Anyone using an FM3 / AXE FX III with Baritone - 14-68 strings?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Modus_Operandi, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Modus_Operandi

Modus_Operandi SS.org Regular

Greetings,

So, I'm considering picking up a FM3 to use with my primary guitar - a Rivolta Baritone with 14-68 strings.

Via my current methods - Laney Tube Head or HX Stomp or Bluguitar Amp1 it often feels a little 'wooly' which I put down to the fairly hefty 14-68 string set.

I love the clean tone and feel of these though; so as it's not easy to try an FM3 in the UK, does any kind user have one, and axe with similar strings to see how this sounds with some high gain Marshall / 5150 / Orange amp models? Nothing genre specific, just more how it comes across..if that makes sense.

And appreciate many other tone elements come down to hands, plectrum choice and pedals etc - just after some further input as not been able to find out much else, beyond that fact that the pre and post EQ filters in the AMP block will tailor the sound alongside the 'definition' knob also.

Any thoughts and tone examples would be grand -

Cheers,

-Modus Operandi

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

IMO, the Axe III isn't really going to be the factor here, so much as what amp models you're using, how you're dialing them in, etc. An Axe FXIII run in a high gain Marshall/5150/Orange model should come across an awful lot like a high gain Marshal/5150/Orange. Unless there's an aspect of the question I'm not undetstanding?

budda likes this.
  3. Modus_Operandi

Modus_Operandi SS.org Regular

@Drew - could be me - it's more about how the sound can be sculpted / tailored to suit the guitar input - plying in Bb with 14-68 strings is already kinda halfway house between guitar and bass - as many amps are voiced differently it can often feel like I'm 'fighting' with something to make it work - as an example I often have to use 2x drive pedals up front of both my tube amp and amp1 to get it to get a good chug going on - and that's not due to gain, but more voicing which I feel I'm needing to curate before I can enjoy playing.

This then becomes a balancing act as making a tone with too little bass = anemic, and too much bass = blart city.

Also my current signal chain is guitar > Amp > Two Notes CAB > Suhr Reactive Load > Mackie Mixer > Heaphones / monitors or soundcard (Audient ID22 - not an issue) so conscious if gain-staging plays a role here....

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

My gut reaction is going to be that gain staging always matters.

That being said, I've been noodling with an FM3 for both guitars (6s and 7s) and bass, and I see no reason it wouldn't be suitable for a baritone. If what you want is lots of tools to sculpt with, the FM3 can potentially give you that. Lots of ways to do subtle EQ and dynamics things at several points in the chain. Want to EQ or level out the instrument before it hits your amp or drive pedal? Easy. Want to stick an EQ between the pre and power, like you'd do with a eq pedal in the loop? Sure. Want to split your signal in three, put two through drives, and blend them back together with the clean so that the bottom end stays dry? You can probably do that.

FM3 has some limitations in terms of number of things it can run at the same time because it's got less DSP power, but there's still a lot there.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

No, I mean, I get that - low tuned guitars, even fairly "normal" tunings like Bb, can take a bit of finesse to dial in right, and thicker strings trade a bit of impact (which helps) for thickness, which is less needed at those tunings. It definitely can be done; I used to use a 68 low B in B standard and while I tended to go brighter/clearer more than heavily saturated chug, it works.

But, I think what I'm trying to say is, the Axe FX isn't going to be the defining factor here. There's nothing in articular about that particular modeler that makes it inappropriate for low Bb tuning or for 14-68 strings. I guarantee you some models in there, dialed appropriately, will sound great. I also guarantee you some models are going to sound like crap because the amp the Axe FX III is modeling doesn't have the low end clarity and headroom necessary to reproduce a low Bb, but that's hardly the Axe's fault.

TedEH likes this.
  6. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

But the tweakability is within it to deliver that if need be. Anytime I have issues with excess flub or depth in an amp, I can go to the Speaker Impedance Curves and fine tune the shit out of them until it’s gone (or vice versa with high end) which is something that can’t be done with other modelers.

With everything in it being fully tweakable, the EQ’s in the drive pedals, the Input/Output EQ’s in the amp block, lo/hi cuts in the cab block, PEQ’s, MultiBand Comp, etc, there’s more than enough tools in it to dial in or out whatever you don’t dig about a certain amp. If you’re 90% there, you can certainly find an area to tweak to get the last 10%.

7. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

You really should provide some tone examples. It's extremely like that this is a user error case and you're not using your gear to its full potential.

I can't recommend anything with the amp side of things, but with the Stomp you have a number of tone shaping options. An EQ before the amp (multiple options here), a multiband compressor to tame the low end, the amps need to be dialed in a specific way (master volume on Helix models has the same taper as on the original amps, and on some models you get into power amp distortion territory on values as low as 3-4). The age old trick of a TS-style overdrive in front of the amp is there too. IRs have an enormous effect on the sound, your issue might be as simple as not finding the right IR.