Anyone tried this "Underdrive" mod?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by VBCheeseGrater, Apr 20, 2012.

1. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

I ran across this guitarheads site today, they have some interesting mods. The "Underdrive" caught my attention. Searched our forums and nothing came up.

It looks to be a passive gain boost, somewhere in the realm of an OD pedal. It would be nice to have that control right on the guitar, and seeing how i never use my tone knob, i'm kinda interested. The main thing i had in mind is tube screamer like boost on top of my OD channel, or maybe adding a little dirt to the cleans on demand. Anyone tried/heard about this?

2. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

I have one of these in the parts bin and I haven't bothered to use it :lol:

Might use it instead of a regular cap on my current build, just for lolz :scratch:

I need a less distorted sound for my funk playing, so this might do the trick

3. VBCheeseGrater

word, i can usually find a use for just about any sound at some point.

I like the idea of yet another sound option right on the guitar. hell it's only 8 bucks, i'll probably get it whenever i order some parts.

my main concern would be if it's transparent when its off. I could see myself losing sleep wondering if my sound has changed lol.

4. Qweklain

Qweklain SS.org Regular

I have not used it, nor do I have any intent to, but I had to comment on the picture on their website you linked. That solder job of that cap and pickup wire(s) to the pot is a really shitty solder job. :lol:

5. gs_waldemar

gs_waldemar SS.org Regular

Its definitely a cool Idea!

The sound demo isn't really impressive. That thing sounds kind of broken. But it really keeps its promise - It's a FUZZ.

I wonder if its good when used more subtle, because they just go up all way and it sounds like a really terrible distortion pedal that way.

6. bob123

bob123 Banned

Nifty idea, but sounds like ass lol.

7. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

push/pull pot, or a switch for it. problem solved.

8. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Sounds kinda like the EMG Afterburner? I wonder how different it sounds i.e fuzz vs od

9. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    There is at least one manufacturer of passive effect pedals, Cave Pedals in Australia. Here's their demo page.

Cave Passive Pedals - Video Demonstrations

I don't remember exactly the discussions about them, but it's not exactly a gain boost like a tube screamer. Do some Google searches and read up on them on the various forums, and I'm sure you'll find some good information about passive effects.

10. JStraitiff

JStraitiff Melodic Mamma Jamma

11. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

If I recall correctly these are just germanium diodes, price jacked and sold as guitar parts :lol:

12. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

You really gotta try it yourself and see how you like it. Every "on-board drive" is different and so is every rig. I hated one that I tried in a PRS, and fell in love with one I tried on a Strat. Only one way to find out!

13. Swyse

Swyse Swyse

Spend 50 cents and get 2 diodes, spin one of them around and twist them together, having them go in opposite directions. make an epoxy shell for it and sell it for 8 dollars. You could even use LEDs, since they are infact diodes.

14. VBCheeseGrater

Alright so i was ordering some parts and picked this sucker up. Its basically bad fuzz. Useless on the distortion channel, not at all like an overdrive. I could see using it for the wah part in "Bulls on parade" which we play, or something like that. here's a clip.

Underdrive Mod