Anyone successfully re-painted an Edge Trem?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Max Dread, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Max Dread

Max Dread SS.org Regular

The cosmo black finish seems to commonly rub off on these bridges. It certainly has on mine.......where I palm mute and on the saddles of the thicker strings. I know some people like the worn look and others hate it. Me - i hate it!

So I wondered if any of the haters have managed to successfully repaint their bridge, and if so, how?

2. caughtinamosh

caughtinamosh SS.org-er

I have never painted an Edge, but I have painted a fixed Ibanez bridge. The results were very poor - the paint chipping with the slightest of knocks. I don't know if this can be applied to any Ibanez bridge, but I suspect so.

:rant:

3. MarkyPerfection

MarkyPerfection Violence Advocate

Painting using any conventional method simply will not work. You could potentially get decent results that will look ok at first but they will most definitely degrade pretty rapidly even after the first time you use the guitar, or even during assembly/set-up.

The only viable option -- a more expensive and time-consuming option at that -- is powder coating. It's neat because there's a huge array of colors at your disposal, if that's your cup o' tea. The major downside is that, because of the amount of moving parts involved, the trem has to be COMPLETELY disassembled. Ever notice how your saddles are made of two distinct parts held together by a steel pin? Well, those pins are put in with a hydraulic press and if you want powder coating to work, you have to hammer that pin out and separate the saddle into it's two component pieces. There are some risks as well, for instance fitment issues due to the thickness of the coating itself or possible damage rising from removal of the original finish (this is especially true for the saddles themselves, as it's always seemed to me that they are made of softer metal.) Another problem is that you wouldn't be able to get a chrome, cosmo, or gold finish as those types of finishes are done using an electro-plating process. This is even more expensive than powdercoating, and typically much less durable -- assuming you can even find an electro-plating shop that will handle such a tiny batch.

If you're looking to maintain the Cosmo Black, your best bet is to just buy a new trem, and sell your old one on teh Bay or similar to recoup some of your cost.

To summarize:
    - Don't bother with spray paint or any other type of paint application. It'll rub, chip, and wear off and make your "not too bad" looking bridge into a "whatthehellbro?!" looking bridge with the quickness.
    - Powdercoating, while expensive as compared to standard painting, will provide a durable, hard-wearing, nice looking finish in any color from basic black to metallic chartreuse, glossy or satin. It's a pain prep-wise, but if you're set on re-finishing it's practically the only choice.
    - New tremolo FTW.

HamBungler likes this.
  4. Max Dread

Max Dread SS.org Regular

Fantastic response. Many thanks.

I actually have a friend who works for a powder coating firm believe it or not, and he'd be able to do it for free!!!! The prep side of it worries me though and seems a lot of hassle, especially if the process ends up screwing the bridge up. I like the cosmo finish but my sweat obviously doesn't - seems to wear it down almost instantly. So I'm going to go for black. I think - like you - selling on the cosmo bridge in return for a black one (which doesn't seem to wear down at all) seems by far the easiest and best solution.

Not 100% sure how black will look in my RG1077xl as opposed to the original cosmo, but I guess there's only one way to find out........

.........unless - by chance - anyone has already done this on their RG1077xl and would care to post a pic?

5. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

I know someone here had a pic of Munky's LACS which has a white powder coated Lo-Pro - lemme just say it was sexy.

6. DaRKoN_

DaRKoN_ kicker of cheats

I have a 1077XL and my bridge is suffering the same fate. I love the colour though and wouldn't want anything else!

7. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

Yep!!! Saw that one too... Blue Colored,White hardware,Sexy as Hell!!!:hbang: