, and bookmarked it.

I have a hard time listening to metalcore/deathcore over & over, so while I'm not saying they weren't good mixes, I'm just saying that I couldn't relate to them due to personal tasted. I'm more in the British Invasion of Heavy Metal vein, ala Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy, & many other bands that have dual guitarists & such.

Having said that, I really, really liked the Jake Rigdon mix. While his style isn't my preference either, this track really jumped out at me. I heard some originality, but I also heard a working sensibility and a mix identity that I can relate with. You use of space and placement, and eq'ing just the right instrument for the right location in the track was very well done. This genre can be difficult to get right, but I think you really nailed it. Choice of instruments/amps, arrangement, very stellar production work there.

I might consider you for some mixing when I'm done tracking.
    Here's a working example of my own stuff. I won't mix my own stuff as a personal rule, need fresh, un-objective ears.

http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/player.cfm?type=single&songid=13196573&q=hi&newref=1

5. jsaudio

jsaudio SS.org Regular

Hey man thanks I didn't catch that! Thanks for the compliment as well, Sometimes I use those amps, lately I have made the transition to amp sims alot as well I would actually say about 70% of those mixes are amp sims like pod farm or Revalver

6. jsaudio

jsaudio SS.org Regular

Good call, I'll try to do that asap. Or Course, I have been a HUGE fan of Brian's for years in fact ever since i started doing studio work in 2011 I have been dissecting his mixes. When he started his online business stuff and blog I naturally followed him and this was totally influenced by his emails.

7. jsaudio

jsaudio SS.org Regular

I appreciate the honesty and the attempt at unbiased eyes and ears! I have done alot of different work but the majority of it tends to be in the metal genre so I stuck to mostly posting that in my small examples of work on the site.

I listened to your track all the way through and I think for the style and sound you are going for the mix is actually pretty solid but I would love to do some work for you if you are interested you know how to find me but just in case shoot me an email at Skylinestudiosindy@yahoo.com

8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

There's only two things about the site, in my very quick glance over it, that catch my eye in terms of criticism.

- I don't like the gap under the header, above "The Studio" on the main page, where you can see the fixed background through it. The gap is too thin and looks strange while you're scrolling because you don't really see enough. I'd say either remove the gap, or make it much wider so you can get the full effect.

- Your url and favicon give away that you're using WIX. That's not a bad thing, but it would look much more professional to buy a domain name and add your own icon.

Edit: I'll add that if you get a domain name, it might be worth looking into email accounts as well. contact@skylinestudios or something like that would look better than [anything]@yahoo.com

Edit #2: I just noticed the WIX ad on the top right. If you need to pay to get rid of that, I'd do it. Maybe it would be worth spending the money on your hosting (either through WIX, or somewhere else), so you can get all that extra stuff - no ads, host whatever you want, email addresses, etc.

9. jsaudio

jsaudio SS.org Regular

Yea man i totally agree with you and using Wix has its limitations. I actually don't run my studio as a full time endeavor because I am actually a full time high school teacher, but if I did I would absolutely do all of those things.

I was looking for a way to show my work and some rate information in a little more professional manner than soundcloud hahaha. While I agree with you it is not as professional as it should be, I think maybe it is functional enough for my needs until I decide to run the studio full time.

10. TonyFlyingSquirrel

I've got you bookmarked bro. You're on my radar.

I'm fine tracking and mixing most of the time, I do it for others frequently, but for my own music, I need objective ears during mix down & mastering.

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Depending on what you've used to get the site where it is so far, most of my suggestions should be pretty quick updates, I think. Something you could take a crack at whenever you happen to have some down time.

12. TonyFlyingSquirrel

Don't be afraid to post non-metal genre work on your site. In fact, I'd say that you stand more to gain by doing so and increasing/diversifying your clientele, which will only aid in your growth.

13. Tree

Tree Bald Bear

You've got your outboard gear and monitoring sections mixed up!

Also, definitely do invest in getting the Wix watermarking and URL remove. It's not expensive and will really help finalize the page.

14. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

Looks very good to me.

A few suggestions: I would suggest you think about when you write "I" vs "we".
    Under the Clients tab, says "Our.."; elsewhere it's "I can", elsewhere again "we ...".

15. jsaudio

jsaudio SS.org Regular

Thanks guys you are awesome!

I had another question

Does anyone know anything about putting a "store" on a wix website like this. For example I have a drum sample pack I developed that I would like to put there so people could just buy it from the site instead of emailing me directly.

Any thoughts would be great