Anyone switch the Gibraltar Std II to a Tight-End R?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Ordacleaphobia, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Hey all.

I've been thinking about picking up an RG652, but I'm not the biggest fan of the Gibraltar bridges. I am, however, major into the Tight-End R. I know that it should be a workable swap since it's still a flat top. I don't mind having to drill new holes, however what I am worried about, is whether or not there would be visible holes in the top after the switch.

The Tight-End R seems to be a somewhat large bridge so I think this may work out, but the Gibraltar seems like it may be a bit wider. Just wondering if anyone has made the switch already.

2. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

The Gibraltar 2 shouldn't really be that bad. The original Gibraltar's had the super high sides which put a lot of people off, but give the bridge a chance before committing to changing it, the 2 was much improved.

Regards,
    Mathew

3. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Id recommend at least playing with it first as opposed to writing it off without having touching it, they are a great bridge, solid, comfortable, and very easy to work with...

4. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Gibraltar 2.

Have you played a guitar with one?

5. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

6. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Yeah, I have one I can pick up for a bit under a hundred bucks.
    I know about the Hipshot replacement but I don't quite like that bridge enough to warrant the switch.

I mean, I'm going to try the Gibraltar first (why buy a bridge if I don't have to?) but I'd like to be aware of my options just in case.
    I haven't played a Standard 2 yet, but I have played other variants, and the saddles just feel strange to me. Not bashing the bridge or anything, I just really love the Tight-End R.

7. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

I was stoked to have the Tight end R come on the new Premium 7 I just ordered. Been wanting to try this bridge.