Anyone use Eventide plugins/iLok software?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Descent, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Just bought the Blackhole plugin and it won't install. The software for the plugin installed but the useless iLok license validation crashes on install. Running Win7 64bit.

Error below: installerror.jpg

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The iLok is absolute garbage. I've never not had problems with it and avoid all software that requires it.

The only *legal* way to get it working is to keep trying it, check out the iLok support pages, and contact their customer service (get ready to bash your head against the wall).

You'll eventually get it working, but it's not fun.

It's very fussy about specific Windows updates and requires a full uninstall before trying again. So Google the error you're getting and try to find a support page that lists the specific Win7 update/build list that works.

3. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

I paid for ilok crap.
    It failed on me multiple times
    Ended up borrowing a pirate copy and using it for a legitimate plugin that I had bought.

I really miss those days when I could just buy a dll file of the vst and just use.

Descent likes this.
  4. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

^ I hear you. I didn't give up on iLok quite a few years ago. Now the price of that Eventide plugin was so good that I went ahead and bought it without knowing I have to use iLok garbage. Thought about returning it beforehand but said it can't be too hard...well, it doesn't work and it is such a miniscule effect, I'm not going to force Win updates that will break something else.

5. Sanrek

Sanrek SS.org Regular

As MaxOfMetal mentioned, the Pace installer is very temperamental and used to require specific Win7 updates.
    (So far as I know, they removed some of the updates requirements at the time (see this GS thread from 2017 about this very issue), but they might have brought other ones back).

The only main thing aside from that, is obviously to run the installer with admin privileges if you haven't already - and contact Ilok support, but that's definitely not the most enjoyable experience, at all.

6. coffeeflush

iLOK support accused me of having a fake copy of the software, had to send an email to plugin publisher etc. Have never been so irritated in my life and I work in construction execution !

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Yeah, they made me send them tons of screen shots as well as the invoice from the retailer I purchased from.

Super annoying.

The first couple tiers of support are just awful to grind through, but once you reach an actual member of the team you'll get some results.

8. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

I've requested refund from the company selling it. If they reneg I am having the money stopped via Paypal. This is definitely bad business practices.

The seller now has to ask Eventide to refund me, weirdest thing I've heard.

9. coffeeflush

Facepalm.

This sucks man. The blackhole definately sounds really cool. But I agree with your action. Getting the plugins to activate cost me playing time and needless headache. With sometime, it might be possible as Max of Metal said, but its easier to just get the pedal.
    I am not a full time guitar player and I don't have the time for this , which id rather spend playing.

Plugin sellers are hurting their own profits more with these practices.

10. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Yeah, the iLok thing is a mess. The guys I bought from (pluginboutique) got me a refund today so it's all good. They also got me a saving code for another delay plugin that is similar, so I'll just go in that direction. Like I needed another delay plugin...but Eventide was running a special and now I see why :)