Anyone tried playing a Fireball into a combo?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by neurosis, Jan 23, 2011.

1. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Hi folks!

So. I just got a ENGL Fireball 60W head and would like to play it until I decide what cab to get.

My concern is the Koch Twintone II combo I have now has different speaker outputs and I am not sure wether the speaker will support the Power of the ENGL Fireball. I can unplug the speaker from the combo's back and therefore connecting it to the cab should be possible without hassle, but I have never done anythign liek this so I am fearing I will blow the combo or the head, which would frankly suck anyway since both amps are so amazing.

I am posting the diagrams of both pieces rear panels. If you have time to look at them and see if you know any better than I do it would be cool to know how to combine these until I get a proper cab.

Fireball connections:

[​IMG]

The Koch connections:

[​IMG]

Sorry for asking something this specific, even though I have read similar cases. I just don't have anybody near to ask this stuff and it can save me killing my gear.

Thank you very much!:hbang:

2. kylendm

kylendm Electrical Mercenary

You'd be fine connecting it to the cab. The Koch speaker can handle up to 90w it says.

TS112

That's the speaker in your combo right now. The speaker is also 8ohms so use the first 8ohm output from the back of the head unit and plug it into the cab. Remember to use speaker cable and not instrument cable. Also remember to plug the Koch back into the cab before using it or you can blow a transformer.

3. jllozano

jllozano SS.org Regular

to be on the safe side don't use that much volume :)

4. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I forgot to subscribe to my own threat.:wallbash:

So. I have unplugged the speaker from the back and reconnected it into the head. I haven't dared to push the volume much. The ENGL just fucking roars. I love it. It's superbrutal but very articulate.

Regarding your tip (Thanks, by the way) the only thing I don't get is the thing with connecting the Koch baclk to the cab. I suppose you mean after using the ENGL and in case I want to go back to using the Koch?

Will something happen to the Head if I forget it isn't plugged to the speaker and switch it on? THis is my first head, so I don't know.

What cheap cab would you guys suggest for this beast? I can't afford anything until the summer but it would be nice to know.

I was thinking of Jet City or Framus. Something like that.

Thanks dudes.:hbang:

5. jwatso89

jwatso89 SS.org Regular

Yeah, if you turn on your engl head without a speaker (a load) plugged in you can risk blowing a transformer, so make sure your connections are all made before switching your amp on :agreed: as for a cab, I recently bought a jet city 2x12 to run my blackstar through and I thoroughly love it, and an added bonus was that it was around $250 :hbang: Im by no means a cab expert lol but it suits my needs :) if your looking to spend a bit more, the only other cab i've personally played through extensively is a friend's Avatar 2x12, and it is a beast! they are build like a tank and to my untrained ear, his sounded similar to an Orange cab... just a few things to consider :)

Happy new cab day too! i am severely jealous of your engl :fawk:

6. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Watch out for good deals, man. I got this thing for half the price it lists in stores over here. I just had to drive out of my city to get it. It's an older model, but it sounds awesome. HAs new russian tubes in it. It slays.

I am about to sell the Koch though. Money has to come back.
    :hbang:

:D

7. kylendm

If I were you I'd go for WhiteBox. Not many people own them because they are just starting out but from what I've heard they are great, especially for the price.

WhiteBox Store

8. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

The problem is I can't get anything shipped from the US man. If I was to go visit my girlfriend this month I'd probably try to bring a decent used cab with me. Since I want that thing ASAP and I live in Spain it's not going to happen. But I have heard great things about those cabs. Also Avatar seems to be doing amazing.

From what I read The Fireball really shines on Vintage 30's and on people's suggestion Orange would be the way to go. I am thinking of getting a 1x12 or 2x12 Orange cab?

Any of you guys have experience with a Fireball and 1x12 cabs? I am mainly going to use the Fireball at home/basement/living room to play on my own and occassionally jam with my sister.

I am currently considering the following. But I can't try them in Madrid:

ENGL E 112V
    HARLEY BENTON G212 VINTAGE
    FRAMUS FR212 CB

BLACKSTAR HT-212 CABINET
    JET CITY AMPLIFICATION 24S

And out of my pricerange unless I get them used or wait to save:

MARSHALL JVMC212
    ORANGE PPC212-COB

After seeing Olas tone with the HArley BEnton I am thinking that for what I am going to use it the BEnton is just going to be fine and save me a lot of money. :agreed:

The Orange PPC 112 also looked nice but it has a different speaker in it. And I don't know how that wule react with the head. I need something to complement the head rather than make it undefined or darker. Even though I like it as it is.

HAs anyone tried the Fireball into Eminence speakers? Like a Krank cab?

Cheers mates.:hbang:

9. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

^ Personally, I'd try to stick with something that has V30s (or, a V30, if you're doing a 1x12). The 60w Fireballs tend to be a little on the scooped side, naturally. If you're playing on your own, this won't be a problem, but if you want to jam with people, you could find yourself wanting more mids. V30s are really mid-heavy, which will definitely help to balance out the Fireball.

A V30's 60 watts, so you could get away with a 1x12 with a V30. It'll be able to handle the power, and it won't sound *too* different than a 2x12 of the same make. The brands you mentioned are all reputable; chances are you'll like any of them. If you can try some out, definitely do that. If not, google reviews on them, search for them on this site, and try and make a decision based on that. I'd keep an eye out for a good deal, unless you've decided on a specific cab.

It's also definitely worth looking into a boost for your amp. Go Tubescreamer or Tubescreamer-style (BBE Green Screamer, Digitech Bad Monkey, etc.). If you haven't boosted before, the trick is to turn the gain down (all the way or close to) and turn the volume up (all the way or close to). Then you can roll the gain back on your amp a bit, get some more clarity, and more delicious mids. This'll especially help if you want to jam with a band. And it'll sound br00tul :agreed:

On a side note, if you wanna search for stuff on this forum, don't use the search function. Go to google and type in "1x12 cabs site:sevenstring.org" (or whatever you want to search). That'll limit the results you get to only pages from this forum. You'll get way more links than using the built-in search function :yesway:

10. kylendm

They Harly Benton is made almost exactly the same as the Framus. I'd go for the Benton. Also 1x12s just don't have that bottom end that 2x12 and 4x12s have. Unless you can find an Emperor 1x12. They are ported, kinda like a bass cab, so you can get some extra clear low end.

11. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I ordered the Harley BEnton after I saw a few people online that had good results with them. IT is not made for throwing around as the wood seems to be cheap, but I can always build my own piece of "furniture" and put the Celestions in there if I ever need to travel or move it live. To use it home it just seemed the better option considering I payed around 200€ for it including planet waves cables to hook it up with the ENGl. Also, that way I am keeping my Koch intact. It's a wonderful amp, so messing it would make me cringe.

What I don't know yet is how you hook up the ENGL head to the 2x12 cab. I mean, stereo or mono... the difference is one or actually the two speakers engaged, isn't it?