Anyone still using the classic Dimarzio Blaze pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by mguilherme87, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

This. Or even better, swap the magnet of the Blaze for an alnico one. Good times for experimenting.

odibrom likes this.
  2. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

The DiMarzio Blaze I still think is the best sounding 7-string pickup DiMarzio has to offer. Some other DiMarzios models have a tighter bottom end and more definition, but usually at the cost of balls and fullness. I personally dont love ANY DiMarzios for 7-string, I think their best stuff is for 6-string, but if forced to use DiMarzios the Blaze would still be my go-to, as long as I had a good enough rig to make up for the flubby low-end (which I do). The new Dreamcatcher/Rainmaker 7s are actually not too bad.

Personally, the best pickup I've ever heard for a basswood RG7 type guitar is the Bare Knuckle Nailbomb/VH2 combo (ceramic version). I had that in an RG7620 and it was incredible. It has a lot of the mojo from the Blaze, but just so much faster response and improved clarity.

Dannyz and mguilherme87 like this.
  3. Fluence of Shred

Fluence of Shred SS.org Regular

The original 7 string blaze for the UV777BK, imho, are some of the best 7 string pickups available, and at the time, definitely the top tier then in 1997 for 7 string passive sets. The set is very balanced, versatile and you have almost everything you need for a 7 string rig, including a tight scooped sound for hi gain. Dimarzio nailed it out of the park, first try practically. For sure OP, good call!

Dannyz likes this.
  4. Dannyz

Dannyz SS.org Regular

Bump.

Merrekof likes this.
  5. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Wasn't the Blaze the stock pickup for the RG7620??

I have that guitar and I'm really not that fond of the stock pickups. Too boomy, muddy and too little mids for my taste. I was going to install a set of BKP covered Aftermaths in that RG7 but the covers were like 1 micron too big to fit the cavity.. :pissed:

Well then I guess I like my guitars to sound like frogs and ducks :fawk:

6. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

No, they weren't. Those were the New7's mentioned above. But you're free to love ducks an frogs nevertheless :yesway:

Merrekof likes this.
  7. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

I have a Blaze in the bridge of my 1527. I really enjoy it. Thick, chunky, low mids, with a nice articulation. It is kinda scooped, but that's fine cause I can just bump up the mid frequencies I want with my eq pedal. And I really like the cleans.

I don't think I'll be taking them out anytime soon.

Dannyz likes this.
  8. Dannyz

Dannyz SS.org Regular

Anyone tried a Blaze neck in bridge position? I've read that it's great if you want more output than a PAF7 without the scoopness/muddyness of the Blaze bridge.

@zimbloth @FILTHnFEAR

I'm gettin an RG 7321 and i want a nu metal-ish tone out of that guitar.

My gain comes from an Orange #4 JR Terror (Rockerverb preamp) and a Bogner Burnley into a Plexi.

9. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

For nu-metallish tones, hi gain and cleans, a Blaze is perfect. My 1527 with the Blaze thru my H&K Tube 100 does old school Korn and Mudvayne all day. Not sure how the Orange will play with them though, as I have no experience with that amp.

Dannyz likes this.